Santorum booed in NH after gay marriage remarks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:13:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum booed in NH after gay marriage remarks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Santorum booed in NH after gay marriage remarks  (Read 4323 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:29:25 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/santorum-booed-hampshire-while-discussing-gay-marriage-222457078.html

This is going to come up time and time again. You don't talk about gay marriage by not talking about it but talking about completely unrealted hypotheticals.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 08:30:17 AM »

"Stop talking about social issues!...unless we want to corner you on social issues."
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:05:14 AM »

Will Romney be the last ever Republican nominee to oppose gay marriage?
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:07:03 AM »

More like will Obama will be the last ever Democratic nominee to oppose gay marriage.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 09:12:20 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/santorum-booed-hampshire-while-discussing-gay-marriage-222457078.html

This is going to come up time and time again. You don't talk about gay marriage by not talking about it but talking about completely unrealted hypotheticals.

The delightful thing about those hypothetical slippery slopes is that they become increasingly less effective as arguments as gay marriage pops up in more and more states. Like, say, New Hampshire.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »

Good for them.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 09:46:58 AM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »

Rick lacks the moral imagination to understand just how deeply offensive it is to not only gays, but so many others, to conflate polygamy and allowing one man to marry one other man. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt that despite what he says about the two concepts being essentially  fungible, he is not so obtuse as to not understand that he is comparing apples to oranges (well that is putting it charitably, it is more like conflating apples with tupperware).

It is one thing to make attenuated arguments based on zero empirical evidence that legalized gay marriage over time, might undermine the family unit. It is quite another to segue off into comparing two men getting hitched to each other to beastiality and legalizing a man getting a second or third wife, when the first one has had too many miles put on her, creating a shortage of eligible woman (probably leading to more gay sex to boot. Tongue). The latter is what Rick does without the slightest bit of personal embarrassment.

One of the reasons Rick would make a lousy and potentially dangerous POTUS, is that he tends to have a Manichean view of the world.  That is not good.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 12:43:09 PM »

This is what I don't understand (and I'm being serious): why do these people booing him oppose polygamy? We're not talking about bestiality or pedophilia here.

Honestly, what makes someone support gay marriage but not the marriage of multiple parties? If your standard is that something should be a "right" if there is a group out there that wants it, and it's based on consent (and not coercion), then it seems hypocritical to deny people that "right".

Especially considering gay marriage is basically without precedent and polygamy has been established in various cultures around the world for thousands of years.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 12:45:48 PM »

Good.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 01:06:52 PM »

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 01:07:09 PM »

Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 02:50:55 PM »

Is he saving the man-on-dog commentary for South Carolina?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 03:16:04 PM »

This is what I don't understand (and I'm being serious): why do these people booing him oppose polygamy? We're not talking about bestiality or pedophilia here.

Honestly, what makes someone support gay marriage but not the marriage of multiple parties? If your standard is that something should be a "right" if there is a group out there that wants it, and it's based on consent (and not coercion), then it seems hypocritical to deny people that "right".

Especially considering gay marriage is basically without precedent and polygamy has been established in various cultures around the world for thousands of years.

I have no problem with polygamy per se, so long as all of the participants involved are consenting adults- which is generally not the case.  Polygamous sects routinely arrange marriages of their teenage daughters to elders in the group, while expelling many of their teenage sons from the community because of the simple math problem.  If the girls are over 18, and entering the arrangement of their own accord with no coersion, then sure, why not?

And should those marriages be legal?  This would not be to the advantage of the polygamists, as the wives would no longer be able to claim welfare benefits as "single mothers".
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 03:23:22 PM »

I agree, the knee-jerk hostility to polygamy here annoys me.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »

They weren't booing him because of what he said, I heard on the news the people booing were Ron Paul supporters.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 05:11:35 PM »

The video was actually pretty fun to watch -- give the man credit, he's not just ignoring potentially hostile audiences or sticking to talking points. He has to know the minute he talks about gay marriage to a college crowd that's the storyline coming from the event.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 05:13:11 PM »

The video was actually pretty fun to watch -- give the man credit, he's not just ignoring potentially hostile audiences or sticking to talking points. He has to know the minute he talks about gay marriage to a college crowd that's the storyline coming from the event.

I give him credit for being a bigot in the face of appropriate intolerance of his views from an audience that any reasonable person would expect to be unreceptive to those views.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »

Santorum has never offered an actual reason behind not having gay marriage besides "Catholic values"...and that remark was just terrible ahh. Well I hope he dies out so Gingrich picks up all of the conservative support Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 05:17:26 PM »

I give him credit for being a bigot in the face of appropriate intolerance of his views from an audience that any reasonable person would expect to be unreceptive to those views.

Your routine is really getting stale. Please leave.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 07:36:54 PM »

This is the sort of bigoted and benighted response I would expect from Santorum. 
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 07:52:53 PM »

Your routine is really getting stale. Please leave.

Pot, meet kettle.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 09:39:57 PM »

How does being oppose to same-sex marriage make you a bigot? Marriage is a religious rite. It should have nothing to do with government. I oppose same-sex marriage because the bible teaches against such acts. I don't look down on homosexuals at all. Just like I don't look down on a drunk or drug addict. Because I too once was living in sin, until I got saved by the grace of God. And through God's help turned my life around. Being a bigot is hating another person because of race, gender, creed ect.. And simply being oppose to same-sex marriage doesn't mean you hate them.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »

How does being oppose to same-sex marriage make you a bigot? Marriage is a religious rite. It should have nothing to do with government. I oppose same-sex marriage because the bible teaches against such acts. I don't look down on homosexuals at all. Just like I don't look down on a drunk or drug addict. Because I too once was living in sin, until I got saved by the grace of God. And through God's help turned my life around. Being a bigot is hating another person because of race, gender, creed ect.. And simply being oppose to same-sex marriage doesn't mean you hate them.

Even if government should have nothing to do with marriage it still does. Thus if you oppose gay marriage for religious reasons you are simply imposing your religious views on others. Remember that government recognition of a marriage brings along with it some very important benefits.
Although your comparison of the GLBT community to drunks and drug addicts is pretty offensive.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »

We are talking about Santorum and he has compared homosexuality and marriage equality to "man-on-dog," "man-on-child" and polygamy.   His public statements are those of a bigot.  And so is your comparison of gays to substance abusers.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies