If you had to live in one of these cities which one would it be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:31:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If you had to live in one of these cities which one would it be?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you had to live in one of these cities which one would it be?
Detroit

Newark

Camden

East St. Louis

Compton

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: If you had to live in one of these cities which one would it be?  (Read 1497 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »

?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:48:01 PM »

Newark...close enough to NYC
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 12:51:02 PM »

Compton. It ain't as ghetto as NWA would have you believe.

East St. Louis is like a post-apocalyptic nightmare.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 12:51:46 PM »

Coming soon to a street near you.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »

Coming soon to a street near you.

Cheesy

opebo you are a funny.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 12:53:50 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2011, 12:58:59 PM by Verily »

I would seriously consider living in one of the new highrises in downtown Newark, so it's the obvious choice. Would also consider living in the Broadway neighborhood of Newark (not the Ironbound, though, it's ugly as sin, and that matters to me).

Wouldn't live in Compton because it's in SoCal, don't care whether it's run down or dangerous or not. Would rather live in downtown Newark than Beverly Hills. Similar for Detroit and ESTL--would rather live in downtown Newark than Grosse Pointe Shores (or whatever the equivalent in the STL area would be).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 12:54:38 PM »

Ugh... a poll where the Jersey options are the most enticing.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »

Newark.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 02:07:27 PM »

Wouldn't live in Compton because it's in SoCal, don't care whether it's run down or dangerous or not. Would rather live in downtown Newark than Beverly Hills. Similar for Detroit and ESTL--would rather live in downtown Newark than Grosse Pointe Shores (or whatever the equivalent in the STL area would be).

The suburb 'Ladue' is generally considered the symbol of wealth in our metro.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »

Where did you vote for opebo? Did you ever try to pick up "ladies of the night" in ESTL?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 05:46:34 PM »

Compton or Newark. Though there are other ghetto neighborhoods in LA I would rather live in, closer to downtown or west LA. Compton is just too suburban for what you get. Newark is right across from NYC, so yeah. Too bad you didn't include Oakland (though it really doesn't belong in this list), but I would choose it in a heartbeat.

Really, Detroit and East St. Louis are just in a category of their own. I am not sure about Newark, but Compton doesn't really have entire streets and neighborhoods that have been abandoned.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 09:10:45 PM »

Newark, because of where it is, and because it has some tolerable pockets to live in.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »

Compton or Newark. Though there are other ghetto neighborhoods in LA I would rather live in, closer to downtown or west LA. Compton is just too suburban for what you get. Newark is right across from NYC, so yeah. Too bad you didn't include Oakland (though it really doesn't belong in this list), but I would choose it in a heartbeat.

Really, Detroit and East St. Louis are just in a category of their own. I am not sure about Newark, but Compton doesn't really have entire streets and neighborhoods that have been abandoned.

Compton would be near the bottom of the list of places to live in SoCal, if not at the bottom. It's still dangerous and dysfunctional.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 09:42:33 PM »

Newark, because of where it is, and because it has some tolerable pockets to live in.

Fully agreed. It also has some amenties of its own. Newark Museum is, actually, quite good for a town this size, for instance. Of course, Detroit has a lot more on that count - it used to be a major city. But, frankly, for most purposes Newark is just a nastyish part of New York.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 09:58:35 PM »

Where are Memphis, New Orleans, Cleveland, and Gary?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 10:11:20 PM »

Compton would be near the bottom of the list of places to live in SoCal, if not at the bottom. It's still dangerous and dysfunctional.

No disagreement there. Areas near downtown that may be just as dangerous (the areas around USC and to the west of it?) at least are close to the more happening areas. Compton is just a crap suburban town, surrounded by more suburbs.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 10:47:12 PM »

Newark, although this question would be a bit harder if I weren't able to choose which part of the city I'd end up in.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 10:53:55 PM »

No disagreement there. Areas near downtown that may be just as dangerous (the areas around USC and to the west of it?) at least are close to the more happening areas. Compton is just a crap suburban town, surrounded by more suburbs.

The USC hood has either gentrified or turned Hispanic. It is a fine place to live now, and reasonably safe. The goal of hooking USC to downtown has been to a substantial extent achieved, what with the Staples Center and a lot of new housing built at the southern edge of downtown around 9th to 12th street or so south, plus the revival of the Adams district (where the Bourgeoisie used to live until Hancock Park got going around 1915-1920 or so). Things fall apart rather abruptly about 15 blocks south of USC or so, around 50th street or so as I recall. I drove that area from a hole in the wall granite place north on Figueroa to downtown about a year ago, to observe all of this.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 11:44:26 PM »

Detroit (aka Grosse Pointe)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 12:28:42 AM »

I went there to get a girlfriend a tattoo. It wasn't that bad. Best haircut in my life.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 06:10:17 PM »

Detroit, it's closest to where I currently live. There are some decent areas. I would live downtown in a apartment. it's quite safe downtown. I think Detroit is underrated here due to it's awful reputation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies