An Excercise
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:38:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  An Excercise
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An Excercise  (Read 663 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:32:46 AM »

Imagine if Cain was white.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 02:35:02 AM »

He would be sitting at Santorum levels of support, and Gingirch's time as flavor of the month would be coming to an end.
porker
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.26, S: -7.22

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »

He'd have dropped out after calling the majority of black people brainwashed and saying racism doesn't hold anybody back anymore.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 02:52:31 AM »

He'd be hounded by charges that he fathered two black children.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 02:54:37 AM »

His candidacy certainly seems a lot more ridiculous.
porker
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 03:04:51 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2011, 03:06:25 AM by porker »

His candidacy certainly seems a lot more ridiculous.

People wouldn't care as much about his success in the business world. Romney was arguably more successful but his accomplishments are seen as ordinary. He didn't beat the odds to live the American Dream. He doesn't prove that black people who put their heads down and work hard can make it too.

(Much of the same applied to Obama in 2008. His personal story and calls for hope and change were probably more appealing because of his race.)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 03:43:00 AM »

He would've gotten less attention than Thad McCotter.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 03:46:16 AM »

I think he would still be able to yell 9-9-9 over again and get some successes with that, his standoffish persona would still be present.
porker
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 04:23:03 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2011, 04:29:46 AM by porker »

I think he would still be able to yell 9-9-9 over again and get some successes with that, his standoffish persona would still be present.

True, but people's reaction to him might be different. For example when Bachmann says things out of the mainstream she is labeled "crazy." I suspect that has sexist undertones. "That crazy bitch!" Cain's race, along with his eccentric attitude, may lower people's expectations of him and make them more willing to forgive him when he makes gaffes, especially if there's the perception that he is being persecuted because of his race.

Another thought I just had. Conservatives were never really concerned with allegations of sexism against Bachmann (which I believe may have some validity) but are eager to play the race card in defense of Cain. Could Obama, and insecurities of being labeled racist by the left, contribute to this? "Liberals think they're entitled to the black vote. But now that we have a black guy on our side we can play the race card too!" It's like accusing your opponents of racism is a tactic to shield yourself from criticism, and since Republicans are under the impression that Obama uses his race card on every issue, they're overcompensating with Cain.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 04:27:41 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2011, 04:29:18 AM by seatown »

True, but people's reaction to him might be different. For example when Bachmann says things out of the mainstream she is labeled "crazy." I suspect that has sexist undertones. "That crazy bitch!" Cain's race, along with his eccentric attitude, may lower people's expectations of him and make them more willing to forgive him when he makes gaffes, especially if there's the perception that he is being persecuted because of his race.

Another thought I just had. Conservatives were never really concerned with allegations of sexism against Bachmann (which I believe may have some validity) but are eager to play the race card in defense of Cain. Could Obama, and insecurities of being labeled racist by the left, contribute to this?
Wouldn't a white women running against a black man, bring better positive stereotypes images in conservatives psyche though?
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 11:32:19 AM »

I still think that Cain's personality and working-class background are at least as important to his public image, and in turn, his success.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 12:24:13 PM »

Senator Cain (having won in 2004 and been re-elected in 2010) would have 20 point leads in every primary state and Perry would have never run 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies