I Have Some Things to Say
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  I Have Some Things to Say
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I Have Some Things to Say  (Read 1242 times)
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 24, 2004, 02:18:57 AM »

As most of you know, I was recently confirmed by the senate as Secretary of Forum Affairs.  Although I have not yet taken office, I immediately began the process of examining Atlasian statutes regarding election law in preparation for taking my new post after I was confirmed.  My findings have startled me.  To be entirely frank and honest, the constitution is a mess.  It is an unmitigated disaster.

For instance, while there is a constitutional provision prohibiting vote "amending" in presidential elections, there is no such prohibition in the case of senatorial elections.  This calls into question the results of a number of past senate elections in which vote editing has been an issue.

There are also other problems in regards to powers granted to the Judiciary.  While the constitution in one clause gives the Judiciary the right to "make any ruling they see fit to uphold the Constitution of the Atlas Forum," it also inhibits the rights of the Judiciary in the subsequent clause which states, "The Supreme Court may only interpret the law, and if they pass any ruling that usurps the senate's lawmaking authority, they are abusing their power and therefore subject to impeachment."

There are other strange and contradictary statements in the constitution.  These other examples will be highlighted in the second of two reports that I will be releasing upon taking office as Secretary of Forum Affairs.

These revelations have led me to reevaluate my political allegiances.  It is unfortunate, but I do not believe that President PBrunsel has paid sufficient attention to the coming constitutional crisis.  There were warnings, some that I didn't even quite take seriously.  First there was the Supreme Court decision rendering all senate decisions unconstitutional.  This was meant in part to bring our attention to the breadth and depth of the problems within the constitution.  Then Peter Bell brought the constitution's problems to the senate's attention again.  While I made a meager attempt to get the ball rolling after Peter Bell's warning, I did not fully understand the crisis.  I do now.

I do not blame PBrunsel for failing to take action on this constitutional crisis.  I, myself, did not take sufficient action to remedy the problem.  However, I have an opportunity now to ensure that these problems are fixed once and for all.  We need a president who will take on these problems right away.

There are other concerns I have with the PBrunsel administration.  The China policy is a little over-zealous, to say the least.  The communication between the president and the senate, and between the president and his cabinet has been abominable.

Although I believe that PBrunsel is a wonderful human being, and would make a wonderful president in better times, I cannot give him my full support in his bid to win reelection.  I am announcing my support for KEmperor for President.  I have spoken with him and it is clear to me that he clearly understands the urgency behind constitutional reform.  It is for this reason that I have agreed to chair his campaign in the 5th district.

To those of you who may feel betrayed by this decision, I assure that I made this decision with the best interest of the forum in mind.  Perhaps when the constitutional crisis has been resolved, we can return to partisan politics.  Until then, I plan to work with KEmperor and others to make this forum work.

Thank you all.  God bless.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 02:21:27 AM »

*applause*
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 02:22:27 AM »

I truly welcome the support of StevenNick.  He makes some very important points, and I URGE every citizen to read the constitution very carefully.  My time on the Supreme Court has revealed to me the sheer mess that is our current supreme law.  We need major reform, and this administration refuses to act.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 02:33:56 AM »

Looks like this KEmperor grassroots movement is spreading fast.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 07:07:47 AM »

"I told you so" really does come to mind at this point.

However, I had planned to wait for the New Year personally before essentially pushing a massive drive for a Constitutional Convention to fix the damn thing because right now everybody is busy or away with Christmas and the New Year.

I'd just like to remind StevenNick that there is also a massive problem inherent with the impeachment process before he goes about trying to impeach anybody. My reasons can be found in this thread.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 07:16:04 AM »

How true that is

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Agreed
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 08:27:19 AM »

It does to me as well. We could have had several Nyman insiders who have been dealing with the constitution for about a year, but we chose PBrunsel.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 08:36:31 AM »

It does to me as well. We could have had several Nyman insiders who have been dealing with the constitution for about a year, but we chose PBrunsel.

If you'd all elected an Insurgency candidate who had no intention of winning Atlasia wouldn't be in this mess :-P
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 09:32:54 AM »

If you'd all elected an Insurgency candidate who had no intention of winning Atlasia wouldn't be in this mess :-P

Well Al, we are not in a mess.

Akno, I surrounded myself with brilliant insiders like Fritz, John Ford, StevenNick, and the best in Peter Bell.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2004, 09:44:27 AM »

Several extremely serious Constitutional Crises, Gridlocked Government, A looming Nuclear war with China, Dodgy Economy... and so on...
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2004, 09:50:30 AM »

Several extremely serious Constitutional Crises, Gridlocked Government, A looming Nuclear war with China, Dodgy Economy... and so on...

Point taken Al. I have been advised by several close advisors on a beter way to deal with China. As many have said, a full embargo may lead to a nuculear confrentation. We need to take up a case with the WTO and comlain about China's insults to us and their human rights abuse. As Secretary Ford actually told me, we should, perhaps, set hire tariffs on Chinese textiles.

I am glad I have such wisae men in my cabinet.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2004, 11:06:57 AM »

Good speech, even though I think the bashing of the president is going a bit too far. It isn't easy being president. Also, I don't think all those Nyman insiders would have been that much better. We all know that Akno is really only talking of Harry, and he has had ample opportunities in the senate to do something about all these problems.

Has he?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2004, 04:35:18 PM »

However, I had planned to wait for the New Year personally before essentially pushing a massive drive for a Constitutional Convention to fix the damn thing because right now everybody is busy or away with Christmas and the New Year.

I'd just like to remind StevenNick that there is also a massive problem inherent with the impeachment process before he goes about trying to impeach anybody. My reasons can be found in this thread.

I am aware of the problems facing the impeachment process.  Honestly, when I read the constitution it wasn't even really clear to me whether or not the impeachment process was supposed to start with the senate or with the Chief Justice of the Supreme court.  The impeachment process is a mess.  However, I feel that is of such vital importance that all three members of the Supreme Court be active and informed to deal with the coming constitutional crisis.  I filed impeachment papers against MasterJedi just to make a point about activity in federal office.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2004, 05:24:33 PM »

Good speech, even though I think the bashing of the president is going a bit too far. It isn't easy being president. Also, I don't think all those Nyman insiders would have been that much better. We all know that Akno is really only talking of Harry, and he has had ample opportunities in the senate to do something about all these problems.

Has he?

Yes, I was talking about Harry, although Nation also qualifies.

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 05:25:29 PM »

Akno, I surrounded myself with brilliant insiders like Fritz, John Ford, StevenNick, and the best in Peter Bell.

If you had your way Mike Naso/Reaganfan would be our Defense Secretary, not John Ford.

JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2004, 05:29:28 PM »

It's Christmas guys, lets at least pretend to get along Smiley.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2004, 05:40:47 PM »

"The truth shall set you free" Wink

StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2004, 06:06:03 PM »

I think we really need to abandon partisanship for the next couple of election at least (if not entirely) and focus on forum affairs issues.  It's time to stop electing presidents based on party and begin electing them based on expertise in regards to forum affairs.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2004, 06:54:15 PM »

I think we really need to abandon partisanship for the next couple of election at least (if not entirely) and focus on forum affairs issues.  It's time to stop electing presidents based on party and begin electing them based on expertise in regards to forum affairs.

I agree with you, Mr. Secretary.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2004, 06:55:23 PM »

It's Christmas guys, lets at least pretend to get along Smiley.
It's not for me. I don't have to get along Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies