not for homework
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:32:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  not for homework
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: not for homework  (Read 502 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2012, 09:36:45 PM »

I come here not for homework since I am an english teacher in China. The Chinese exam system is very strange. Some of the english exercises are so hard even to native speakers.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:52:18 PM »

32 better. (IE not sick anymore)
36 hummmmmm
39 excited
40 saying

36, I'm not certain about. can't implies she's ordering him not to do so, and it does not sound like that, so I'd remove that from the list. musn't has a similar meaning but could apply. needn't is similar to shouldn't but also could apply. However, the only one of these words I've ever heard a person say in real life is "shouldn't". Normally, someone over here would not say words like "needn't" unless they were making fun of british people from 100 years ago.

I really can't figure out the answer.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 04:49:38 PM »

Needn't sounds right. She's saying that it's not necessary.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:32:51 PM »

Needn't makes sense in the sentence, but realistically- you shouldn't ever just leave a baby outside when you go shopping, right?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 11:45:14 PM »

This racket is still going on?

I come here not for homework since I am an english teacher in China. The Chinese exam system is very strange. Some of the english exercises are so hard even to native speakers.

Please, please- if you are to call yourself an English teacher, always capitalize the word English.

36. Wouldn't "needn't" imply the option of doing either? "You don't have to..." Shouldn't makes sense, but the fact that a woman is having to tell this to a man exactly what to get, that he can get it at a (wait for it...) supermarket, implies the man is a freaking idiot and if she wants the baby back, she should continue to be a condescending nag and tell him he "mustn't" leave the baby outside.
v0031
China
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 04:26:19 AM »

This racket is still going on?

Please, please- if you are to call yourself an English teacher, always capitalize the word English.

36. Wouldn't "needn't" imply the option of doing either? "You don't have to..." Shouldn't makes sense, but the fact that a woman is having to tell this to a man exactly what to get, that he can get it at a (wait for it...) supermarket, implies the man is a freaking idiot and if she wants the baby back, she should continue to be a condescending nag and tell him he "mustn't" leave the baby outside.

You are my good English teacher! Thank you so much for being so frank.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies