Toomey enters the "Veepstakes."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:02:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Toomey enters the "Veepstakes."
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Toomey enters the "Veepstakes."  (Read 4930 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2011, 01:32:01 PM »

Cheesy

http://www.politicspa.com/nro-toomey-enters-veep-stakes/29733/

Young-ish, very smart, from a swing state and already a leader in DC as a freshman Senator. And before anyone goes off about him being "too right wing," his conservative credentials would be a bonus if someone like Romney became the nominee and, as some of us noted a long time ago, he isn't some fire-breathing extremist flame thrower.

Unfortunately, I agree with Toomey when he says that he doesn't see it happening but he's someone to keep an eye on as a dark horse pick.

On a related note, if I had to pick someone that would be best suited to be President right now, I'd say it's Toomey so he'd definitely be able to step up if need be.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 01:36:10 PM »

WOW... how did we not think of him before. He is Jim DeMint from a swing state
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 01:39:30 PM »

Well maybe if Toomey joins one of the sinking ships then his faults/extremism will get highlighted on the national stage and Pennsylvania will elect to toss him out like they did with Santorum.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 01:42:01 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQmCZ8SfPS0
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx6QWBvp_uI
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 01:44:44 PM »

I know he won.

But is a 51-49 victory over a staunch liberal in a swing state in a GOP wave year really that impressive?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »

I know he won.

But is a 51-49 victory over a staunch liberal in a swing state in a GOP wave year really that impressive?

Yeah but I thought Toomey was an evil, Wall Street big wig, fire breathing, George W. Bush arch conservative so it evens out, right?

Sestak ran a phenomenal campaign and was able to capitalize on his military image. For all of the benefits that we had in 2010, there are plenty of hurdles for conservative Republicans to clear in order to win especially when you consider the ticket splitting. Corbett won comfortably and, as strange as this may sound, something like that helps Sestak.

Whatever the case, the "Wall Street Toomey" nonsense didn't work in Pennsylvania. If it isn't working here, it probably isn't going to resonate in many other swing areas.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 01:52:42 PM »

It worked, but clearly not enough.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 01:58:07 PM »

What? "Working" would have meant a victory for Sestak. He hit Toomey on this the entire campaign. It didn't work.

If by "worked" you mean it lowered Toomey's margin of victory, that really doesn't count. He was never going to win the race by a double digit margin against Sestak.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 02:00:17 PM »

I meant the latter. Eh, maybe I value close losses a bit more than most.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »

And a Hispanic VP would definitely help in certain swing states!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 03:08:10 PM »

Veepstakes aren't all that important to me. I suppose sometimes it's a step toward the Presidency. Bush Sr. Ford. Nixon in a roundabout kind of way, LBJ, Truman. But not so much lately. As old as he is, maybe McCain could have croaked and left us with President Palin. Jesus, maybe I should rethink how important this Veep thing after all. I don't know much about him (seriously) Let's see what wikipedia has to say about Toomey:
1. Supports jail time for abortion providers. Small gov't GOP style.
2. Was for earmarks before he was against them. Non-issue to me. Don't care.
3. Opposes raising fuel efficiency standards. Guess he enjoys his fossil fuel money.
4. A strong advocate for deregulating financial services. I'm sure they can regulate themselves.
5. Supported a bill dropping the waiting period to buy a guy from three days to one. Cause somebody might get over being mad during those two days.
6. Has called for halving Medicaid funds. A Modest Proposal anyone?
7. Most important saved for last, he voted repeatedly for the GOP scheme to slash capital gains taxes and eliminate inheritance taxes. Cause America would prosper if the rich were just that much richer.
As I said in another thread, the GOP is crucifying America on a cross of Lower Taxes! Toomey, at least, has been well behaved about it. You won't see him playing the fool on late night cable news like Bachmann or Palin. Smart man. Probably won't get him the Veep nod because you need a screamer in that role. Because the Prez has to  look "presidential." But there's nothing wrong with the Senate seat of a populous state making showering love on the rich and reigning (death point word deleted) on the poor. I'm sure Toomey is laughing all the way to the bank along with all the other "job creators."
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 03:29:27 PM »

After Palin, I'm a bit hesitant choosing those who were just elected last cycle. 2016 or 2020, Toomey would be good. 2012, methinks, is a bit too early.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »

1. Supports jail time for abortion providers. Small gov't GOP style.

One of my favorite disingenuous jabs from the idiots. It isn't "anti small government" to be in favor of government action when the taking of an innocent life is in question.

Of course, your argument makes as much sense as saying Toomey isn't truly a small government conservative because he favors taxpayer funded roads or a government funded military, for example.

After Palin, I'm a bit hesitant choosing those who were just elected last cycle. 2016 or 2020, Toomey would be good. 2012, methinks, is a bit too early.

Don't forget his three terms in the House though.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 03:38:22 PM »

Don't forget his three terms in the House though.

Well, he was out of office for six years before that, and you receive little national attention in the House, as opposed to more spotlight as a Senator or Governor. If I remember correctly (don't quote me on this) he was elected to three terms in a swing district, certainly a plus. Look, from what I know about him, he would make an excellent Vice President someday, probably even today, but I just don't think he's been in statewide office long enough to qualify.

That said, the Republican Senate leadership clearly thinks very highly of him - he was on the Supercommittee, recall. So a definite maybe.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »

Thune, I tell you. It's gonna be Thune. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 05:15:51 PM »

Well, he was out of office for six years before that, and you receive little national attention in the House, as opposed to more spotlight as a Senator or Governor.

It doesn't matter if he received a lot of attention or a little. I mean, it certainly is a plus if you're recognized but just because he wasn't a household name from 1999-2005 doesn't mean he wasn't accomplished. Plus, he had to be noticed enough to be as successful as he was within political circles after his time in the House.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Correct
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 06:55:33 PM »

Toomey could certainly help with Hispanics with his Portuguese background, but I still think it's going to be Christie, McDonnell, Thune, or Martinez.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 07:30:32 PM »

5. Supported a bill dropping the waiting period to buy a guy from three days to one.

...Wait, there's a movement afoot to reinstate slavery?
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 07:35:57 PM »

I supported Toomey in '10 (hesitantly) but I don't regret it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »

5. Supported a bill dropping the waiting period to buy a guy from three days to one.

I assume he meant gun. As someone wary of gun control, I actually agree with him on that.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 09:45:48 PM »

I assume he meant gun. As someone wary of gun control, I actually agree with him on that.

I was joking. Of course it meant gun.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 09:54:04 PM »

Toomey has been off most people's radars, but I would not discount him. In fact, it makes more sense than the other "front-runners" by virtue of his home state. The more resources Obama has to use in Pennsylvania, the less resources he will have available for Ohio and Florida (and Michigan if the GOP gains a lot of steam).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 10:03:48 PM »

Toomey's fantastic, but still a 20-monther, and I doubt any 20-monther is getting picked.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 10:06:51 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2011, 10:11:37 PM by Politico »

Toomey's fantastic, but still a 20-monther, and I doubt any 20-monther is getting picked.

True, but he has equivalent experience to Nixon in '52. Just like Eisenhower needed to burnish his ideological credentials with a red-meat Republican, so may Romney...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies