Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:04:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 49
Author Topic: Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012  (Read 179896 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: March 07, 2013, 10:27:49 PM »

I love this service! 

As for the University-Rosedale taking in the gay village...not sure I want to encourage this horrible riding idea!

Oddly enough University-Oakwood and Forest Hill-Rosedale may be an easier sell than Mount Pleasant, even though I think the "new" St. Paul's and Mount Pleasant riding idea seems more rational.    Trying to use Bloor St. as the community of interest divide in central Toronto seems to make more sense.

Anyway thinking of who would run for the NDP in the "Annex-centric riding" in 2015...very interesting.  Maybe Brian Topp, a Craig Scott-type candidate, Naomi Klein or Avi Lewis even...
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #826 on: March 07, 2013, 10:31:43 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2013, 01:48:58 AM by King of Kensington »

So King of Kensington, what was their response? was their any idea if Olivia will speak out against the final report at the procedure committee?

I think benj's Trinity-Spadina - south of Queen + Hillcrest/Bracondale would be what Olivia would come up with if she could gerrymander her own riding!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #827 on: March 07, 2013, 11:32:01 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2013, 11:46:58 PM by Hatman »

If you're doing requests, why not do a map with 4 skinny ridings? Give them some historical provincialeque names. Smiley

I would love to see this! it would be like the 60's-70's all over again!

You people are insatiable!

Skinny Alternative - Federal

Skinny Alternative - Provincial

My riding names are boring, so please rename them to your collective hearts delight.

Here's my old school names for your ridings:

Toronto--Parliament: St. David
Toronto--Yonge: St. George
Toronto--Spadina: St. Andrew--St. Patrick
Toronto--Christie: Bracondale--Bellwoods
Toronto--Dufferin: Dovercourt
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #828 on: March 08, 2013, 12:43:58 AM »

Parliament? Isn't that name reserved for the Ottawa one, while Toronto one is an Assembly?
(Or even Queens' Park?)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #829 on: March 08, 2013, 09:07:59 AM »

Parliament? Isn't that name reserved for the Ottawa one, while Toronto one is an Assembly?
(Or even Queens' Park?)

I think he's referring to Parliament Street.
Benj

« Reply #830 on: March 08, 2013, 09:16:02 AM »

The traditional names were usually street names, no? So, just drop the "Toronto" part of the names. Dufferin, Christie, Spadina, Yonge, Parliament. Of course Dufferin is confusing with the actual Dufferin, and Parliament is also problematic, but back in ye olde days they might have done it that way anyway.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #831 on: March 08, 2013, 09:18:44 AM »

The traditional names were usually street names, no? So, just drop the "Toronto" part of the names. Dufferin, Christie, Spadina, Yonge, Parliament. Of course Dufferin is confusing with the actual Dufferin, and Parliament is also problematic, but back in ye olde days they might have done it that way anyway.

No, the traditional names had nothing to do with streets- at least not the names I used.
Krago
« Reply #832 on: March 08, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »

Here's my final (?) proposal for downtown Toronto:

• leave Davenport and St. Paul's alone
  • keep all of Kensington/Chinatown in Trinity-Spadina
  • unite the University area within TS
  • use Queen St (mostly) as the northern boundary of Fort York (Condoland!)
  • keep Regent Park and Rosedale in the same riding, as they share a community of interest

Option Whatever - Federal

Option Whatever - Provincial
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #833 on: March 08, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »

• keep Regent Park and Rosedale in the same riding, as they share a community of interest

Looks great. Basically one safe NDP seat, one safe Liberal seat and a swing seat (Fort York).
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #834 on: March 08, 2013, 02:43:44 PM »

... Regent Park and Rosedale share a community of interest? being what?
Benj

« Reply #835 on: March 08, 2013, 02:53:10 PM »

Presumably, having been in the same seat before. It's a nice least-change map for creating a condo seat, but the Toronto Centre riding continues to be a mash of areas with no cohesive identity.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #836 on: March 08, 2013, 03:57:46 PM »

Presumably, having been in the same seat before. It's a nice least-change map for creating a condo seat, but the Toronto Centre riding continues to be a mash of areas with no cohesive identity.

Which is the biggest problem with TC, it's rather have a massively changed map if it addressed putting/keeping real communities of interest together (Ethnic, linguistic, cultural...). Thats why i prefer the Benji map that Krago put together. 
Krago
« Reply #837 on: March 08, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2013, 04:43:03 PM by Krago »

Which is the biggest problem with TC, it's rather have a massively changed map if it addressed putting/keeping real communities of interest together (Ethnic, linguistic, cultural...). Thats why i prefer the Benji map that Krago put together.  

It was a joke!  Rosedale and Regent Park don't have anything in common!  Though it's true, they have shared the same riding - both federally and provincially - since God knows when.

Downtown Toronto is filled with distinctive communities, and when you need to get 100,000 people in a riding, you're going to have some strange bedfellows.

Olivia Chow would adore the 'Benji' map.  Now all you have to do is convince Jonah Schein to give up an area where the NDP won by 700 votes for an area where they lost to the Libs by 900 - a 1,600 vote swing in a riding he carried by 1,414!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #838 on: March 08, 2013, 04:43:42 PM »

LOL

I guess it's like Vanier and Rockcliffe Park in Ottawa. Those two neighbourhoods were once in two different ridings though, but haven't been since 1987. They are in different municipal wards, though.
Benj

« Reply #839 on: March 08, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2013, 05:25:25 PM by Benj »

It was a joke!  Rosedale and Regent Park don't have anything in common!  Though it's true, they have shared the same riding - both federally and provincially - since God knows when.

Downtown Toronto is filled with distinctive communities, and when you need to get 100,000 people in a riding, you're going to have some strange bedfellows.

Olivia Chow would adore the 'Benji' map.  Now all you have to do is convince Jonah Schein to give up an area where the NDP won by 700 votes for an area where they lost to the Libs by 900 - a 1,600 vote swing in a riding he carried by 1,414!

I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping Davenport the same if the other ridings don't have to change much. Also, my impression was that the provincial ridings were not going to change with the redistribution--is that not the case?

(Also, the area moved into Davenport is from a riding the NDP did not seriously contest, federally or provincially, so presumably their vote there is a bit depressed.)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #840 on: March 08, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »

(Also, the area moved into Davenport is from a riding the NDP did not seriously contest, federally or provincially, so presumably their vote there is a bit depressed.)

I grew up very near that pocket around Hillcrest Park (western edge of St. Paul's) and that is very true.  It's demographically similar to territory just to the west of Winona which votes heavily NDP but votes largely Liberal federally and provincially because the NDP was never in contention in St. Paul's. 

I'm sure the St. Paul's NDP is ticked that a map where the NDP would have been competitive in St. Paul's was lobbied down by the T-S riding association. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #841 on: March 08, 2013, 06:08:03 PM »

We don't know what's going to  happen provincially, but I bet they will change it to match the federal boundaries after the next election. But, who knows what will happen to the Northern Ontario ridings... I guess they won't change at all again?
DL
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #842 on: March 08, 2013, 06:30:19 PM »

I'm told that what with MPs objections and the need for Elections Canada to prepare a final report and for the Redistribution bill to be passed by Parliament etc... we will not have a final new map until next Fal at the earliest and then it only takes effect six months after that.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #843 on: March 10, 2013, 05:43:28 PM »

LOL

I guess it's like Vanier and Rockcliffe Park in Ottawa. Those two neighbourhoods were once in two different ridings though, but haven't been since 1987. They are in different municipal wards, though.
Yeah, the constituents are quite different, but they are so close together geographically that it's hard to separate them.  Speaking of Ottawa-Vanier, I always thought it should be extended to include the Lees part of the University of Ottawa (including those 5 towers, who do not really identify with Old Ottawa East, even though they are part of it technically).  Basically the University is split, although the obvious issue is that the 417 passes underneath the connector between the two parts of the Campus.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #844 on: March 11, 2013, 08:40:47 AM »

LOL

Yeah, the constituents are quite different, but they are so close together geographically that it's hard to separate them.  Speaking of Ottawa-Vanier, I always thought it should be extended to include the Lees part of the University of Ottawa (including those 5 towers, who do not really identify with Old Ottawa East, even though they are part of it technically).  Basically the University is split, although the obvious issue is that the 417 passes underneath the connector between the two parts of the Campus.

If anything Sandy Hill / OttawaU / Lower Town belong in Ottawa Centre. Linguistically the area is far more Francophone than Ottawa Centre, but other than that I think the area has more in common *wink wink* with Ottawa Centre.
Krago
« Reply #845 on: March 15, 2013, 07:27:52 PM »

Reading through the NB report... how many redistributions til they're forced (assuming a stable overall number of seats) to abolish one rural riding and create Moncton West - Riverview and Moncton East - Dieppe? It looks like, though obviously stepping on many people's toes, that would have been the clean and logical thing to do even now, and would probably have happened if Canada used a smaller tolerance.
Riverview is anglophone. Dieppe is francophone. Moncton is split: http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/geo/map-carte/pdf/thematic/LANG/2011-98313-004-305-013-01-00-eng.pdf. You will see the francophones are more in the east end of Moncton. The Moncton Census Metropolitan Area, shown in that map, has 138,644 people, 1.85 quotients. Add another 11,590 exurban residents and you have two ridings. There are 9,351 people in and around Sackville who have to be in Moncton East--Dieppe--Sackville. That leaves Shediac and northward to be determined, depending on where the line is drawn in Moncton.

For what it's worth, here's my New Brunswick proposal.  It creates Wilf's Moncton-Dieppe riding, while maintaining ridiculously equal district populations around the province.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #846 on: March 15, 2013, 09:50:23 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2013, 09:53:24 PM by Hatman »

Reading through the NB report... how many redistributions til they're forced (assuming a stable overall number of seats) to abolish one rural riding and create Moncton West - Riverview and Moncton East - Dieppe? It looks like, though obviously stepping on many people's toes, that would have been the clean and logical thing to do even now, and would probably have happened if Canada used a smaller tolerance.
Riverview is anglophone. Dieppe is francophone. Moncton is split: http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/geo/map-carte/pdf/thematic/LANG/2011-98313-004-305-013-01-00-eng.pdf. You will see the francophones are more in the east end of Moncton. The Moncton Census Metropolitan Area, shown in that map, has 138,644 people, 1.85 quotients. Add another 11,590 exurban residents and you have two ridings. There are 9,351 people in and around Sackville who have to be in Moncton East--Dieppe--Sackville. That leaves Shediac and northward to be determined, depending on where the line is drawn in Moncton.

For what it's worth, here's my New Brunswick proposal.  It creates Wilf's Moncton-Dieppe riding, while maintaining ridiculously equal district populations around the province.

I suppose you had no choice with Madawaska-Restigouche but to extend it into Victoria County. That part of the county may be Francophone, but they have resisted efforts to have their area annexed by M-R. They say it's due to different economic activities, but in reality it has to do with partisan politics I'm sure. That area is very Conservative, and they dont want to be lumped into a more Liberal riding like M-R.

Your Miramichi riding goes against the laws of nature....

There's a more simple fix for NB.... just make all of Kent County 1 riding. I believe it is about the provincial quotient. Then adjust accordingly.

Also, some of your ridings need to be renamed.

Grand Lake--Kennebecasis should be named Sunbury Royal, for example.
Krago
« Reply #847 on: March 15, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »

Kent County NB has 30,833 people, and is entirely within my proposed Beauséjour seat.  The New Brunswick provincial quotient is 75,117.

If you want to have a Miramichi seat close to the provincial average, without incurring the legal wrath of les Acadiens, then you follow Hwy 108 west to the Tobique River, and Hwy 625/620 southwest to Mactaquac.

Sunbury Royal?  Meh.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #848 on: March 15, 2013, 11:54:47 PM »

Oops, I meant Kent + Northumberland. Of course, this sets off some dominos. But you can't be linking the Miramichi with western NB!
Krago
« Reply #849 on: March 16, 2013, 12:37:47 AM »

Oops, I meant Kent + Northumberland. Of course, this sets off some dominos. But you can't be linking the Miramichi with western NB!

Let the dominoes fall!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies