The Liberal Party.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:21:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Liberal Party.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Author Topic: The Liberal Party.  (Read 17567 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »

Go for it.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2012, 12:41:46 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2012, 12:45:17 AM by Santorum's South American Jihadist »

And I would be grateful if Oakvale appears and tell me what he likes and what he doesn't. The same with Teddy, Dallas, Napo and Scotty.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2012, 12:46:46 AM »

I'll try to catch the essential points of the previous platforms. Obviously, I would need a language corrector.
If you complete any provisions tomorrow, feel free to send them to me. Although if you want someone to correct them tonight, you might want someone else, since I'll be going to bed soon.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2012, 01:30:25 AM »

I'll try to catch the essential points of the previous platforms. Obviously, I would need a language corrector.
If you complete any provisions tomorrow, feel free to send them to me. Although if you want someone to correct them tonight, you might want someone else, since I'll be going to bed soon.

Nope. Tonight is Scotch night.

Anyway, you can join me in mibbit.con #atlasforum.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2012, 01:48:26 AM »

Oh, well, In 24 hours it will be ready.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2012, 02:31:22 AM »

I dont like the idea of writing controversial policy planks in the platform, unless we also specify that we support the ability of our members to vote their conscience (which would be one of our planks)

As an example using things we'd never agree with
The party supports eating eggs raw
The party supports cooking steak until it's black
The party supports drinking window washer
The party supports allowing it's individual members moral freedom on dietary issues.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2012, 06:13:58 AM »

I dont like the idea of writing controversial policy planks in the platform, unless we also specify that we support the ability of our members to vote their conscience (which would be one of our planks)

As an example using things we'd never agree with
The party supports eating eggs raw
The party supports cooking steak until it's black
The party supports drinking window washer
The party supports allowing it's individual members moral freedom on dietary issues.

Propose your ideas, Teddy.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2012, 10:49:48 AM »

I think Napoleon and Scott's proposed platforms are actually fine for a left-liberal party, FWIW.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2012, 01:16:11 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2012, 01:17:51 PM by Santorum's South American Jihadist »

I was trying but my lack of English skills just let me repeat what the others had writen. Seems like in an English board I'm kind of useless.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »

And YES, you can insult me for whatever reasons you want.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2012, 05:27:23 PM »

And YES, you can insult me for whatever reasons you want.
YOU SMELL
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2012, 06:04:32 PM »

Platform idea:

The Liberal Party of Atlasia stands for Liberalism in all it's forms. We support the intrinsic value of the individual, and that the governments main duty is to protect and allow it's citizens to pursue a life of joy, happiness, and comfort, without undue stress, and that the government's duty is to both remain minimal and supportive of public welfare.

The Liberal Party supports the rights of women, the LGBT community, and human rights. We oppose the death penalty, support abortion, and back same sex marriage and adoption. We support the right of the individual to live their lives as they see fit.

The Liberal Party wants to build an Atlasia where the people live without the constant fear and worry of destitution. We accept that public welfare and support for the needy is not only required, but desired. We desire a society where welfare is a back-up option available to those who falter, and not a way of life. We support a society that incentivises success, a society that allows a person to be all that they can be, and a society that welcomes all.

The Liberal Party opposes the idea of a 'litmus test' of support. We are an open big-tent party that will not exclude any members based on a small number of ideas on which they may disagree with the party as a whole. We believe that this is necessary for community building not only on the party, but that this attitude of inclusion is a requirement to build an at-large community across all political lines in Atlasia as a a whole.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »

We are the only national* party that's not committed to dissolution.

* = Having at least 1 member in each region!

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=143164.msg3173646#msg3173646
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2012, 11:32:01 PM »

February elections are coming up soon, btw.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »

Have we decided on our economic platform yet? We should most certainly be centrist on economic issues. Also we should be in favor of abortion for the first two trimesters and be anti-death penalty.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »

Have we decided on our economic platform yet? We should most certainly be centrist on economic issues. Also we should be in favor of abortion for the first two trimesters and be anti-death penalty.

I agree with these, are there any specific economic issues you think should be in the platform? I suspect that support for free trade will be in the final platform, as well as avoiding overregulation. We should probably support progressive taxation and diversity of taxation, and removing loopholes. I think we should be supportive of effective healthcare and education programs too.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2012, 10:10:04 PM »

I agree with these, are there any specific economic issues you think should be in the platform? I suspect that support for free trade will be in the final platform, as well as avoiding overregulation. We should probably support progressive taxation and diversity of taxation, and removing loopholes. I think we should be supportive of effective healthcare and education programs too.

I think the economics portions should be focused on promoting individual achievement, maintaining an effective progressive tax system, a strong social safety net and protections for worker's rights and consumers.

On regulations, I think we should argue that regulations have a role in protecting both employers and employees, however, over-regulation stymies economic vitality and it both cumbersome and an expense to both employers and the bureaucracy.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »

Will the Liberal Party have regional parties/chairs?  I think the JCP and RPP did something similar.  Not sure how that went, though.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #168 on: January 29, 2012, 10:32:49 PM »

Once we have a few concrete platform ideas to choose between I'll open a new thread (the very first Liberal convention!) to vote on platforms, logos, leadership, and possible endorsements for Senate races and the Presidential election without the chaos inherent in a foundation thread. Tongue

I think the convention city should be in the Northeast to reflect the bulk of our membership, but. I'm open to suggestion. Wink
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2012, 10:34:59 PM »

Yes, I agree with that. For healthcare I think we should pursue a model where the government provides subsidies to those below a certain income level. I don't have a problem with a public option as long as they assume all the risk and it's not subsidized by the government. I don't agree with the government actually employing the providers of healthcare. I am not completely sure how our system is currently so that may be someplace we can try and separate ourselves from the status quo. Also maybe put in something about spending only when necessary and cutting back on wasteful spending but that might be too vague.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2012, 10:35:12 PM »

I think the convention city should be in the Northeast to reflect the bulk of our membership, but. I'm open to suggestion. Wink

No objections here!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »

Yes, I agree with that. For healthcare I think we should pursue a model where the government provides subsidies to those below a certain income level. I don't have a problem with a public option as long as they assume all the risk and it's not subsidized by the government. I don't agree with the government actually employing the providers of healthcare. I am not completely sure how our system is currently so that may be someplace we can try and separate ourselves from the status quo. Also maybe put in something about spending only when necessary and cutting back on wasteful spending but that might be too vague.

Atlasia currently has a universal health care system.  I would not be in favor of opposing it.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: January 29, 2012, 10:37:28 PM »

In my opinion, having regional chairmen is only necessary if reminding every member to vote becomes too cumbersome a job for one person. I don't think that we're at that point yet, and frankly, I don't see us (or anyone else for that matter) getting to that point anytime soon.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #173 on: January 29, 2012, 10:44:17 PM »

Will the Liberal Party have regional parties/chairs?  I think the JCP and RPP did something similar.  Not sure how that went, though.

I don't think we have the numbers, even though we are a 13 member big tent behemoth.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #174 on: January 29, 2012, 10:46:02 PM »

Atlasia currently has a universal health care system.  I would not be in favor of opposing it.

Yes, we must make sure everyone has health care so I don't oppose it either. I am just not sure if we have a system similar to the NHS, which I would oppose. I would lean closer to the Bismarck model or the Canadian model which might have one government run insurance company, but private providers.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies