Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:43:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49
Author Topic: Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012  (Read 177851 times)
Krago
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1175 on: June 10, 2014, 02:05:42 PM »

Do people in the Ottawa area pronounce it Or-leens or Or-lay-on?

Should they keep the accent or ditch it?
Wilfred Day
Rookie
Canada
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1176 on: June 10, 2014, 02:11:18 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2014, 02:15:29 PM by Wilfred Day »

Brantford-Brant gets honorable mention for derpishness.
Don't blame the MPs. Brant County had a mega-merger in 1999 where they merged all seven municipalities outside Brantford into -- wait for it -- the County of Brant. Despite its name, it is no longer a county, but a single-tier municipality with 35,638 people, a doughnut around Brantford. So this riding consists of only two municipalities: Brantford and Brant.
Leeds—Grenville—Thousand Islands and Rideau Lakes nearly beats West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea-to-Sky Country for syllable count. What an awful name.
The tourism promoters will love it. Don't be a party-pooper. It's good for business.
Krago
« Reply #1177 on: June 10, 2014, 02:15:40 PM »

Brantford-Brant gets honorable mention for derpishness.
Don't blame the MPs. Brant County had a mega-merger in 1999 where they merged all seven municipalities outside Brantford into -- wait for it -- the County of Brant. Despite its name, it is no longer a county, but a single-tier municipality with 35,638 people, a doughnut around Brantford. So this riding consists of only two municipalities: Brantford and Brant.

Part of Brant; the western end of the municipality is in the new Oxford riding.
Wilfred Day
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #1178 on: June 10, 2014, 02:34:08 PM »

So this riding consists of only two municipalities: Brantford and Brant.
Yes, population 132,443. The upper limit of deviation from the quota in Ontario is 132,766. The quota chopped off 3,592 people, a community with no community interest (what is the name of the area chopped off?), to meet the quota. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1179 on: June 10, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »

Do people in the Ottawa area pronounce it Or-leens or Or-lay-on?

Should they keep the accent or ditch it?

Anglos call it Or-leenz.  The accent should definitely be dropped in the English na,e

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1180 on: June 10, 2014, 02:44:41 PM »

Leeds—Grenville—Thousand Islands and Rideau Lakes nearly beats West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea-to-Sky Country for syllable count. What an awful name.  

Especially awful since there's absolutely no need for the name change. It's the same boundaries as before, and the boundaries are the exact same as the geographic Leeds & Grenville United Counties. Maybe it's a tourism issue.

In some of the other ridings, there's been a trend to lump in the names of independent cities (not under county administration). But calling the riding Leeds-Grenville-Brockville-Gananoque-Prescott would be only slightly more terrible.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1181 on: June 10, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »

So this riding consists of only two municipalities: Brantford and Brant.
Yes, population 132,443. The upper limit of deviation from the quota in Ontario is 132,766. The quota chopped off 3,592 people, a community with no community interest (what is the name of the area chopped off?), to meet the quota.  

Also, Brant should remain Brant. Brantford is still in the geographic county of Brant.

And part of Brant was also lost to Cambridge.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #1182 on: June 10, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »

Especially awful since there's absolutely no need for the name change. It's the same boundaries as before, and the boundaries are the exact same as the geographic Leeds & Grenville United Counties. Maybe it's a tourism issue.

In some of the other ridings, there's been a trend to lump in the names of independent cities (not under county administration). But calling the riding Leeds-Grenville-Brockville-Gananoque-Prescott would be only slightly more terrible.

So, arguably more horrible than West Van etc, being that West Vancouver, the Sunshine Coast, and the Sea-to-Sky Country are geographically and administratively separate regions with no common name.  I woulda just called the whole thing Howe Sound, but that's just me
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1183 on: June 10, 2014, 05:12:51 PM »

Why not Beauport-Montmorency-Charlevoix instead of Beauport—Côte-de-Beaupré—Île-d’Orléans—Charlevoix?

Humber River-Black Creek sounds like it's somewhere in rural West, not in Toronto!

Yeah, I would've going with "University Heights" or something. The new name may be better, but why change for the sake of change? Especially if York Centre remains.

Because Montmorency is a waterfall on the Quebec city border. I doubt much people on Côte-de-Beaupré or Orléans Island associate with it. We have a provincial riding of Montmorency, which is a mess. You can't even go between the two parts of the riding without leaving the riding. It includes Beauport and Ste. Brigitte de Laval, which in Jacques-Cartier MRC, anyways, not Côte-de-Beaupré or Orléans Island. So, they used the lazy way of just naming the MRCs (well, 4 of 5, they obviously didn't named the horribly named Charlevoix-Est MRC).

http://www.electionsquebec.qc.ca/francais/provincial/carte-electorale/carte-circonscription-2011.php?bsq=673
The waterfall is on the Quebec-Boischatel border.

On Quebec subject, since the provincial map has been used for 2 elections, the election office started the process of drawing a new provincial map. Given than current map was passed in 2011, that's very silly.

Take out your old maps, Max. There was once a Montmorency County #1 and a Montmorency County #2. One included Orleans Island, and other included the mainland (I assume the Cote de Beaupre area?).

And the rule in Quebec is to change the boundaries after every second election? What insanity!

It's an improvement over the previous rule (in the 80's), which was redistricting after EVERY election. Quebec had redistricting in 1965, 1972, 1980, 1985, 1988, 1992, 2001 and 2011. So, 4 redistrictings in 12 years.

Montmorency County #1 was Côte-de-Beaupré and Montmorency County #2 was Orléans Island, indeed. I forgot about that and you have a point, but I wonder still identify with those, especially accouting for the rapid suburbanisation of Côte-de-Beaupré. But, give than the current name is Montmorency--Charlevoix--Haute-Côte-Nord, I think you're right, Earl.

The issue with Brantford-Brant is than both sides can be argued. Brantford is in geographical county of Brant, but Brant is suburbs/rural areas based around the important city of Brantford.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1184 on: June 10, 2014, 07:07:42 PM »

A lot of Quebec ridings retain their historic county names. Provincially too. When I did that long post about renaming the ridings, I heavily consulted my historic Quebec county map. It certainly aids with naming.

Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #1185 on: June 10, 2014, 08:13:31 PM »

Can we have "Wolfe" back? Smiley
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1186 on: June 10, 2014, 08:26:31 PM »

Doubt it, Wolfe County was split between 3 regions and 5 MRCs. It's a bunch of rural villages and small towns (the biggest city, Weedon has 2700 inhabitants and it's pretty much equidistant of every notable cities (Lac-Mégantic, Cookshire-Eaton, Asbestos, Thetford Mines and Victoriaville)).

It probably made sense at the time, but today it doesn't. It's just a bunch of rural areas whose only link is being near no big city. 
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #1187 on: June 11, 2014, 12:28:46 AM »

I have no desire to see Wolfe back as an administrative unit. I'm just amused that such a thing used to exist
adma
« Reply #1188 on: June 11, 2014, 10:17:25 PM »

It's funny with the "independent cities" thing--I find in discussions that younger municipal geeks have a more insistently "Virginia-esque" perception of Ontario's political geography; yet for old-timers (and as affirmed in common resources like official provincial maps and municipal directories and census stats), even so-called "independent" cities and towns are understood to be geographic components of counties.  Whatever the governance, the commonly assumed and commonly communicated geography of Ontario was county/region-based, i.e. you *didn't* have "independent cities" depicted as such on the map as in Virginia.

Then again, in an era when municipal directories have gone on-line and GPS has displaced paper maps and atlases, that whole county/district/region-based "common geography" has fallen by the wayside--that is, compared to, say, 30/40/50 years ago, county boundaries as a common geographic definer have become as meaningful as tourist-region boundaries, and the only one who care anymore are, well, the kinds of municipal geeks overly obsessed with governance-based definitions but who really couldn't care less whether official Ontario road maps depicted counties or regions anymore...
Wilfred Day
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #1189 on: June 12, 2014, 02:28:43 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2014, 02:39:17 AM by Wilfred Day »

. . . county boundaries as a common geographic definer have become as meaningful as tourist-region boundaries, and the only one who care anymore are, well, the kinds of municipal geeks overly obsessed with governance-based definitions but who really couldn't care less whether official Ontario road maps depicted counties or regions anymore...
I like names that include a city having more than half the riding's population or being a regional centre, like Timmins--James Bay (83,104, with 43,165 in Timmins), and the new Brantford—Brant (132,443, with 93,650 in Brantford).

Nipissing—Timiskaming (90,996, of which 53,651 are in North Bay) could have been North Bay—Nipissing—Timiskaming. Why isn't it?

We find Renfrew—Nipissing—Pembroke (102,537, of which 14,360 are in Pembroke) because Pembroke is 147 km from Ottawa. Bruce—Grey—Owen Sound (106,475, of which 21,688 are in Owen Sound) also makes sense, since Owen Sound is 116 km from Barrie.

Leeds—Grenville (99,306, of which 21,870 are in Brockville) could have followed the Bruce—Grey—Owen Sound model, but Brockville is only 82 km from Kingston. Oxford (108,656, of which 37,754 are in Woodstock) could have been Oxford--Woodstock, but Woodstock is only 43 km from London. Simcoe North (108,672, of which 30,586 are in Orillia) did not need Orillia in the name, since Orillia is only 38 km from Barrie. Bay of Quinte (109,488, of which 41,144 are in Belleville south of Highway 401) does not need Belleville (only 82 km from Kingston) in the name. Niagara Centre (105,860, of which 50,631 are in Welland) does not need Welland (only 21 km from St. Catharines) in the name.

Stormont—Dundas—South Glengarry (100,913, of which 46,340 are in Cornwall) does not have Cornwall in the name, because Stormont—Dundas—South Glengarry—Cornwall is too long, even though Cornwall is 105 km from Ottawa.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1190 on: June 12, 2014, 04:59:22 AM »

I always hated the name "Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke". It only has one municipality in Nipissing District, that is far removed from the rest of Nipssing. I always thought "Renfrew-Algonquin" would be a better name. (Interestingly, Petawawa has more people than Pemrbroke, but is not an independent city like Pembroke though)

I am of the mindset that "independent cities" are still part of their geographic counties and therefore its redundant to have their names in the riding name.
Wilfred Day
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #1191 on: June 12, 2014, 09:30:57 AM »

I always hated the name "Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke". It only has one municipality in Nipissing District, that is far removed from the rest of Nipssing.
The Commission agreed, and called it Renfrew—Pembroke.

But then "Ms. Cheryl Gallant, Member of Parliament for Renfrew—Nipissing—Pembroke, objected to the name of the electoral district of Renfrew—Pembroke. She argued that the boundaries of the electoral district had not been changed, and therefore the name should remain Renfrew—Nipissing—Pembroke.

The Standing Committee supported the objection.

The Commission finds the objection persuasive. The electoral district of Renfrew—Pembroke is renamed RENFREW—NIPISSING—PEMBROKE."
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1192 on: June 12, 2014, 02:07:19 PM »

Yeah, I remember that.

I still prefer my name, "Renfrew-Algonquin"
adma
« Reply #1193 on: June 12, 2014, 07:34:24 PM »

I am of the mindset that "independent cities" are still part of their geographic counties and therefore its redundant to have their names in the riding name.

Well, not necessarily redundant; just that riding names don't have to be so stiffly "county-geared".  But to be honest, I don't even think that "independent cities" even figure into this--it all has to do with bragging rights more than governmental/municipal status, anyway.  Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound is named that way because Owen Sound wants a bit of the action, not because it's "independent".

And besides, StatsCan--which provides the basis for riding draws, after all--includes these so-called "independent" municipalities within geographic counties.  That's the commonly accepted standard.

And ditto Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_divisions_of_Ontario

Otherwise, it'd look like the Virginia map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_Virginia

trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #1194 on: June 13, 2014, 01:04:04 AM »

http://www.recorder.ca/2014/06/11/riding-changes-its-name
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1195 on: June 13, 2014, 06:59:09 AM »

I realized that since he is not the only Mr. Brown in Parliament, whenever they speaker records his vote, he's going to have to say the whole riding name. I get it now.

"Mr. Brown, Leeds-Greenville-Thousand Islands and Rideau Lakes"
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #1196 on: June 13, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »

I realized that since he is not the only Mr. Brown in Parliament, whenever they speaker records his vote, he's going to have to say the whole riding name. I get it now.

The same is true for Mr. Weston, West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country

Video of a vote (See 0:38 for Mr. Weston)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seCxYevVYMA
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1197 on: June 13, 2014, 04:52:37 PM »

After watching that, I think we should limit all riding names to 2-3 short words Tongue
The same is true for Mr. Weston, West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country

Video of a vote (See 0:38 for Mr. Weston)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seCxYevVYMA

Lolol

Related to that
deafcat27
« Reply #1198 on: June 18, 2014, 10:29:21 PM »

Northumberland—Pine Ridge changed to Northumberland—Peterborough South
Leaving the 16,250 people of the Newcastle area no longer reflected in the name. Could have been Northumberland—Newcastle—Peterborough South. Only 11,063 people are in "Peterborough South."

I think this would be more appropriate:
Northumberland-Clarke-Peteborough South

I think the historical name for the area in Clarington that is in this riding is more appropriate then just one town. There's just to many.

Clarke Township was created in 1792 out of the communities that would become the easternmsot ward of Clarington in 1974. And only the easternmost is in the Northumberland-Peterborough SOuth Riding.

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1199 on: June 18, 2014, 10:59:29 PM »

Yeah, I would've going with "University Heights" or something. The new name may be better, but why change for the sake of change? Especially if York Centre remains.

Why not rename York Centre "Downsview"?
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies