US annexing Canada, only a matter of time?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:00:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US annexing Canada, only a matter of time?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: US annexing Canada, only a matter of time?  (Read 7396 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2004, 02:03:57 PM »

I think it's only a matter of time until the US annexes most if all of Canada!

The US economy would expand almost unimaginably and we would get more jobs and natural resources.

Just don't have Quebec in the mix or everything would go down the pooper.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 02:05:18 PM »

That's imperialist BS, I am all for letting people have their own independent nations if they want to. And Canda is doing fine on it's own.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 02:06:09 PM »

I must admit, I don't know much about Canadian geography myself but I think it is ok as an independent country, I like the arrangement the way it is.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 04:25:23 PM »

Whilst I would love to have them, I really only think that the Prarie provinces have any chance whatsoever of joining the US, only because they hate the federal govt so much. but even that is a loooong stretch. Why would you want to leave a country with free healthcare, great education, and liberal ideals, especially if it was your homeland?

I would live in Canada if I didn't love America-it is my homeland. My heart resides here, not in Sakatchewan. So if I dont want to step up, why would they want to step down?
MarkDel

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 04:39:55 PM »

Whilst I would love to have them, I really only think that the Prarie provinces have any chance whatsoever of joining the US, only because they hate the federal govt so much. but even that is a loooong stretch. Why would you want to leave a country with free healthcare, great education, and liberal ideals, especially if it was your homeland?

I would live in Canada if I didn't love America-it is my homeland. My heart resides here, not in Sakatchewan. So if I dont want to step up, why would they want to step down?

Hughento,

So would it be fair to say that you prefer the Canadian system of government, and Canadian "philosophy" of government, over the US?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 04:55:03 PM »

whlst I don't like the fact that they have a monarch as HoS, and that one party is a bit too powerful 9although if you look at opinion polls...), overall I think it is a very good system, on par with the US.

In terms of their social programs, yes they are better.
MarkDel

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 04:58:22 PM »

whlst I don't like the fact that they have a monarch as HoS, and that one party is a bit too powerful 9although if you look at opinion polls...), overall I think it is a very good system, on par with the US.

In terms of their social programs, yes they are better.

Hughento,

So then it's fair to say that you believe in a "paternalistic" society with a significant increase in the welfare state and a significant increase in personal taxation?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 05:02:37 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2004, 05:03:54 PM by hughento »

I believe that if you can offer a good social security system, and still have extremely high levels of freedom of speech, it doesnt matter how much you tax. Well, within reason anyway.

That's why the world's top three countries, according to the UN, are scandinavian-Norway, Sweden, Iceland-they have high taxes, and great social security.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 05:05:41 PM »

Belgium, America and Canada are all equal 6th, my mistake.

http://hdr.undp.org/reports/global/2003/indicator/indic_8_1_1.html

I'm a little surprised Australia is so high up, whats their system?

Also a bit surprised by the poor showing of France.
MarkDel

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 05:10:21 PM »

I believe that if you can offer a good social security system, and still have extremely high levels of freedom of speech, it doesnt matter how much you tax. Well, within reason anyway.

That's why the world's top three countries, according to the UN, are scandinavian-Norway, Sweden, Iceland-they have high taxes, and great social security.

Hughento,

So I guess the answer to my question would be "yes" then? As for the UN report you cite...I guess all studies have their place, but please consider that the people who issue this report have a fairly substantial agenda.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 05:12:36 PM »

UK is pretty low on that list, I would have thought we would be in the top 10, I would love to go to Iceland, my school runs a geography trip there but I am not going to do geography A-level, plus it clashes with a politics trip to DC and New York Wink.
MarkDel

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 05:15:41 PM »

UK is pretty low on that list, I would have thought we would be in the top 10, I would love to go to Iceland, my school runs a geography trip there but I am not going to do geography A-level, plus it clashes with a politics trip to DC and New York Wink.

JFK,

That's what I'm talking about...any survey that doesn't have the UK as one of the top ten places to live is way off...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2004, 05:17:36 PM »

JFK,

That's what I'm talking about...any survey that doesn't have the UK as one of the top ten places to live is way off...

Any study that has Sweden that high GOT to be correct. Smiley

I think all studies do show that Scandinavia and the smaller international Anglo-Saxon countries are the best places to live...that includes actually asking people what they think.
MarkDel

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2004, 05:21:30 PM »

JFK,

I think all studies do show that Scandinavia and the smaller international Anglo-Saxon countries are the best places to live...that includes actually asking people what they think.

Gustaf,

I guess I have to go check out Sweden at some point. Of course, I promised myself I would never return to mainland Europe after my last visit where I encountered more hostility than a naked leper. After my last trip to Europe, I jokingly told people that the only way I would come back is if I came in by parachute as part of an invasion...LOL
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 05:21:41 PM »

JFK,

lol, I used to be obsessed with Iceland when I was little, always wanted to live there, beautiful country (from what I have seen in pictures)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2004, 05:26:28 PM »

Hughento,

So I guess the answer to my question would be "yes" then? As for the UN report you cite...I guess all studies have their place, but please consider that the people who issue this report have a fairly substantial agenda.

It's the UNHDR-completely neutral, and I actually think it is run by an american...

anyway, it is still one of the most authoritative and recognised sources.

Personally, I doubt I could live in Norway, I can't ski Cheesy
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2004, 05:34:16 PM »

JFK,

Gustaf,

I guess I have to go check out Sweden at some point. Of course, I promised myself I would never return to mainland Europe after my last visit where I encountered more hostility than a naked leper. After my last trip to Europe, I jokingly told people that the only way I would come back is if I came in by parachute as part of an invasion...LOL

You would certainly not be treated like that in Sweden...I think...most people here aren't aginst Americans, just Republicans..oh, well... Wink

You could hang out with pro-Americans, like me. Smiley

And, above all, we are NOT, repeat NOT, part of mainland Europe... Wink
MarkDel

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2004, 05:38:30 PM »

JFK,

Gustaf,

You would certainly not be treated like that in Sweden...I think...most people here aren't aginst Americans, just Republicans..oh, well... Wink

Gustaf,

I think I'm about to make a fool of myself...but I always thought of Sweden as part of mainland Europe...why am I wrong?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2004, 05:41:29 PM »

it isn't directly connected to mainland, but Finland connects with Russia.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2004, 05:41:51 PM »

JFK,

Gustaf,

Gustaf,

I think I'm about to make a fool of myself...but I always thought of Sweden as part of mainland Europe...why am I wrong?

It depends on how you look at it...if you wanna travel from Germany to Sweden without crossing water you have to go through Poland, Russia and Finland...and culturally Scandinavia is pretty different from continental Europe. But most importantly, I like to set ourselves apart from those people... Wink
MarkDel

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2004, 05:48:15 PM »

Gustaf,

How much water must one cross to get from Denmark to Sweden at its narrowest crossing? It's only a few miles, right?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2004, 05:58:10 PM »

It is around 32 kilometres I think, (rough estimate from my Atlas). Not sure in miles, scale was in km.
MarkDel

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2004, 06:00:28 PM »

JFK,

1 mile=1.6 kilometers

So the distance was slightly more than I realized. I always thought of this "gap" as no more than a few miles wide.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2004, 06:00:30 PM »

Gustaf,

How much water must one cross to get from Denmark to Sweden at its narrowest crossing? It's only a few miles, right?

Yes, lol, there's a bridge and everything. Smiley  A bridge too far, I'd say...I was just trying to rationalize my emotions... Wink
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2004, 06:01:16 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2004, 06:02:38 PM by JohnFKennedy »

JFK,

1 mile=1.6 kilometers

So the distance was slightly more than I realized. I always thought of this "gap" as no more than a few miles wide.

that was just an estimate, could be quite a bit smaller, I only scanned it quickly, I may not have had the closest point.

It is either 16 or 32 I think, there is an island there and I am not sure whether it is part of Sweden or Norway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies