Opinion of Catholic Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:01:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Catholic Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Catholic Democrats
Freedom Group

Horrible Group

lol Catholics

lol Democrats

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Opinion of Catholic Democrats  (Read 1574 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2011, 12:05:53 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Democrats

Checked out their website, looks like a Freedom Group to me.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:04:30 PM »

Lean FG, partially a sentiment we could use some more of.

But I suspect anyone who doesn't consider abortion to be a far more significant problem in this country than any of the others listed doesn't actually believe life begins at the moment of conception. We abort more babies in about two months than total people died in the entire Iraq conflict.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 03:44:15 PM »

All four to some degree....FG, nothing wrong with them at all, though we probably disagree on most things.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:18:29 PM »

A worthy response to those who try to make abortion the sole doctrinal issue for determining one's vote.  Certainly it should be an issue, but not the sole issue.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 07:44:06 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2011, 07:53:58 PM by realisticidealist »

I voted FG, unsurprisingly. Tongue Fortunately, we aren't talking about people like John Kerry here.

Lean FG, partially a sentiment we could use some more of.

But I suspect anyone who doesn't consider abortion to be a far more significant problem in this country than any of the others listed doesn't actually believe life begins at the moment of conception. We abort more babies in about two months than total people died in the entire Iraq conflict.

The problem is that, due to the way abortion was legalized in this country, there is very little that can be done policywise against abortion that would fundamentally change that outside of a constitutional amendment or changing the Supreme Court. You can nibble at the edges sure, plus you can help raise awareness, but these things have diminishing returns, and, if done improperly, can drive people away from the cause. The truth is that focusing all your attention and effort on abortion is not only a futile effort, but one that is oversimplistic. We live in a complicated political world that requires us to pay attention to many issues in order to govern properly, not to mention that there are other things that kill more people every year around the world than abortion (disease, malnutrition, genocides). We shouldn't let any more of these people die than we have to in the name of getting tiny gains to save others.

Don't get me wrong, I'm firmly pro-life, moreso than most, but you have to be realistic and holistic in your approach to politics, or else not only will people not take you seriously, but you turn a blind eye to other tragedies that you could easily act on.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 08:05:43 PM »

lol Catholics
lol Democrats
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 09:25:07 PM »

Well, there's Bob Casey (Sr.) then there's John Kerry. Tongue
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 09:41:10 PM »

Well, there's Bob Casey (Sr.) then there's John Kerry. Tongue

The Caseys are some of my favorite politicians. Kerry, well, he's one of the many nominal Catholic Democrats in office. Unfortunately they are rather numerous. :/
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 03:20:31 PM »

Unless we're talking the Caseys, HP.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 03:54:37 PM »

There are a lot of other Catholic Democrats besides the Caseys who certainly aren't HP's. Most of them are in the US House and don't get a ton of attention. People like Dan Lipinkski, Joe Donnelly,  Bart Stupak, Tim Ryan, Marcy Kaptur, Charlie Wilson, Steve Dreihaus, John Boccieri, (wait...I'm not just listing former Ohio US House reps...?), and Jim Trafficant, who knew no partisan lines he wasn't willing to cross.

I wrote my representative, Marcy Kaptur, a letter asking her to vote for the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act and she not only was one of 16 Democrats who voted for it, but actually wrote me a letter back explaining her support. If I still live in OH-9 next year, I might register as a Democrat to support her over Dennis Kucinich in the primary.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 04:18:01 PM »

It's rather difficult not to call him a HP... Most of the others you mentioned are pretty good, especially Donnelly and Lipinski. Kaptur seems a bit unsure of her conviction on abortion though. Tim Ryan's currency bill was idiotic, but he seems otherwise ok. I was quite disappointed that Jim Oberstar lost last year; he was one of my favorites.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 11:42:34 PM »

Freedom group, obviously.  The U.S. Council of Bishops, which thinks it can speak for all Catholics in this country, is far out of step from what the typical Catholic thinks.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 12:08:15 AM »
« Edited: October 27, 2011, 12:54:12 AM by Nathan »

There are a lot of other Catholic Democrats besides the Caseys who certainly aren't HP's. Most of them are in the US House and don't get a ton of attention. People like Dan Lipinkski, Joe Donnelly,  Bart Stupak, Tim Ryan, Marcy Kaptur, Charlie Wilson, Steve Dreihaus, John Boccieri, (wait...I'm not just listing former Ohio US House reps...?), and Jim Trafficant, who knew no partisan lines he wasn't willing to cross.

I wrote my representative, Marcy Kaptur, a letter asking her to vote for the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act and she not only was one of 16 Democrats who voted for it, but actually wrote me a letter back explaining her support. If I still live in OH-9 next year, I might register as a Democrat to support her over Dennis Kucinich in the primary.

I am really, really fond of Marcy Kaptur; she's a great example of what I think my party needs a lot more of. She's not afraid to be very liberal (in, of course, the American sense) but one gets the sense that she thinks out her positions on at least a lot of issues and her occasionally more traditional cultural instincts do appeal to me quite a bit.

I also like having John Kerry as my Senator, but unlike someone like Kaptur or Richard Neal I'm hardly about to hold him up as a pillar of religious civic virtue.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 12:48:01 AM »

Well, I'm one myself, so FG. I'm with the church on all the social issues except stem cell research (and I guess my PM score reflects that).
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »

If they're like these guys, then they're FFs and an example of what religion should be and what the RCC should be.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 05:28:34 PM »

If they're like these guys, then they're FFs and an example of what religion should be and what the RCC should be.

Eww...I like their strong leftism, but their social positions make them a standard liberal party. No thank you.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 05:38:16 PM »

Charlie Wilson was Catholic?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »

I presume he means the Charlie Wilson from Ohio, not Texas.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 05:45:44 PM »

I presume he means the Charlie Wilson from Ohio, not Texas.

Ah.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies