A Grand Old Whig
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:36:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Grand Old Whig
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Should this continue?
Yes

No

Hell NO

I don't care

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: A Grand Old Whig  (Read 7543 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2011, 11:00:05 AM »
« edited: December 19, 2011, 11:05:06 AM by Jerseyrules »

So this is my first attempt at a timeline on this forum; I hope you enjoy it.  This style is based on Han's President Goldwater TL's and By A Fluke of the Gods.  So without further ado,

6-19-1852: "Mr. President, it looks like you may be renominated...wait, Scott has withdrawn and endorsed you!  shh they're about to cast the next ballot..."

3rd ballot results:

Fillmore: 235
Webster: 65

1st Vice Presidential ballot:

Webster: 289
Others: 11

6-20-1852: "I stand before you the proud nominee of your party.  I thank you for the great honor you have bestowed upon me.  I humbly accept your nomination for a second term as your president.  Make no mistake, tough times lie ahead.  But I do not shrink in the face of danger!  I pledge to you that we will restore peace, at home and abroad!  Thank you and goodnight!"
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »

Cool! I've wanted to do a Whigs survive timeline, but have held off on it due to the fact I'm working on four timelines and that I'd have to do way too much research. Love to see where this goes.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:05:25 AM »

Thanks Cathcon!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:20:32 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 11:24:39 AM by Jerseyrules »

6-22-1852: "My fellow countrymen.  I feel I must inform you that I firmly endorse President Fillmore over Senator Pierce.  My reasons are thus: I disagree with Mr. Pierce's courting of the southern vote, and his intolerable positions on the slavery issue, which have been taken for the sole and exclusive purpose of gaining the election on the backs of southern farmers.  I fully believe in slavery as it is presently, and I have worked closely with the President to craft the Great Compromise just two years ago.  I believe for these reasons that President Fillmore is more of a Democrat in governing than his partisan opponent.  This is why I choose to cast my ballot for him; because he is a generally good man."

- Senator Stephen Douglas (D-IL); many are shocked at this revelation; it remains to be seen if this will affect his political career.

6-25-1852: "I support fullheartedly the candidacy of President Fillmore.  I will be a candidate for senate this year."

- Abraham Lincoln, (W-IL) campaigning on behalf of Fillmore in Illinois
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 11:24:02 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 11:39:07 AM by Jerseyrules »

"Many historians believe that President Fillmore's aggresive grassroots activism was the beginning of the modern presidential campaign" - an eighth grade history textbook

7-13-1852: "I pledge that if those damned Anglos don't stop rearing their ugly imperialist head in in the Americas, I will go there personally and end these conflicts myself!  The man to stop these idiotic Englishmen and the Spaniards in Cuba is President Fillmore!" - General Winfield Scott

8-19-1852: After Lincoln following Douglas around Illinois for the past few weeks, refuting Douglas' speeches, Douglas agrees to seven debates with him.  These debates would prove to be influential on history, and many who observe them are astonished at the eloquence of both men, yet are not fully aware of the history that they witness.

10-24-1852: Daniel Webster, Whig candidate for Vice President, dies peacefully in his sleep at age 70.  This is believed to be the first ever October Surprise, as the sympathy vote turns to Fillmore.  The replacement VP candidate is Abraham Lincoln, who has become well-known for his debates with Douglas.

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2011, 01:10:31 AM by Jerseyrules »

Election Night 1852:

President Millard Fillmore (W-NY) / Congressman Abraham Lincoln (W-IL): 52.3% PV / 258 EV

Senator Franklin Pierce (D-NJ) / William R. King (D-AL): 39.4% PV / 38 EV

Senator John P. Hale (FS-NH) / George Washington Julian (FS-NH): 7.4% PV / 0 EV

Other: 1.0%

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 12:18:04 PM »

The Second Cabinet of President Millard Fillmore:

Vice President: Abraham Lincoln
Secretary of State: John J. Crittenden
Secretary of War: Winfield Scott
Secretary of Treasury: Martin Van Buren
Secretary of Navy: Frank Paul *
Attorney General: John Bell
Postmaster General: Stephen Douglas

*A fictional character; the Whig governor of Texas
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 12:38:23 PM by Jerseyrules »

Many were astonished by the grand coalition that President Fillmore had put together of enemies and adversaries from across the political spectrum.  The Congressional elections were a great triumph for the Whigs.

United States House of Representatives elections, 1852:

Whigs: 153 (+26)
Democrats: 63 (-32)
Free Soil: 11 (+7)
Independent: 3 (-1)

Speaker-elect: Robert Charles Winthrop
Minority Leader-elect: Linn Boyd
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 12:35:31 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 12:40:40 PM by Jerseyrules »

United States Senate elections, 1852

Whigs: 31 (+9)
Democrats: 27 (-11)
Free Soil: 6 (+2)

While the Whig mjarity in the senate is much more narrow than the one they enjoy in the House, behind the scenes there is an alliance being formed with the Free Soilers, and President Fillmore has been given a mandate by which to govern.

President Pro Tempore-elect: William H. Seward (W-NY)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 12:48:19 PM »

4-7-1853:
Winthrop: "Well Mr. President we certainly have a mandate.  This brings us back to the tariff issue..."
Fillmore: "No.  I will not have any of it.  If anything we need to lower the tariff to create free trade.  The more we trade with other nations the richer we will become.  Plus now all the free-trade Democrats support me, and I need to keep popular opinion if we have any hope of accomplishing anything-"
Seward: "I agree.  We have to keep the confidence of the public.  Furthermore, the last time we were rattling that saber, we went down to defeat.  Damn that Clay, he betrayed our party-"
Fillmore: "But remember who is the president here.  Your job is to push through these policies.  We also need a military buildup if we have any hope of taking Cuba and Hispaniola from those damned Spaniards.  Well, thank you gentlemen, I hope for all our sakes that you get our agenda passed."
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 01:03:16 PM by Jerseyrules »

12-28-1852: "I come before you humbly as your president, carrying out a constitutional duty as old our nation itself.  I remember sitting in the freshman row myself, nearly 18 years ago, watching as President Jackson stood before us, declaring that 'The State of the Union is Good.'  This remains true today, and I wish for all our sakes that we work to maintain that state of being.  We must lower the tariff, and make it fair for all industries. [cheers, with some disgruntled expressions from some of the more partisan northern Whigs] We must work to maintain peace abroad, but be cautious as we watch Europe rear the ugly head of imperialism once again.  We need to protect American interests so that we may protect this shining city on a hill for the next generation of Americans, so in four years, when I ask you 'As you look around you, are you better off than you were four years ago,' you can easily reply 'I most certainly am' without any hesitation or doubt in  your mind! [applause]  We must act now to balance our nation's budget and repay our national debt,[cheers] so I call on the Congress to spend less than what they take in [applause], and I would also ask for a Balanced Budget Amendment and a Line-Item Veto for the President! [cheers] T-[cheers continue]Thank you, God bless you, and God bless the United States of America."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »

Were such things as a balanced budget & line item veto issues then? And would Fillmore really push for lower tarrifs? He was a Whig after all.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 01:14:26 PM »

4-17-1853: The United States House of Representatives votes 132-101 (with 1 member abstaining) in favor of lowering the tariff to a flat rate of 14%, nearly as low as the tariff that James Polk put in place.  The House also approves the balanced budget amendment by 169-75.  However the line-item veto passes by 133-101.  This means that it will not be sent to the states for ratification.  However, Fillmore is feeling good about the budget, and has accomplished much in the ways of legislation so far.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 01:19:12 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 01:21:19 PM by Jerseyrules »

Were such things as a balanced budget & line item veto issues then? And would Fillmore really push for lower tarrifs? He was a Whig after all.

Not really, but the national debt was a touchy issue; both parties were guilty of increasing it (much like today) and really couldn't talk about it without being hypocrites.  I think he would have been borderline anti-tariff because of the fact that he acted independently of his party, which led to his OTL failure to be renominated.  Many southern whigs were anti-tariff because of the south's agrarian economy and he had many southern sympathies, being a moderate on the slave issue, etc.  I'm also taking a bit of creative license, like I did in my other TL because very little is known about the presidents I like to focus on.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 01:20:04 PM »

btw were you the one who said "yes this should continue"?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »

5-02-1853: Many in Europe see Fillmore as a threat to their colonial empires.  For this reason, Spain and the United Kingdom get together, and begin pouring all their savings into their militaries, as well as those in Mexico and their own client states.  Meanwhile, the German states push for unification, led by Otto Von Bismarck.  They have finally succeeded, with Von Bismarck made chancellor of the unified German Empire by newly-crowned Emperor Wilhelm I.  Von Bismarck pushes for aid to America, seeing it as a great potential ally in the future.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 01:34:41 PM »

5-11-1853: Mexico is becoming the poster child of imperial Europe.  All kinds of foreign currencies flow freely into their treasury, much to the anger of the United States.  However, the United States benefits from the German marks flooding their own treasury.  Meanwhile, in Germany, negotiations begin on the unification with Austria and Switzerland.  Austria is pleased by the prospect of German union, while Switzerland gives lukewarm support.  However, Von Bismarck quickly discovers that they respond well to cash....
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »

6-2-1853: Three United States merchant ships are sunk by Hispanila, Cuba, and the Bahamas, as well as the French Haitians.  President Fillmore is quick to respond saying "This totalitarian aggression will not be tolerated!  We will never surrender to the cowardly attacks on unarmed, innocent Americans by crazed imperialist aggressors!  We will fight them till their dying breath! I stand before you today, and ask for a Declaration of War on Spain, France, and Britain God bless you, God bless America, and God, for our sake, don't save the queen!"

The German Empire is quick in its response as well.  Von Bismarck calls the Reichstag and the Bundesrat into a joint session, and proclaims "We will stand with our ally, America!  We will fight this act of aggression by our neighbors, and we will strike them where it really hurts!  We will make them pay for what they have done to our friend America!"  His speech is well-received, and after Germany declares war on France, Britain, and Spain, the joint session closes with the singing of "God Bless America" and "Star-Spangled Banner"
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 02:49:04 PM »

WHO SAID NO!  SHOW URSELF!  Nah, but seriously reveal yourself and give the n00b some advice if you don't like it; I'll take all I can get
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »

6-07-1853: American ships arrive in Cuba, Hispaniola, and Puerto Rico.  More ships are bound for the Philippines and should arrive within two weeks.  All male Americans between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to serve.  Meanwhile, back home Winfield Scott outlines his strategy for victory to President Fillmore.

6-12-1853: The Battle of Havana is won by the United States.  It is a great victory for America, and things are looking up for the young nation as it spreads its wings across the map.  The Battle for San Juan is won easily, and the commanding generals of their enemies are killed in both - hanged for all to see.  Many natives welcome the Americans as they are now free from their European masters.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 03:19:43 PM »

06-17-1853: American troops defeat the Dominicans at Santo Domingo, with few casualties on either side due to Scott's strategy: go for the jugular; pick off the high level Commanding officers as quickly as possible.

06-19-1853: American troops defeat the British at the Bahamas, after several days of fighting.  This is a great victory for the Americans, who are setting up to defeat their former rulers for a third time in just over half a century.

06-24-1853: American ships arrive in the Philippines; the Battle for Manilla begins and ends within two hours after the native Philippinos rush for the Philippino Loyalists in the cover of night.

06-27-1853: American troops head northward to Canada.  Scott is planning a 4-pronged invasion of Canada at Toronto, Montreal, through the Oregon territory, and through Detroit.

07-05-1853: The French surrender to America, and give up all their holdings in the Carribean and the Americas.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 03:28:45 PM »

07-12-1853: America invades Canada, according to Scott's plan.  When the British see the Americans, they flee to their ships, and begin to pick off troops using artillery.  Scott had planned for this, and orders the unveiling of the American response: the tank.  After several hours of fighting, the battle is over, with an American victory.  The Spanish surrender the United States, and in the peace treaty surrender all of their colonies in the Carribean and Latin America to the U.S.  England is not giving up so easily, however....

07-21-1853: The United States purchases Greenland, Alaska, and Iceland at Seward's urging.  Scott sees opportunity to use these to America's tactical advantage for a surprise invasion.  Several days later, American ships from Alaska land in British Columbia and those from Greenland depart for Toronto.

08-09-1853: The British and United States sign a peace treaty entitling the United States to the Bahamas and British Columbia for $800,000.  BC is merged with the Alaska Territory.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 03:30:48 PM »

09-12-1853: Germany exits the war, and like America, leaves not empty-handed: they have acquired their fellow Europeans' African colonies, and have purchased Australia and India for several million franks.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »

10-21-1853: Vice President Lincoln is growing increasingly stubborn with President Fillmore on the slavery issue.  At Lincoln's urging, the Congress passes several Civil Liberties Laws, which President Fillmore gives lukewarm support to.

12-12-1853: The United States admits Oregon into the Union.

01-05-1854: America gears up for election season, with Crittenden and Douglas attempting to recapture senatem seats; neither resigns their position in the cabinet however.

02-12-1854: The Congress submits a budget with a $2 million surplus thanks to the German cash that has kept the treasury full.  The national debt is nearly paid off.

03-07-1854: President Fillmore has helped to usher a new slave compromise through Congress, with some encouragement from Vice President Lincoln.  The law will abolish slavery by 1875 and will compensate each slaveowner $2000 per slave.  This is praised by abolitionists and several southerners.  Few southerners are displeased with the bill.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 03:54:41 PM »

04-18-1854: John McKinley dies and is replaced on the Supreme Court by David Davis.

06-02-1854: William F. Buckley Sr. is appointed to a federal circuit court

06-29-1854: John J. Davis is appointed to the Supreme Court.  He will be the youngest Supreme Court justice ever at age 25; he is a southern Democrat, so Vice President Lincoln was needed to shore up abolitionist support for him, and he was confirmed with the tie-breaking vote of Vice President Lincoln; the narrowest supreme court confirmation ever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies