Why are We so Drawn to Women's Breasts and Buttocks?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:31:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Why are We so Drawn to Women's Breasts and Buttocks?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why are We so Drawn to Women's Breasts and Buttocks?  (Read 3152 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:47:32 AM »

In case anyone asks, this is a thread strictly for heterosexuals -and maybe bisexuals too:

Going beyond the 'because they look so good' explanation, is there an evolutionary reason behind it?  Speaking for myself, I personally prefer full-figured women (it doesn't matter to me what race/ethnicity they belong to) with big voluptuous breasts -but why exactly?  Consciously it is for self-evident reasons, but on a subconscious level, is there a deeper reason?  I have always wondered this.  Is it because big breasts are a sign of higher fertility?
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »

Because your mama was a fat, Frodo.  I grew up with a slim, angular mother, and that's also my type.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 01:04:11 PM »

Because your mama was a fat, Frodo.  I grew up with a slim, angular mother, and that's also my type.

Actually, troll, she's petite, as is my sister. 
SufferedMore ThanJesus
sofaken30
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 01:36:16 PM »

Because we are men--and we are more angular, more aerodynamically-shaped, and have rougher edges.  Therefore, it is natural we are drawn sexually to that which is round and soft.  

And nothing is worse than boning a woman with no ass.   It's like shagging an 11-year old boy.  Not that I would know what making love to a preteen boy is like.  I'm a non-practicing Catholic. 
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 01:40:30 PM »

I think I heard somewhere that there's a theory that men are attracted to breasts because they remind them of their mother. I dunno.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »

Whether or not it'd be the case anyway, the fact we're encouraged to see them in an over-sexualised manner by contemporary culture must play a fair part.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 03:05:39 PM »

Evolutionary psychology bulls**t is bulls**t.

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 03:31:14 PM »

No one after Frodo's first post has mentioned anything that remotely resembles an argument from evolutionary psychology for why heterosexual men should like women with larger breasts and/or butts.  Most research on female attractiveness focuses on characteristics of faces and waist-to-hip ratios.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 04:55:17 PM »

Actually, troll, she's petite, as is my sister. 

Christ, man, whats with the troll comment?  I was just teasing you for being a chubby-chaser.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »

No one after Frodo's first post has mentioned anything that remotely resembles an argument from evolutionary psychology for why heterosexual men should like women with larger breasts and/or butts.  Most research on female attractiveness focuses on characteristics of faces and waist-to-hip ratios.

how do you know all of this sh**t?  it seems like you've a wealth of seemingly random information ranging across multiple disciplines.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 06:59:55 PM »

In case anyone asks, this is a thread strictly for heterosexuals -and maybe bisexuals too:

Going beyond the 'because they look so good' explanation, is there an evolutionary reason behind it?  Speaking for myself, I personally prefer full-figured women (it doesn't matter to me what race/ethnicity they belong to) with big voluptuous breasts -but why exactly?  Consciously it is for self-evident reasons, but on a subconscious level, is there a deeper reason?  I have always wondered this.  Is it because big breasts are a sign of higher fertility?

I think there is a lot to that.  They look fertile.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 08:01:13 PM »

how do you know all of this sh**t?  it seems like you've a wealth of seemingly random information ranging across multiple disciplines.

Nah, just one discipline Wink  The fact that cog sci is so interdisciplinary is what interested me about it in the first place.  Though I'm going to be specializing in language, it still helps for me to know a lot about how people work in general.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 08:58:36 PM »

Alright, here's my scientific go at it:

Attraction in general comes from what is biologically perceived as better to raise kids. Therefore, the general attraction to the mammary glands comes from the notion that larger breasts=better-fed children. A larger bottom implies larger & stronger hips, meaning that the baby and mother are more likely to survive birth.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 10:17:44 PM »

Attraction in general comes from what is biologically perceived as better to raise kids. Therefore, the general attraction to the mammary glands comes from the notion that larger breasts=better-fed children. A larger bottom implies larger & stronger hips, meaning that the baby and mother are more likely to survive birth.

That actually makes a lot of sense.  A cousin of mine (also petite, like my mother and sister) almost died from giving birth to her first child -ever since, she and her fiance have opted for adopting kids.  

In a way, the smaller a woman is, the less margin for error she has when she is giving birth.    
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 10:29:54 PM »

That actually makes a lot of sense.  A cousin of mine (also petite, like my mother and sister) almost died from giving birth to her first child -ever since, she and her fiance have opted for adopting kids. 

In a way, the smaller a woman is, the less margin for error she has when she is giving birth.   

Like I said, it's all about waist-to-hip ratio, not anything brute force about how big the individuals are themselves (Singh, 1993; Singh & Young, 1995; Henss, 2000).  In any case, like I apparently hallucinated saying earlier, despite my attempts to find any scholarly work about breast/butt size, I wasn't able to.  I suspect this might be because, unlike waist-to-hip ratio, it's hard to make boob/butt size something that people won't explicitly evaluate when deciding whether someone's attractive.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 10:36:50 PM »

Yeah. That's pretty much it and women look for strong guys because they want someone who can impregnate them and not get them or perhaps her killed in a fight over lord knows what reason.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 10:44:51 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2011, 10:46:22 PM by Frodo »

Yeah. That's pretty much it and women look for strong guys because they want someone who can impregnate them and not get them or perhaps her killed in a fight over lord knows what reason.

I believe you meant they want strong, tall, well-built guys because they can better protect them as well as their children.  Any man can impregnate a woman -it's not that hard.  It's harder to ensure no one else does.    
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 03:06:53 AM »

Because we were socialized that way.

/thread

courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 04:27:56 AM »

And why would that be?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 07:21:13 AM »

I've never liked either, at all. Call me strange but I'd rather focus on other parts of a female body.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 09:04:37 AM »

I could write you fellas a novel on this subject but some buzzkill has been reporting my posts and apparently I'm one breast comment away from being told to take a hike
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 11:54:10 AM »

I could write you fellas a novel on this subject but some buzzkill has been reporting my posts and apparently I'm one breast comment away from being told to take a hike

Just use euphemism, Seebeeze.  For you I would recommend military or battle references... for example:

'I was looking at her tremendous zeppelins when my P-38 jettisoned its fuel supply.'
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 12:57:30 PM »

For the same sorts of reasons that Japanese people were once socialized to react in the same way to the nape of the neck. Or dyed teeth.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 03:44:15 PM »

Just use euphemism, Seebeeze.  For you I would recommend military or battle references... for example:

'I was looking at her tremendous zeppelins when my P-38 jettisoned its fuel supply.'

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!! Touche my friend!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!! Touche my friend!

Nothing gives me greater satisfaction than a good belly laugh from m'pals.  By the by, have you ever heard of the 'comedy goldmine'? https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=138012.735
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies