D2R Bad for Larsen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:12:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  D2R Bad for Larsen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: D2R Bad for Larsen?  (Read 3572 times)
BigSkyBob

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2011, 02:10:28 PM »

http://www.rollcall.com/news/hohs_one_minute_recess_larsen_sacks_slacker_tweeters-210912-1.html?pos=hln

Well, the staffers were out to achieve a December to Remember, and I'm sure they will remember being fired vividly for the rest of their lives.

How much electoral consequences will Larsen have to face for hiring them, and, seemingly not noticing their behavior?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 06:02:16 PM »

Are they involved in the War on Christmas?
Jackson
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »

It's amazing how no swing voters in this district care about such issues. The only people who might be upset are already staunch Republicans, so the issue is quite immaterial.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »

Why would you blame Larsen for this? It's not his fault when his 20-year old staffers turn into massive douches overnight.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 09:28:34 PM »

Larsen will be getting a safer district next year. Not that this would have mattered much anyway.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 09:31:10 PM »

If Republicans would like to spend time and money attacking Larsen over this incident then by all means go ahead.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »

Why would you blame Larsen for this? It's not his fault when his 20-year old staffers turn into massive douches overnight.

The office allowance Larsen has is not his money. It is the people's money. He has some fiduciary responsibility to the American people that it is not wasted.

That I wouild have to explain this simple fact to you just goes to show out of touch the political class is.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 02:44:40 PM »

If Republicans would like to spend time and money attacking Larsen over this incident then by all means go ahead.

First, the matter should be submitted to the Ethics Committee.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »

LOL good one
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 05:11:53 PM »

He should be charged with not having the foresight that they would be lazy staffers upon hiring.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 10:31:24 PM »

Are you people still trying to have a serious conversation with Boob?
Haven't you anything more productive to do with your time, like mowing your lawn, smoking pot or trying to lick your elbow?
Jackson
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 01:10:26 AM »

Haven't you anything more productive to do with your time, like mowing your lawn, smoking pot or trying to lick your elbow?
Quoted for truth.                                                   
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 01:29:06 AM »

Quoted for truth.                                                   
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 09:27:41 AM »

Quoted for truth.                                                   
BigSkyBob

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 01:49:05 PM »

LOL good one

Just goes to show how out of touch the political class is. Taxpayer's money, seemingly, was grossly wasted. There has to be accountability.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 02:53:50 PM »

LOL good one

Just goes to show how out of touch the political class is. Taxpayer's money, seemingly, was grossly wasted. There has to be accountability.

Yeah, there was accountability - all the staffers got fired.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 04:42:44 PM »

LOL good one

Larsen's own account for their firing is that they were terminated for politically embarassing him. That isn't firing them for destroying taxpayer property, or wasting taxpayer funds. Larsen stated those questions were secondary.

The point is that Larsen ought to be accountable for using his office allotment in a proper fashion. He didn't. He should be subject for an ethics investigation. After all, one of staffers tweeted about purposely destroying government property for kicks.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »

LOL good one

Larsen's own account for their firing is that they were terminated for politically embarrassing him. That isn't firing them for destroying taxpayer property, or wasting taxpayer funds. Larsen stated those questions were secondary.

You wouldn't happen to have a cite for your claim that Larsen indicated he considered those questions secondary, would you?  Unless you do, please STFU about this. Your hyper-partisan unsubstantiated spin is making Politco's unceasing posts about how Gingrich will be a disaster and Romney is the Republican's only hope to defeat the Obama Empire look like an example of erudition and scholarship in comparison.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And we all know that no one ever lies or exaggerates on the Internet.  Bad office management does not equal an ethical lapse tho it may be something the voters choose to consider at the next election.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 03:32:33 PM »

LOL good one

Larsen's own account for their firing is that they were terminated for politically embarrassing him. That isn't firing them for destroying taxpayer property, or wasting taxpayer funds. Larsen stated those questions were secondary.

You wouldn't happen to have a cite for your claim that Larsen indicated he considered those questions secondary, would you?  Unless you do, please STFU about this. Your hyper-partisan unsubstantiated spin is making Politco's unceasing posts about how Gingrich will be a disaster and Romney is the Republican's only hope to defeat the Obama Empire look like an example of erudition and scholarship in comparison.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And we all know that no one ever lies or exaggerates on the Internet.  Bad office management does not equal an ethical lapse tho it may be something the voters choose to consider at the next election.

Here is the article I read:

Drunken Idiot Congressman Fires Disloyal Staffers

Representative Rick Larsen (D-Wash) dismissed three legislative aides after learning that they had “tweeted” tales of his on-the-job drunkenness, goofing off, and idiocy.

“It’s a simple question of loyalty,” Larsen explained. “Anybody on my payroll is paid to make me look good, to help me be reelected, to serve my needs. If they can’t do that I don’t want them.”

Larsen declined to address whether there was any truth to the tweets. “As Pontius Pilate once asked, ‘what is truth?’” Larsen recalled. “The perspectives of these ‘wet-behind-the-ears’ novices cannot be taken seriously. I’ve been in Congress for over a decade. My constituents obviously have confidence that I’m not a drunk, a goof-off, or an idiot. Until they say otherwise, let’s assume that I’m not.”

As you can see, he was lampooned rather mercilessly.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 01:59:36 AM »

Why was this bumped?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 02:07:25 PM »

The thread was not "bumped" in any way. 

I was asked a question, and, I provided the answer, if somewhat belatedly.

Questions have yet to be answered.

One of the tweets claimed that one of the staffers boasted about deliberately destroyed the Blackberry assigned to him. Did Larsen demand each staffer produce his Blackberry to ascertain whether, or not, public property had been willfully destroyed? I know that if I purposely smashed a government Blackberry I'd be charged with crime. If a staffer did commit that crime, and, Larsen chose to cover up that crime, then Larsen should be investigated.

There has been an underlying assumption by people here that Larsen's staffers were just acting like fraternity members, and, their actions ought to be judged by fraternity standards. They were public servants, using public property, and drawing a public salary.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 05:57:43 AM »

You mean Boob's head?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »

FWIW, Larsen is in a safe Dem-pack district now, so no, this definitely won't hurt him.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 11:08:13 AM »

FWIW, Larsen is in a safe Dem-pack district now, so no, this definitely won't hurt him.

^^^ This. 

I motion to lock the thread. 
BigSkyBob

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 11:40:02 AM »

Unless, D2R harms him in the Democratic primary.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies