Gallup: Americans in love with their guns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:35:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gallup: Americans in love with their guns
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Gallup: Americans in love with their guns  (Read 4913 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »

Disgusting.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 04:40:33 PM »

Obviously if we didn't have guns there would be fewer murders, most people who use guns are too cowardly to kill someone by hand.

and if we didn't have blacks there would be fewer murders...and if we didn't have Italians there would be less organized crime...and if we didn't have Jews we'd have less banks to bail out...and if we didn't have electricity there would be fewer electrocutions...and if we didn't have cars there would be fewer highway deaths, most people are too lazy to walk 15 miles to work.

Very tastefull.

i could think of no better way to parallel the idiocy of what I was responding to.

And if we hadn't Christianity then there wouldn't be millions of innocent dead during the Crusades, the Inquisition, the conquest of Americas and the colonization of Africa.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »

How much less strict could gun laws really be at this point? None of them at all? I also find it amusing that, as gun laws have become less strict in the last decade, people wanting more strict gun laws has consistently gone down. This country..

Indeed. It's kind of like people saying "Taxed Enough Already!" when they really aren't paying very high taxes.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 04:43:56 PM »

the push and the pull of the night, I won't say I'm depleted I feel alright
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 04:46:59 PM »

Obviously if we didn't have guns there would be fewer murders, most people who use guns are too cowardly to kill someone by hand.

and if we didn't have blacks there would be fewer murders...and if we didn't have Italians there would be less organized crime...and if we didn't have Jews we'd have less banks to bail out...and if we didn't have electricity there would be fewer electrocutions...and if we didn't have cars there would be fewer highway deaths, most people are too lazy to walk 15 miles to work.

Very tastefull.

At least he's being honest.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 04:47:41 PM »

And if we hadn't Christianity heretical Christians then there wouldn't be millions of innocent dead during the Crusades, the Inquisition, the conquest of Americas and the colonization of Africa.

agreed
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 05:05:13 PM »

And if we hadn't Christianity heretical Christians then there wouldn't be millions of innocent dead during the Crusades, the Inquisition, the conquest of Americas and the colonization of Africa.

agreed

Yeah, no True Scotsmen indeed.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 06:14:42 PM »

That he doesn't see the irony...
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 06:42:25 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2011, 06:58:51 PM by 555 95472 »

The homicide rate in the U.S. among white perpetrators only is much higher than the rates for other Western countries.

For whatever reason the most recent DOJ statistics by race (at least readily available on DOJ's web site) are from 2005. In that year the US homicide rate (all rates per 100,000 people) was 5.6 overall, whereas among whites (by race of perpetrator) it was 3.5. By contrast other major Western democracies include the UK at 1.4, France at 1.6, Germany at 1.1, Australia at 1.3 and Canada at 2.1. The highest other Western democracy, still much lower than the US white rate, is Finland at 2.2 (which also has abnormally high gun ownership for Europe).

(edit: just to be clear, the numbers for non-US countries are overall, not subdivided by race. The white numbers are presumably lower still, though most countries don't categorize their statistics this way).
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 06:50:42 PM »

agreed

how did the  the conquest of Americas slip in there?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 07:46:09 PM »

Now if only I could own a gun...
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 07:50:22 PM »

I find that kind of sad...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 09:35:18 PM »

Why? I fully intend on exercising my right to bear arms when I'm outta my current situation. Maybe even start up hunting, though I doubt I have the patience, skill, or even knowledge (sadly never been hunting) for that.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 01:56:34 AM »

The homicide rate in the U.S. among white perpetrators only is much higher than the rates for other Western countries.

For whatever reason the most recent DOJ statistics by race (at least readily available on DOJ's web site) are from 2005. In that year the US homicide rate (all rates per 100,000 people) was 5.6 overall, whereas among whites (by race of perpetrator) it was 3.5. By contrast other major Western democracies include the UK at 1.4, France at 1.6, Germany at 1.1, Australia at 1.3 and Canada at 2.1. The highest other Western democracy, still much lower than the US white rate, is Finland at 2.2 (which also has abnormally high gun ownership for Europe).

(edit: just to be clear, the numbers for non-US countries are overall, not subdivided by race. The white numbers are presumably lower still, though most countries don't categorize their statistics this way).

Sorry Linus, but you assertion is based on varying definitions.

What happens is that offender data on UCR is lumped into four racial categories, with anyone not considered black, Asian/pacific islander or native American is by default considered "white."

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2011, 02:28:03 AM »

That must be an older study.

If Austria had 4 intentional firearm deaths per 100.000 people, that would result in a total of 340 firearm deaths.

Yet in the last year, according to the Crime Report by the Interior Ministry, only 18 cases of homicides out of 162 involved firearms.

Out of 1260 suicides, 210 involved firearms.

In total, that's a rate of 2.7/100.000 people
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2011, 04:56:46 AM »

Did you forget that we still have FAR more gun murders than any other rich country?

would you rather they be pushed out of a window?

If this were true, wouldn't we have more murders now that we have so many more guns?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2011, 05:06:14 AM »

Did you forget that we still have FAR more gun murders than any other rich country?

If this were true, wouldn't we have more murders now that we have so many more guns?

Deadman....I do have one question, why do you think the murder rate in the U.S. is so significantly higher than in Europe?

I understand there are other factors (drug abuse....poverty among minorities particulary, etc.), but do you think that explains it all?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2011, 08:38:25 AM »

Deadman....I do have one question, why do you think the murder rate in the U.S. is so significantly higher than in Europe?

I understand there are other factors (drug abuse....poverty among minorities particulary, etc.), but do you think that explains it all?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American
I doubt our murder rate among whites is much higher than in Europe.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2011, 08:44:53 AM »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzFWRPiNXOI
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2011, 08:45:09 AM »

Yoiu are correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American
I doubt our murder rate among whites is much higher than in Europe.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2011, 08:59:19 AM »

I just wanted to look up the FBI statistics regarding homicide offenders by sex and race.

The statistics are:

9,972 male
1,075 female
4,047 unknown

5,770 Black
4,849 White
4,224 Unknown
   251 Other

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10shrtbl03.xls

WTF ?

How is it possible that you classify more than 4000 homicide offenders as "unknown" ?

I know there are transgender people, but they cannot account for 30% of the offenders ...

Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2011, 09:09:21 AM »

Besides, if we talk about the fact that "White Americans" are more likely to be killers than their European counterparts, it's TRUE - if we go by simple facts:

According to the 2010 Census, there were 196,817,552 "White only" (not Hispanic) people in the US.

4,849 homicide offenders where "White only" (even without the ridiculously high number of "unknown")

That would lead to a homicide rate of 2.5 per 100.000 white American people.

On the other hand, even the country with the highest murder rate in Western Europe (Finland) isn't as homicidal as the White American men or the White American woman, especially if we factor in the "unknown". If we factor in the "unknown", the rate would probably rise to about 3 per 100.000 Whites.

See here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=141987.msg3049112#msg3049112
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2011, 09:16:16 AM »

I just wanted to look up the FBI statistics regarding homicide offenders by sex and race.

The statistics are:

9,972 male
1,075 female
4,047 unknown

5,770 Black
4,849 White
4,224 Unknown
   251 Other

I'd like to know the race of those 1075 women...my mental image is a black woman with a cut eyelid and a bloody lip, getting revenge by poppin caps in some abusive cheatin homeboy's arse.

true story: a couple of doors down in the hood I grew up in...some young black woman blew her daddy away with a shotgun one night around dinner time...we heard the shot and after the cops had been there a couple of minutes, a neighbor lady (a black fiend of said family) ran down the street yelling, "Lakasha done shot her daddy!"
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2011, 09:32:07 AM »

Those things and the side effects of the War on Drugs with a little "violent culture" thrown in for good measure.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2011, 09:35:51 AM »

I've just calculated that Black Americans are about 6 times more likely to be killers than White Americans:

White Americans: 2.5/100.000
Black Americans: 15.3/100.000

Without the "unknown" category, out of which many are probably Hispanics.

The average for the EU-27 is 1.3/100.000, where mostly everybody is considered "white". I think almost all EU countries only differentiate between "native" and "foreign" homicide offenders. Maybe the UK or France, which have larger Black populations do differentiate between "White" and "Black" , but I´m not sure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies