Israel general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:09:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 74
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 229111 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: March 22, 2016, 08:45:39 AM »

Yes, that's exactly what I said Roll Eyes
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #576 on: March 22, 2016, 11:18:04 AM »

Unless young people (who overwhelmingly support the Democrats) radically change their political opinions, then I do think Israel has a lot to worry about.
and the uneducated people don't like Israel either.

So I don't like Israel. Therefore I'm not educated.

Nah; you've given more specific reasons for that (like your belief that the US isn't morally superior to Cuba, or your belief that Israel encouraged the US' war in Iraq, or your belief that individual politicians can characterize a nation).
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #577 on: March 22, 2016, 11:44:17 AM »

Unless young people (who overwhelmingly support the Democrats) radically change their political opinions, then I do think Israel has a lot to worry about.

Nah; you've given more specific reasons for that (like your belief that the US isn't morally superior to Cuba, or your belief that Israel encouraged the US' war in Iraq, or your belief that individual politicians can characterize a nation).

I never said we're not morally superior to Cuba. I'm simply saying criricisms about us are valid when it comes to morality and that given our foreign policy track record in the last 100 years, we shouldn't lecture the rest of the world on freedom and democracy. What good is preaching American values if we don't often exercise them on the world's stage?

Also, it is proof that Netanyahu actually encouraged the American invasion of Iraq back in 2002. Look it up.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #578 on: March 22, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »

I never said we're not morally superior to Cuba. I'm simply saying criricisms about us are valid when it comes to morality and that given our foreign policy track record in the last 100 years, we shouldn't lecture the rest of the world on freedom and democracy. What good is preaching American values if we don't often exercise them on the world's stage?

Also, it is proof that Netanyahu actually encouraged the American invasion of Iraq back in 2002. Look it up.

A whole lot of people supported that war. Holding Israel in any way responsible for what was primarily led by George W. Bush's grudge against the dictator who tried to murder his father is anti-semitism.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #579 on: March 22, 2016, 11:51:53 AM »

I'm simply saying criricisms about us are valid when it comes to morality and that given our foreign policy track record in the last 100 years, we shouldn't lecture the rest of the world on freedom and democracy.
Exactly, so why are you still whining about Israel?
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #580 on: March 22, 2016, 11:58:21 AM »

A whole lot of people supported that war. Holding Israel in any way responsible for what was primarily led by George W. Bush's grudge against the dictator who tried to murder his father is anti-semitism.

It's not just one person or one country. Anybody in power or influence who supported that war bears responsibility.

Stop thinking criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic. It's fair game.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #581 on: March 22, 2016, 12:00:41 PM »

I'm simply saying criricisms about us are valid when it comes to morality and that given our foreign policy track record in the last 100 years, we shouldn't lecture the rest of the world on freedom and democracy.
Exactly, so why are you still whining about Israel?

I'm against all sorts of injustices. What Israel does to Palestine is one of many. I oppose what the Saudi government does on human rights. I oppose the Sharia theocracy of Iran. I oppose our actions of toppling governments when we didn't have to.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #582 on: March 22, 2016, 12:03:56 PM »

I'm against all sorts of injustices. What Israel does to Palestine is one of many. I oppose what the Saudi government does on human rights. I oppose the Sharia theocracy of Iran. I oppose our actions of toppling governments when we didn't have to.

Pick one.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #583 on: March 22, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »

It's not just one person or one country. Anybody in power or influence who supported that war bears responsibility.

And yet I don't see you talking about Poland or the UK's responsibility to stop ISIL.

Plus, again, if Israel started aggressively bombing ISIL bases tomorrow, can you honestly tell me you would support it? Or would you be talking about Eebul Israel bombing Muslims again?

And I'll stop calling certain criticisms of Israel anti-semitic when Israel critics stop blaming us for the US' mistakes and terrorizing American Jews on college campuses.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #584 on: March 22, 2016, 12:08:38 PM »

Pick one.

When we're in the wrong, let's condemn ourselves. Let's also oppose what others have done wrong, too. I want a change in our foreign policy for the better. Allying ourselves with Israel and Saudi Arabia in its current form is not ideal to me.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #585 on: March 22, 2016, 12:10:40 PM »

And yet I don't see you talking about Poland or the UK's responsibility to stop ISIL.

Plus, again, if Israel started aggressively bombing ISIL bases tomorrow, can you honestly tell me you would support it? Or would you be talking about Eebul Israel bombing Muslims again?

And I'll stop calling certain criticisms of Israel anti-semitic when Israel critics stop blaming us for the US' mistakes and terrorizing American Jews on college campuses.

I want anyone and everyone to destroy the Islamic State. I don't care which country it is.

When you call someone anti-Semitic for criticizing Israel on things in response to something else you find unfair, you're not being the bigger person.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #586 on: March 22, 2016, 12:31:54 PM »

I want anyone and everyone to destroy the Islamic State. I don't care which country it is.

When you call someone anti-Semitic for criticizing Israel on things in response to something else you find unfair, you're not being the bigger person.

First up, I'm not interested in being the bigger person. Not anymore. We've been trying to do that for centuries, and it led us to the ovens. That's why Israel is so important to me - because it's the best insurance against a second Holocaust we've ever had.

And second, I'm not calling you anti-semitic. I haven't seen enough evidence to go with that, unlike other posters, who like to throw around slurs and make explicitly anti-semitic comparisons. I do think, however, your focus on Israel's "culpability" for Iraq has shades of anti-semitic arguments and you should probably drop it. Bush didn't need any outside forces pushing him to war with Iraq. Israel bought into the presented evidence just like most of America.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #587 on: March 22, 2016, 12:39:04 PM »

First up, I'm not interested in being the bigger person. Not anymore. We've been trying to do that for centuries, and it led us to the ovens. That's why Israel is so important to me - because it's the best insurance against a second Holocaust we've ever had.

And second, I'm not calling you anti-semitic. I haven't seen enough evidence to go with that, unlike other posters, who like to throw around slurs and make explicitly anti-semitic comparisons. I do think, however, your focus on Israel's "culpability" for Iraq has shades of anti-semitic arguments and you should probably drop it. Bush didn't need any outside forces pushing him to war with Iraq. Israel bought into the presented evidence just like most of America.

I want you to know that I condemn the holocaust just like everyone else. I also want you to know I don't approve of Israel's treatment of Palestine. Both are wrong and my heart goes out to the victims and families in both situations.

My whole point on Israel and Iraq is that it only shows how much influence Israel has on America and it should not be.

I support a two state solution with a decreased Israel lobby influence while also protecting religious freedoms for Jewish people here and other religious groups.

I do not want a second Holocaust. I do not want Israel wiped off the map. I simply want what I believe to be an injustice to be corrected and that is a free Palestine.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #588 on: March 22, 2016, 12:49:17 PM »

I want you to know that I condemn the holocaust just like everyone else. I also want you to know I don't approve of Israel's treatment of Palestine. Both are wrong and my heart goes out to the victims and families in both situations.

My whole point on Israel and Iraq is that it only shows how much influence Israel has on America and it should not be.

I support a two state solution with a decreased Israel lobby influence while also protecting religious freedoms for Jewish people here and other religious groups.

I do not want a second Holocaust. I do not want Israel wiped off the map. I simply want what I believe to be an injustice to be corrected and that is a free Palestine.

Except, see, once again you have this backwards.

Bush wanted the US to go to war in Iraq even before 9/11. This is confirmed. Israel may have agreed with him (especially after being presented the same evidence), but they certainly didn't "influence" him.

If anything, on Iraq, Israel did the US' dirty work, not the other way around. Israel had reasons to want Saddam gone, for sure, starting with Saddam's bombing of Israel during the Gulf War, but that just meant they had common cause with Bush and his long-standing grudge.

So if you want to make a case about the Israel lobby, Iraq is very much the wrong place to do it.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #589 on: March 22, 2016, 01:16:29 PM »

Bush wanted the US to go to war in Iraq even before 9/11. This is confirmed. Israel may have agreed with him (especially after being presented the same evidence), but they certainly didn't "influence" him.

If anything, on Iraq, Israel did the US' dirty work, not the other way around. Israel had reasons to want Saddam gone, for sure, starting with Saddam's bombing of Israel during the Gulf War, but that just meant they had common cause with Bush and his long-standing grudge.

So if you want to make a case about the Israel lobby, Iraq is very much the wrong place to do it.

Go watch what Netanyahu said before Congress. He has since gotten a second stint as PM. Now that he is back in power, he should be reminded of his words and no Iraq invasion means no destabilization which led these monsters to rise up.

His prediction of enormous positive reverberations has been the complete opposite. Let him and his military play their part in destroying these terrorists.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #590 on: March 22, 2016, 01:22:21 PM »

Stop whining, Berniebro. Jesus, it looks ugly.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #591 on: March 22, 2016, 01:30:34 PM »

Stop whining, Berniebro. Jesus, it looks ugly.

I have a right to voice my opinion about them and if you wish to do so and criticize me, you also have that right, but I won't stop condemning Israel for the things they have done.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #592 on: March 22, 2016, 01:31:03 PM »

Go watch what Netanyahu said before Congress. He has since gotten a second stint as PM. Now that he is back in power, he should be reminded of his words and no Iraq invasion means no destabilization which led these monsters to rise up.

His prediction of enormous positive reverberations has been the complete opposite. Let him and his military play their part in destroying these terrorists.
You do realize that at the time Netanyahu had exactly the same status as private citizen Yossi Schmo?
Of course the actual prime minister at the time (Sharon) privately advised Bush against going into Iraq.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #593 on: March 22, 2016, 01:52:48 PM »

Well that waa then and this is now. Sharon is deceased. Bibi is back in power. If he never had a second stint, I'd have less of an issue with it. Since he's back in, I'd like to see Israel play a role in destroying these monsters.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #594 on: March 22, 2016, 01:56:28 PM »

And I would like to have a BMW. And a mansion with a swimming pool. But an important part of growing up and becoming an adult is knowing that you sometimes don't get what you want, Berniebro.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #595 on: March 22, 2016, 02:52:04 PM »

And I would like to have a BMW. And a mansion with a swimming pool. But an important part of growing up and becoming an adult is knowing that you sometimes don't get what you want, Berniebro.

That doesn't seem very adult of a response on your behalf.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #596 on: March 22, 2016, 03:28:28 PM »

I mean given that you're basically the one throwing the equivalent of a three year old's temper tantrum in this thread, not sure you're one to talk.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #597 on: March 22, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »

I mean given that you're basically the one throwing the equivalent of a three year old's temper tantrum in this thread, not sure you're one to talk.

Not sure how it's a temper tantrum. Who am I personally attacking?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #598 on: March 23, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »

In 72 hours, you managed to make 20 (!) posts to this thread which can be summarized as follows: "I don't know anything about either Israeli politics or the history of the US intervention in Iraq, but Israel is responsible for it, I'm just so Very Angry about all this, but it's all cool because I'm really, really not an anti-Semite!" If that's not a typical BernieBro temper tantrum, albeit a rather long one, then what is?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #599 on: March 23, 2016, 01:16:41 PM »

Not sure how it's a temper tantrum. Who am I personally attacking?
The purpose of this board is for Danny to give us updates on the most recent Israeli junk polls, hnv1 to alert us on which labour bureaucrat is stabbing his rival for control of a doomed party, and DavidB to  remind us that, yes, srugim are a thing. Not included is overgrown manchildren from the 2016 board whinging about how they REALLY REALLY HATE ISRAEL for the twenty thousandth time. Your presence is unwanted, and a nuisance. Begone.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies