Santorum said "blah people" not "black people". Now it makes sense!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:04:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum said "blah people" not "black people". Now it makes sense!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Santorum said "blah people" not "black people". Now it makes sense!  (Read 3923 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:55:04 AM »

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/01/rick_santorum_says_hes_against.html
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:58:23 AM »

This changes everything!!!
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:07:52 AM »

Those lazy blahs are all living on welfare and wont get a job. Plus the prisons are full of blahs who are committing blah on blah crime because so many of them are hooked on drugs.

And dont get me started about the mehs. Those mehs are just pouring over the border to take our jobs and bringing even crime to the streets
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:12:45 AM »

Are Herman Cain and Alan Keyes the only blah people Rick Santorum and Trent Lott are willing to be friends with.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:33:42 AM »

I don't like Santorum but it honestly doesn't sound like "black" in the video to me. It sounds like he was tongue tied, but claiming that he said "blah people" really doesn't make sense.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:21:05 AM »

Blah people are the new welfare queens.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 02:26:25 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3taEuL4EHAg&ob=av2n
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 04:48:56 AM »

It could have been worse; he could have called them knickers.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 07:28:38 AM »

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Was.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 08:32:27 AM »

This was pointed out the other day but I guess many of you ignored it because you didn't like the author of the thread. Rightfully makes the haters in the "Santorum is RACIST!" thread look even more foolish.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 12:13:36 PM »

It certainly sounded like black people to me.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 12:22:25 PM »

No one in this thread can say for sure what he said, because they were told in advance who was saying it, what the context was, and were told to expect to hear "black".  Top-down effects, yo.  In any case, I don't know what he said, but his speech immediately before [blæ] was clearly disfluent, so it's not entirely improbable that he actually did say "blah".  I'd like to hear whether he says "blah" in other disfluent situations, though, because in American English "um" or "uh" is much, much more common.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »

I, blah, always, blah, say, blah, blah, like that right there, blah, yeah.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 01:07:42 PM »

If you get tongue tied over "people" I can see how "bleh" would be what comes out. 

If he did say "black" then he's obviously colorblind considering who he was talking to.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 01:09:33 PM »

For me, the bigger point is that it wouldn't take much of a logical leap to believe that Santorum said "black people".  He may not have a racist bone in his body, but he has such capacity for bigotry that it's almost inevitable that it would be inferred.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »

It certainly sounded like black people to me.

You heard wrong, sir.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 04:54:14 PM »

For me, the bigger point is that it wouldn't take much of a logical leap to believe that Santorum said "black people".  He may not have a racist bone in his body, but he has such capacity for bigotry that it's almost inevitable that it would be inferred.

Says someone without a clue about the work Santorum had done in the black community. His haters are so desperate that they feel the need to cling to this even after it has been debunked? Wow.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 05:19:50 PM »

Says someone without a clue about the work Santorum had done in the black community. His haters are so desperate that they feel the need to cling to this even after it has been debunked? Wow.

I don't personally believe it about him.  That said, I'm not going to defend him, either, because I find him a repugnant person unworthy of defenders.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 05:21:10 PM »

I don't personally believe it about him.  That said, I'm not going to defend him, either, because I find him a repugnant person unworthy of defenders.

K.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 05:42:27 PM »

I watched the clip in the link.  I had to rewatch to find where he said black/blah.  I actually think it was a toungue tied moment.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 06:12:38 PM »

So, no matter what is said about him and how wrong it might be, you will never defend him on anything because you consider him repugnant?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »

Well, I really dislike Santorum's political positions, but I have to give him he's actually consistent about his views. Therefore, he's far less "repugnant" than his competitors.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 06:18:59 PM »

Santorum does in fact have, shall we say, fraught relationships with several different groups in our society, so The Globalizer is right in that it doesn't, perhaps, require a tremendous leap of logic, but it's still unfair, because from what I know of Santorum this really doesn't include racism. I can believe that he got tongue-tied at basically the worst conceivable moment, but it's still somewhat problematic that he's capable of being opened up to this kind of question being asked.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 07:50:43 PM »

So, no matter what is said about him and how wrong it might be, you will never defend him on anything because you consider him repugnant?

Yes.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 07:51:29 PM »

Santorum does in fact have, shall we say, fraught relationships with several different groups in our society, so The Globalizer is right in that it doesn't, perhaps, require a tremendous leap of logic, but it's still unfair, because from what I know of Santorum this really doesn't include racism. I can believe that he got tongue-tied at basically the worst conceivable moment, but it's still somewhat problematic that he's capable of being opened up to this kind of question being asked.

If you want to go by that logic, anyone with an R after their name can routinely be accused of racism and people will automatically believe it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies