Israeli Ministry of Immigrant Absorption pulls "offensive" ads
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:12:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Israeli Ministry of Immigrant Absorption pulls "offensive" ads
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Israeli Ministry of Immigrant Absorption pulls "offensive" ads  (Read 8217 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2011, 02:16:14 AM »

le sigh
BigSkyBob

« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2011, 02:17:18 AM »

That's what I don't get...why the hell does he care how other people celebrate (or not) a holiday?

Jews are perfectly entitled to believe whatever they want about Christmas, and observe whatever holidays they wish. What they are not entitled to is a blanket absolution for using "Christmas" in an offensive manner in government ads.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2011, 02:24:55 AM »

The people at fault have had their peepee spanked, they took the add down.  Do you need a personal appology or something?

I'm not getting your outrage is what I'm saying I guess.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2011, 02:30:23 AM »

The people at fault have had their peepee spanked, they took the add down.  Do you need a personal appology or something?

I want it acknowledged that I was correct in noting that the ad really was offensive.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2011, 02:33:04 AM »

Jewish attitudes towards Christmas are offensive because, apparently, Christmas has feelings.  Christmas is a highly sensitive individual.

What happened to stamping out political correctness?  Or is freedom of religion only applicable when it serves to justify homophobia?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2011, 02:37:59 AM »

I want it acknowledged that I was correct in noting that the ad really was offensive.
I have no idea if it's offensive or not, haven't seen it, so I really can't do that for ya.  I'm not keen on looking all that hard into it either, could you briefly spell it out, or maybe a little youtube link?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2011, 02:51:09 AM »

One of the ads shows a grandchild being asked what holiday they were celebrating? The child answers  "Christmas."

What's wrong with celebrating Christmas?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2011, 02:57:30 AM »

Not seeing the offensiveness there.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2011, 03:09:52 AM »

One of the ads shows a grandchild being asked what holiday they were celebrating? The child answers  "Christmas."

How outrageous.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2011, 03:17:38 AM »

Maybe that it's another religion's holiday? This really isn't that hard.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2011, 08:24:09 AM »

He is ok w/ every religion, as long as they acknowledge Jesus as the Savior. Make sure, you put that statue in your Hindu temple.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2011, 10:36:30 AM »

He is ok w/ every religion, as long as they acknowledge Jesus as the Savior.

This seems reasonable enough to me. What could any reasonable person have against such a reasonable proposition? Particularly given the ongoing War against Christmas, which, after all, is Christianity's most important religious festival.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2011, 10:49:28 AM »

Just to make this interesting and to pull back from some of the nastier assertions, here's an economist pointing out how bad Christmas is for the economy. No word on whether he's a Joo or not.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/12/is-christmas-bad-for-the-economy/249618/

I've heard this in Economics classes in the past.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2011, 11:43:33 AM »

Just to make this interesting and to pull back from some of the nastier assertions, here's an economist pointing out how bad Christmas is for the economy. No word on whether he's a Joo or not.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/12/is-christmas-bad-for-the-economy/249618/

I've heard this in Economics classes in the past.

Ah, the economic "waste" attending gift giving. Birthday presents should go too. Efficiency is our Lord and Savior.  The moral of the story?  Give cash of course!  I however will accept booze and/or pot as gifts in lieu thereof, if giving cash is just too infra dig.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2011, 12:46:56 PM »

He is ok w/ every religion, as long as they acknowledge Jesus as the Savior. Make sure, you put that statue in your Hindu temple.

AFAIK, worship of Jesus isn't uncommon among Hindus. It's a very adaptable religion.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2011, 03:30:50 PM »

AFAIK, worship of Jesus isn't uncommon among Hindus. It's a very adaptable religion.

That's the difference between monotheism and politheism for you Smiley)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2011, 08:13:32 PM »

Oddly enough, today I came across a Christmas tree sugar cookie that had been baked in a bakery that was kosher-certified.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2011, 10:48:59 PM »

They'll usually add in the "Jesus went to India to study" bull, too.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2011, 12:03:03 AM »

Oddly enough, today I came across a Christmas tree sugar cookie that had been baked in a bakery that was kosher-certified.

Well, this, pretty much ensures it wasn't run by atheist Jews Smiley))

Apparently, pretty much all businessmen would happily let a rabbi certify them, at least, if it would cost them nothing (if the services of the rabbi are paid for by some Jewish group, whose members would like to be able to enjoy the services of a certain establishment). Indeed, it seems like there is no reason not to: you become acceptable to a new set of customers. However, many of my fellow atheist Jews would rather loose money than let the bearded guys inspect them Smiley))
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2011, 12:24:20 AM »

3. It is undoubtedly true that from a Jewish standpoint there is a gross difference between not following Jewish traditions and accepting gentile traditions. It is one thing to eat pork (in fact, to make a point of including pork in every meal) and quite another thing to get some of that red wine that symbolizes some shlimazl's blood in Christian services.

That is a rather ham handed statement....

Btw, What does )) mean? I see you and I think other Russians use it and have no clue as to its purpose.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2011, 12:55:33 AM »

Btw, What does )) mean? I see you and I think other Russians use it and have no clue as to its purpose.

Nothing. It's just a reiterated smiley. I always forget that this forum makes :  )  into a yellow face.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2011, 12:56:24 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2011, 12:59:57 AM by ag »

3. It is undoubtedly true that from a Jewish standpoint there is a gross difference between not following Jewish traditions and accepting gentile traditions. It is one thing to eat pork (in fact, to make a point of including pork in every meal) and quite another thing to get some of that red wine that symbolizes some shlimazl's blood in Christian services.

Are you going to claim that that guy didn't have some major bad (shlim) luck (mazl)? Or is your objection to use of the world "to symbolize" rather than the verb "to be"?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2011, 01:46:35 AM »

Are you going to claim that that guy didn't have some major bad (shlim) luck (mazl)? Or is your objection to use of the world "to symbolize" rather than the verb "to be"?

Well, I really wanted to use ham handed with all the talk about pork.  However, were you the sensitive type you could get angry at the connotation that God is some sort of inept and unlucky person. Christ's death was not bad luck, but rather a fulfillment of prophesy and redeems our sins.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2011, 10:45:55 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2011, 11:11:48 AM by ag »

Christ's death was not bad luck, but rather a fulfillment of prophesy and redeems our sins.

Well, I hope you won't insist that this also becomes the Jewish interpretation of this story?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »

Christ's death was not bad luck, but rather a fulfillment of prophesy and redeems our sins.

Well, I hope you won't insist that this also becomes the Jewish interpretation of this story?

The theological intrepreations are a matter of religious preference.

The idea that Jesus Christ was a good and decent man whom walked the earth is not. Some of his opinions have survived, and, they show him to be a good man and decent human being.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies