How does this make you feel, fellow Americans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:45:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  How does this make you feel, fellow Americans?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: How does this make you feel, fellow Americans?  (Read 8849 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2011, 10:45:27 PM »

Europe as free or more free then the USA? Not before we had to bail your asses out of fascism a while back, turds
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2011, 11:09:24 PM »

I remember reading there was one country (New Zealand maybe?) where the sales tax isn't included in displayed prices usually but retailers also usually tried to make the price + tax equal an even number. So all the prices would be odd numbers, but it'd even out with the tax.

Americans - how do you know the price of what you're buying? Do the percentages in your head? Guess a rough figure?

If you're paying in cash it's not going to be a whole lot and I just use the next highest denomination. If I'm at a gas station picking up food and pop and I know it'll be over $5 but less than $10 I usually pay with a $10 bill. Over $10 but less than $20 is a $20. If it's a very small amount where the tax won't be over a dollar I bring in some spare change.

I remember when I was young my mom would always make sure to go clothes and shoes shopping for me and my brothers when we were visiting Minnesota because food and clothing are exempt from our sales tax, which is not the case in North Dakota. Today I realize that was pretty silly since the type of places we'd go shopping usually (tourist-oriented malls in the metro) are no doubt going to be more expensive than most places in North Dakota to the point where it'd at least even out. I'm also sure that while a pair of jeans in a Minnesota Target aren't going to be that much more expensive than in a North Dakota Target, if they are even by even a buck that nullifies any sales tax savings (I should compare and price next time I'm in ND.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2011, 11:17:16 PM »

Actually I also just realized that stores that likely have a disproportionate share of foreign tourist customers often include the taxes in their prices. There's a bunch of stores in downtown Minneapolis (like sports memorabilia ones near the stadium) that do that. I think airport gift shops often do too.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2011, 02:41:53 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2011, 02:44:17 AM by Franzl »

Europe as free or more free then the USA? Not before we had to bail your asses out of fascism a while back, turds

Again: Relevant to this topic how? It's to avoid adressing the claims, sure. Whatever you and your precious military did 70 years ago doesn't have much to do with the current situation.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2011, 10:14:39 AM »

I remember reading there was one country (New Zealand maybe?) where the sales tax isn't included in displayed prices usually but retailers also usually tried to make the price + tax equal an even number. So all the prices would be odd numbers, but it'd even out with the tax.

The Chinese restaurants do that here. It is kind of nice to get a final bill of exactly $9 or whatever. Those Asians are so smart with math Tongue
And the other thing about sales tax that I don't get is how the state makes a big fuss about having a "sales tax holiday" right before the school year starts. I guess it's nice to be able to save 9%, but not enough to fight all the crowds of people who think it's the biggest damn deal in the world. Again, one could just order from Amazon and screw the state any day of the year.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2011, 11:54:37 AM »

Again: Relevant to this topic how? It's to avoid adressing the claims, sure. Whatever you and your precious military did 70 years ago doesn't have much to do with the current situation.

"Your precious military"?

Our military ought to be precious to everyone for what it has done thruout its history, especially an American like yourself

I also think it is ironic that the author takes a crap on American nationalism for thiinking every other nation is worse, as part of an article on why America is worse
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2011, 12:06:14 PM »

1945 =/= 2011
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2011, 12:07:39 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's necessary to have. I think it's mostly been misused since WWII, personally, but it's still not possible to abolish it.

American defense policy over the last several decades, of course, has been quite senselessly managed and I'd be very happy if the military lost a good deal of its funding.

He doesn't claim America is "worse". He lists several points that annoy him in America, speaking as a European, and a lot of those points are true through my own experience on both sides of the pond.

Yes, of course, every place has its faults. Germany and everywhere else in Europe included.

The point is those are things that make him not want to live in America. Those are things that would make most Europeans feel uncomfortable in the States and not at home. I imagine you and most Americans can also find things in Europe that are foreign concepts to you that would make you uncomfortable.

Although, on balance, for me personally....I feel more at home in Europe these days. Wasn't always that way....but just the general quality of life and culture fits me more.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2011, 12:27:14 PM »

small amount where the tax won't be over a dollar I bring in some spare change.

Yeah that is how it is done here.  I don't know if it is a sales tax or a value-added tax, but of course many non-corporate sales simply don't bother with it.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2011, 12:36:39 PM »

It's necessary to have. I think it's mostly been misused since WWII, personally, but it's still not possible to abolish it.

American defense policy over the last several decades, of course, has been quite senselessly managed and I'd be very happy if the military lost a good deal of its funding.

He doesn't claim America is "worse". He lists several points that annoy him in America, speaking as a European, and a lot of those points are true through my own experience on both sides of the pond.

Yes, of course, every place has its faults. Germany and everywhere else in Europe included.

The point is those are things that make him not want to live in America. Those are things that would make most Europeans feel uncomfortable in the States and not at home. I imagine you and most Americans can also find things in Europe that are foreign concepts to you that would make you uncomfortable.

Although, on balance, for me personally....I feel more at home in Europe these days. Wasn't always that way....but just the general quality of life and culture fits me more.

Thinking the military has been misused is one thing... and I would agree

Wanting most of its funding struck is naive. Thankfully Obama is pragmatic on military issues... I think it is because when you know a thing or two about what is going on you realize how critical a strong military is.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2011, 12:43:18 PM »

Thinking the military has been misused is one thing... and I would agree

Wanting most of its funding struck is naive. Thankfully Obama is pragmatic on military issues... I think it is because when you know a thing or two about what is going on you realize how critical a strong military is.

There is a reason why Obama has so many white hairs these days. I do give the man "mad props," as they say these days, for allowing the foreign policy experts to do their job, of course.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2011, 02:18:31 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2011, 02:28:08 PM by memphis »

small amount where the tax won't be over a dollar I bring in some spare change.

Yeah that is how it is done here.  I don't know if it is a sales tax or a value-added tax, but of course many non-corporate sales simply don't bother with it.
Yep. Asian people smart with math. As true in Thailand as in my humble hometown. Although it's really more for their benefit than the customer's. They don't want to fool around with pennies and nickels.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2011, 04:17:28 PM »

Most of that's silly, but he's right about how stupid is that the displayed prices of things don't include tax. That's the most ridiculous thing ever.

Can someone explain this to me? Is it a common practice or do only some places do it? What's the point? Huh

It's true everywhere in the U.S. and its purpose is to make things appear cheaper than they are, for the most part.

Learn something new every day...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »

Most of that's silly, but he's right about how stupid is that the displayed prices of things don't include tax. That's the most ridiculous thing ever.

Can someone explain this to me? Is it a common practice or do only some places do it? What's the point? Huh

It's true everywhere in the U.S. and its purpose is to make things appear cheaper than they are, for the most part.

I think a large part of it is that with variable tax rates, this allows chain establishments to advertise or mass print prices.

With things that change constantly such as gas prices, the tax price is often included.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2011, 09:11:52 PM »

Tender Branson wants me to write up my criticisms of Austria.

They aren't in any particular order.

1. (Grocery) Stores close at 5pm... and 6pm on Fridays, for your convenience. *but we're only open until noon on Saturday and Sunday.. well, f**k off.

2.  Rude employees at various stores.  I understand that it's a different culture and that Austrians, like any good Germans, will go out of their way to be stiff as a board and about as friendly as one too... but come on.  Smiley

3.  They're obsessed with stamps.  You know... the "kachink kachink" kind where you can adjust the numbers and dates.  The bigger, the better... A signature just doesn't cut it.  It will take your signature and four or five stamps in various places by Mr. Bureaucrat, to whom you must refer in the most gracious of terms lest you commit an egregious error in the intricate intricacies of rigid German hierarchical formality structure.  "Oh yes.  For him yooou wud use "Sie" becoss he is a stranger and he is wearing a suit.  But if you go to da mountain and you are on da top of da mountain, den you can use "du" because HEY, YOU'RE ON THE TOP OF DA MOUNTAIN, gell?"

4.  Dubbing.  Ugh... this can only be the complaint of a foreigner and I know it doesn't matter to Germans/Austrians because they've grown up with the "German" version of the voices.  But when you have to listen to characters you know very well speak in a completely different, poorly matched German where half the jokes just don't translate... Sad Sad  I urge all Germans/Austrians... consume media in its native language whenever possible.  

5.  Different concepts of sharing.  At least in Minnesota, if you have a treat or something... you offer to share it with who your with.  And then they will either say no.. or "oh sure.. but just a small piece".  When Austrians say "Oh hey, can I have some?", they mean most of what's left.  

6.  Smoking.  A trip to Austria is like a trip back to 1950s America as far as cigarette smoking is concerned.  Everybody does it... at least when they're drunk.  I don't understand this.  They're not really much cheaper than American cigarettes, so they're spending a lot of money on it.  And because they have poor ventilation in most buildings owing to their centuries old construction, bars get to the point where the fire marshall would order an evacuation in the U.S.  Another thing, 70% of the people at the bar are guys.  And no, it's not a gay bar because it's Austria.  Outside of Vienna, it's the cultural equivalent to rural West Virginia.  Except with healthcare and fewer guns.  And grocery stores that close at 5.  (I might be exaggerating a bit)

7.  Authority.  I've talked before about how I found a strong lack of challenge to authority.  I just think the attitude of "you have your place, now do your job as you're told to do" is more accepted there.  Their education system basically just reaffirms that in peoples' heads.  

That's all I can think of right now...  I tried to keep a good mix of serious criticisms and petty ones.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2011, 09:14:59 PM »

I think a large part of it is that with variable tax rates, this allows chain establishments to advertise or mass print prices.

With things that change constantly such as gas prices, the tax price is often included.

Gas is different though because the tax is a set price per gallon, not a percentage.

And yeah one factor is that tax rates vary. As mentioned before Minnesota has food and clothing exempt.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2011, 09:58:47 PM »

4.  Dubbing.  Ugh... this can only be the complaint of a foreigner and I know it doesn't matter to Germans/Austrians because they've grown up with the "German" version of the voices.  But when you have to listen to characters you know very well speak in a completely different, poorly matched German where half the jokes just don't translate... Sad Sad  I urge all Germans/Austrians... consume media in its native language whenever possible. 

My aunt and uncle hated this most about living in Bonn.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2011, 10:17:36 PM »

6.  Smoking.  A trip to Austria is like a trip back to 1950s America as far as cigarette smoking is concerned.  Everybody does it... at least when they're drunk.  I don't understand this.  They're not really much cheaper than American cigarettes, so they're spending a lot of money on it.  And because they have poor ventilation in most buildings owing to their centuries old construction, bars get to the point where the fire marshall would order an evacuation in the U.S.  Another thing, 70% of the people at the bar are guys.  And no, it's not a gay bar because it's Austria.  Outside of Vienna, it's the cultural equivalent to rural West Virginia.  Except with healthcare and fewer guns.  And grocery stores that close at 5.  (I might be exaggerating a bit)

Smoking in Austrian bars is awesome. It shouldn't be legal here since then it'd be less fun to do abroad, but it's really funny to just light a menthol in the middle of a dance floor or something and have nobody give a sh**t. Do you recall the names of any specific bars you've visited in Vienna?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2011, 10:39:17 PM »

While we're on the topic, businesses that usually include the tax in the price so it comes out to a flat price:

-Bars and some restaurants (typically family-oriented ones don't but ones that are basically just a bar that serves food do. Even family restaurants typically include the tax on drinks.)
-Movie theaters. Both for the ticket price and concessions. I wonder if this is to give the impression that movie tickets are exempt from tax and encourage people to come more. There's an indie one here that gives you a receipt if you pay with a credit card that shows the actual ticket price and the tax which I was a little stunned to see.
-Sporting events and the concessions. Like movie concessions this might also have to do with the fact that it's already so overpriced paying tax would be seen as insult to injury.
-Massage parlors. Wink I suspect that even very clinical entirely therapeutic ones do the same too even though I've never been to one. What I do wonder is how the ones I go to log and pay tax on the "upgrades".

Also I've never paid anything but flat rates for show merch but I understand that the big tours and venues pay it which is why they carefully document everything they sell, so that probably also counts. The small ones don't pay it but it's not like they're going to get in any trouble for it, not much different than a yard sale.* I've also noticed buying a ticket online includes sales tax, you don't get charged at the door, I'm going to guess that big venues just include the tax into door prices and small venues just don't pay the tax.

*One exception is if they're on an international tour and all sorts of tariffs and crap is included. I've read message board threads with hints for ways for bands to smuggle merch across the border or hide the fact that they're a touring band. Unfortunately Canadian cities often get skipped in tour dates due to the logistics of this.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2011, 11:02:51 PM »

6.  Smoking.  A trip to Austria is like a trip back to 1950s America as far as cigarette smoking is concerned.  Everybody does it... at least when they're drunk.  I don't understand this.  They're not really much cheaper than American cigarettes, so they're spending a lot of money on it.  And because they have poor ventilation in most buildings owing to their centuries old construction, bars get to the point where the fire marshall would order an evacuation in the U.S.  Another thing, 70% of the people at the bar are guys.  And no, it's not a gay bar because it's Austria.  Outside of Vienna, it's the cultural equivalent to rural West Virginia.  Except with healthcare and fewer guns.  And grocery stores that close at 5.  (I might be exaggerating a bit)

Smoking in Austrian bars is awesome. It shouldn't be legal here since then it'd be less fun to do abroad, but it's really funny to just light a menthol in the middle of a dance floor or something and have nobody give a sh**t. Do you recall the names of any specific bars you've visited in Vienna?
Well, if you don't smoke it's not quite so cool Wink

I don't really remember any of the bars I went to in Vienna.  I was there twice... once in October and once in June.  The 2nd time we went to this huge music festival that had a whole bunch of stages on an island in the river and over a million people were there over the weekend.  It was AWESOME.  Smiley

Otherwise most of my time in bars was in Salzburg... and there aren't a lot of choices there.  There's a line of bars on the river front and then scattered throughout the city.  The rest of the time was mostly at parties sponsored by the various student dorms or departments from the university.  Those were much better (and cheaper) than the bars.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2011, 11:05:24 PM »

Dick Mack's
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2011, 08:18:39 AM »

Tender Branson wants me to write up my criticisms of Austria.

They aren't in any particular order.

1. (Grocery) Stores close at 5pm... and 6pm on Fridays, for your convenience. *but we're only open until noon on Saturday and Sunday.. well, f**k off.

2.  Rude employees at various stores.  I understand that it's a different culture and that Austrians, like any good Germans, will go out of their way to be stiff as a board and about as friendly as one too... but come on.  Smiley

3.  They're obsessed with stamps.  You know... the "kachink kachink" kind where you can adjust the numbers and dates.  The bigger, the better... A signature just doesn't cut it.  It will take your signature and four or five stamps in various places by Mr. Bureaucrat, to whom you must refer in the most gracious of terms lest you commit an egregious error in the intricate intricacies of rigid German hierarchical formality structure.  "Oh yes.  For him yooou wud use "Sie" becoss he is a stranger and he is wearing a suit.  But if you go to da mountain and you are on da top of da mountain, den you can use "du" because HEY, YOU'RE ON THE TOP OF DA MOUNTAIN, gell?"

4.  Dubbing.  Ugh... this can only be the complaint of a foreigner and I know it doesn't matter to Germans/Austrians because they've grown up with the "German" version of the voices.  But when you have to listen to characters you know very well speak in a completely different, poorly matched German where half the jokes just don't translate... Sad Sad  I urge all Germans/Austrians... consume media in its native language whenever possible. 

5.  Different concepts of sharing.  At least in Minnesota, if you have a treat or something... you offer to share it with who your with.  And then they will either say no.. or "oh sure.. but just a small piece".  When Austrians say "Oh hey, can I have some?", they mean most of what's left. 

6.  Smoking.  A trip to Austria is like a trip back to 1950s America as far as cigarette smoking is concerned.  Everybody does it... at least when they're drunk.  I don't understand this.  They're not really much cheaper than American cigarettes, so they're spending a lot of money on it.  And because they have poor ventilation in most buildings owing to their centuries old construction, bars get to the point where the fire marshall would order an evacuation in the U.S.  Another thing, 70% of the people at the bar are guys.  And no, it's not a gay bar because it's Austria.  Outside of Vienna, it's the cultural equivalent to rural West Virginia.  Except with healthcare and fewer guns.  And grocery stores that close at 5.  (I might be exaggerating a bit)

7.  Authority.  I've talked before about how I found a strong lack of challenge to authority.  I just think the attitude of "you have your place, now do your job as you're told to do" is more accepted there.  Their education system basically just reaffirms that in peoples' heads. 

That's all I can think of right now...  I tried to keep a good mix of serious criticisms and petty ones.

1. Yeah, which is pretty cool. Almost nobody shops at grocery shops anyway, but mostly in bigger chains such as Billa, Merkur, Hofer, Spar, M-Preis etc. and usually they are open until 8pm from Mon-Fri and until 6 or 7pm on Saturday. Why should we open on Sunday ? I think it's good that the capitalists cannot do whatever they want here and it leaves a fix day off for the employees and for their families and watch skiing events, go out or do whatever they want. Almost nobody likes to shop on a Sunday anyway, except the tourists and they should rather shop during the week after work or touring or best - on Saturday - like we Austrians do ... Wink

2. happens in every country. These people often are stressed and don't earn a lot. And the customers are often idiots as well.

3. Yeah, the [German] correctness - more mildly and lässiger applied by the Austrians. Sometimes unnerving, but mostly good. Helps in combating fraud and corruption and unlike in the US or some other places helps to keep the deficits low, because it weeds out incompetence.

4. I always think the same when I watch movies in their original [American English] voice. We just WANT them dubbed ! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND ? WE ARE NOT IN THE US ! Wink

5. Don't really understand this. Do you want to say that most Austrians are megalomaniac ? Most persons I know, are also just saying "No" or "Oh sure.. but just a small piece". And not "I want everything" ... Tongue

6. Yeah, there are a lot of smokers. Especially young people are European Smoking Champions. Most of my friends are smokers as well, or usually don't smoke, but smoke when they are out. Which I also did when I was 15-18. But now I havn't touched a cigarette for over 3 years I guess. But a lot of bars/clubs in my area are smoking clubs and when we play pool or darts in there, I don't mind when it's dusty like in a 1930s Italian mafia backroom. 70% of people in the bars are male ? You have probably been at the wrong bars then. Well, you probably have to go to clubs, not bars - because in the clubs it's more 50/50. In bars, you mostly meet older (redneck) (men) who talk with the barkeeper, or you meet a men's football club which is hanging out at the Stammtisch with lots of beer, cigarettes and playing loud music and singing ... Wink Outside of Vienna is like West Virginia ? More like Colorado, don't you think ?

7. Yeah, that is probably true. Authority and moderate heroism is very important for Austrian parents. That's why we most likely have so few strikes or protests etc. What do you mean with the education system exactly ?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2011, 04:53:53 PM »

Do you really prefer dubbing to subtitles? When I watch something that isn't in English, I much prefer subtitles; when it's dubbed, the effect is distracting.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2011, 07:21:02 PM »

Dubbing should be illegal.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2011, 07:24:17 PM »

Indeed.  The only time dubbing is any good is when it's so bad it's sort of funny.  Like the dubbing of Jay in Mallrats when it's on regular cable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies