Are constitutional amendments presented to the president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:00:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Are constitutional amendments presented to the president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are constitutional amendments presented to the president?  (Read 1376 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2004, 03:19:01 PM »

Article I, Section 7.
Clause 3: Every Order, Resolution, or Vote to which the Concurrence of the Senate and House of Representatives may be necessary (except on a question of Adjournment) shall be presented to the President of the United States; and before the Same shall take Effect, shall be approved by him, or being disapproved by him, shall be repassed by two thirds of the Senate and House of Representatives, according to the Rules and Limitations prescribed in the Case of a Bill.

Obviously a presidential veto would be pretty much useless since 2/3 would probably just repass the amendment, but I'm just wondering. With normal bills, even if it gets a 2/3 vote, it is presented to the president, right?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 12:05:59 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2005, 12:33:05 PM by Philip »

The President serves no role in ammending the Constitution.

It says every Order, Resolution, or Vote to which the Concurrence of the Senate and House of Representatives may be necessary. While I realize a presidential veto would be worthless, it seems to me that it should be presented to him.

Anyway, I never thought he had anything to do with the process, and I don't think that he should, but my question is why?
JohnG
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 12:45:15 AM »

Article V.
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

The States ratify of Constitutional Amendments.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 10:36:16 AM »

I know that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 10:45:18 AM »

I think the standard interpretation is that a proposed constitutional amendment is not an order, resolution or vote. I agree the wording is ambiguous.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies