NBC News-Marist: Obama leads Gingrich/Romney in FL & SC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:19:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  NBC News-Marist: Obama leads Gingrich/Romney in FL & SC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NBC News-Marist: Obama leads Gingrich/Romney in FL & SC  (Read 4922 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2011, 11:05:55 AM »

Florida:

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Barack Obama is doing as president?

46% Approve
45% Disapprove

51% Barack Obama
39% Newt Gingrich

48% Barack Obama
41% Mitt Romney

49% Barack Obama
36% Ron Paul

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Sections/NEWS/A_Politics/_Today_Stories_Teases/NBC_News-Marist_Poll_Florida_December_2011.pdf

South Carolina:

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Barack Obama is doing as president?

44% Approve
48% Disapprove

46% Barack Obama
42% Newt Gingrich

45% Barack Obama
42% Mitt Romney

47% Barack Obama
37% Ron Paul

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Sections/NEWS/A_Politics/NBC_News-Marist_Poll_South_Carolina_December%202011.pdf
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 11:06:29 AM »

Sry Mondale, had a problem with the merging ... Tongue

Please everyone re-post what you already posted.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:08:04 AM »

No worries...

...incredible SC numbers...I'm thinking outlier...
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:09:50 AM »

Has to be. No way Obama is leading in SC.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:17:04 AM »

Their Florida numbers were also plus 7 and 12 and we've seen it way closer and even Romney edging Obama so I think all these latest NBC/Marist polls are outliers. And I've never counted Marist polls as accurate personally anyway.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:18:49 AM »

Oversampled Dems but still proves that nominating Gingrich is a stupid idea
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 11:31:12 AM »

The new Winthrop South Carolina poll shows similar results:

45% Approve
48% Disapprove

http://www.winthrop.edu/winthroppoll/default.aspx?id=9804&ekmensel=fee512e3_566_0_9804_3
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 11:35:13 AM »

Oversampled Dems but still proves that nominating Gingrich is a stupid idea

he and Romney perform about the same in the poll...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 11:39:28 AM »

The last PPP poll was:

Barack Obama................................................44%
Newt Gingrich ................................................. 45%
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 12:16:33 PM »

Yeah, probably not accurate. I trust PPP on this. Although I think Newt would ultimately lose South Carolina, it's still Lean Republican at least.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 12:32:42 PM »

The last PPP poll was:

Barack Obama................................................44%
Newt Gingrich ................................................. 45%

Gingrich is ahead in Georgia, but by less than the usual margin for a Favorite Son candidate. South Carolina has demographics similar to Georgia, except that Georgia has one giant metro area and is otherwise very rural and South Carolina has a bunch of medium-sized cities. President Obama could win South Carolina if he puts some effort into it, but I think that he would rather put the effort into states with bigger rewards in contested Senate seats or more electoral votes (Arizona, Florida, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia -- Indiana joins that list should the Republicans tea-bag Senator Lugar).     
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 12:55:28 PM »

Probably an outlier... but only off by 2 or 3 points, so SC could be a toss-up next year with those republican candidates
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 01:03:05 PM »

Even those Florida numbers look to be generous
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 01:11:11 PM »

Sure... Roll Eyes
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 01:18:21 PM »

What is hurting the Republicans in South Carolina is Gov. Haley.  In that Winthrop Poll, Her favorability numbers were 35-43, considerably worse than Obama's 45-48.  While there is no Senate seat in play, she just might put the new 7th District in play.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 01:23:22 PM »

What is hurting the Republicans in South Carolina is Gov. Haley.  In that Winthrop Poll, Her favorability numbers were 35-43, considerably worse than Obama's 45-48.  While there is no Senate seat in play, she just might put the new 7th District in play.

I've seen people commenting before that Haley is very unpopular. Is it just the buyer's remorse almost every state seems to have with their 2010 Tea Party Governors or is she proving incompetent?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 01:48:18 PM »

I've seen people commenting before that Haley is very unpopular. Is it just the buyer's remorse almost every state seems to have with their 2010 Tea Party Governors or is she proving incompetent?

I'd imagine it has more to do with her incompetency than her policy proposals: she wasted hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars in a trip to Paris, she's been accused of violating ethics rules as a legislator and business interests hate her (and have hated her in the past as well) for not opposing the dredging of Savannah's harbor.

I'm sure that general budget cut angst has played a part in her unpopularity but she's been very incompetent so far.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »

I'd imagine it has more to do with her incompetency than her policy proposals: she wasted hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars in a trip to Paris, she's been accused of violating ethics rules as a legislator and business interests hate her (and have hated her in the past as well) for not opposing the dredging of Savannah's harbor.

I'm sure that general budget cut angst has played a part in her unpopularity but she's been very incompetent so far.

She strikes me as an underperfomer. Just look at her election result.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 01:54:42 PM »

So could Sheheen be competitive in 2014?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »

So could Sheheen be competitive in 2014?

If he gets to face Haley.  At this point Haley's unpopularity (which is mostly personal, not because of any Tea Partyish issues she's backed) is such that if it continues I expect she will face credible challengers in the GOP primary and could lose the primary.  Of course a lot could change by then, so it's way too early to be counting gubernatorial chickens.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 05:14:05 PM »

There have been several polls lately showing an Obama surge, not in approval but in trials against the GOP candidates. The GOP primary has become a circus. Doesn't mean this surge will last into the general but I think it will be enlarged further once the Happy New Year, War is Over media cycle begins. Plus, you'll have the pissy GOPers who say they won't vote for the other GOP candidate even though at the end of the day, they will. I wouldn't be surprised to see Obama up 52-42 against all challengers next month.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »

Gosh, is there no state that Obama can't win.  I mean, he must have this thing wrapped up already.  Look we've got an economy with upwards of 9% unemployment and voters even hold him somewhat responsible and hes winning solid republican states.

Right...all of these polls just confirm exactly what I have thought for a long time.  They oversample dems in both swing states and red states as to give the democrat a lead until it gets closer to the election.  You'll see, watch for when PPP's polling to magically "shift" too once it gets to the time period where their reputation as an accurate polling company is at stake.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 01:11:12 AM »

Nah... Obama couldn't even muster 45% in SC in 2008.  Newt might not be a good choice if the GOP would like to win in 2012 but there's no way barring a landslide that Obama carries SC. 

I will not claim to know very much about SC politics but it seems to be Georgia without Atlanta. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 09:41:58 AM »

Nah... Obama couldn't even muster 45% in SC in 2008.  Newt might not be a good choice if the GOP would like to win in 2012 but there's no way barring a landslide that Obama carries SC. 

I will not claim to know very much about SC politics but it seems to be Georgia without Atlanta. 

...and with Strom Thurmond instead of Jimmy Carter as its best-known political figure in recent decades, if that means something.

South Carolina has its urban population more scattered along I-26 and I-85 in several cities far smaller than Atlanta.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 01:24:47 PM »

South Carolina also had the same Obama approval rating like the US did in the 2010 Exit Poll:

44-55

Considering that it became a fast growing state recently, it might become a pickup opportunity for Obama if he invests some time and money there.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies