Why do you think certain groups like to hype up the apocalypse?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:04:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why do you think certain groups like to hype up the apocalypse?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do you think certain groups like to hype up the apocalypse?  (Read 1231 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:30:36 AM »

I think it's because some people get a sexual high out of instilling fear in others.

And yes, I'm talking about more than just the usual suspects (people who read the book of Revelations and try to come up with mathematics to explain why the world will end in five minutes).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:52:47 AM »

Indeed.  The coming Ice Age, or Global Warming, or lack of landfills, or peak oil, or too many people, or too few people, or Jesus is coming (LOOK BUSY!) or the anti-Christ is coming (LOOK EVEN MORE BUSY!) or terrorists will kill us all.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:18:39 AM »

It's almost like I didn't finish my thought up
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »
« Edited: October 19, 2011, 09:48:49 AM by Greed is Good. »

Because to know that tomorrow could be the end, leads folks to try and live their lives in the best way possible. I do not refer to throwing ones self into hedonistic abandon, but as trying to hold stedfast to one's tenates of faith...if we refer to some mainstream theims. Its the idea that you shouldn't postpone living like Christ tomorrow, and remember that this mortal coil of ours is just ephemeral.

The notion in Christainity that the end is nigh, is as old as the faith itself. Hell, they didn't really write anything down for the first 70-100 years because they thought Jesus was to return within their lifetimes. So the tradition of date setting is nothing new...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 02:32:22 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2011, 02:56:05 PM by Cult of Personality »

Because to know that tomorrow could be the end, leads folks to try and live their lives in the best way possible. I do not refer to throwing ones self into hedonistic abandon, but as trying to hold stedfast to one's tenates of faith...if we refer to some mainstream theims. Its the idea that you shouldn't postpone living like Christ tomorrow, and remember that this mortal coil of ours is just ephemeral.

The notion in Christainity that the end is nigh, is as old as the faith itself. Hell, they didn't really write anything down for the first 70-100 years because they thought Jesus was to return within their lifetimes. So the tradition of date setting is nothing new...

Well of course.

I was more talking about the setting of a specific date for the end to come.  Personally I do agree somewhat with many that there will be an end to existence.  What I don't agree with is groups like fringe christians, environmentalists, stoned college people who believe that the scientific analyses of an ancient as hell civilization that most likely wiped their asses with their hands of the end times is credible, etc. who believe it is predictable.
I would think the idea that life could end at any time would help people strive to be better people.  Or that The End will be so unpredicted, happen so sudden that there should be no fear.  Instead some people like to set specific dates that seem to have very little other purpose than to cause alarm and (in some cases) financial loss.
While I'm here, knowing the end could come at any moment, I intend to leave as good of an impression as I can.  Some people in these End of Days movements I feel are in it more for the social gathering that they are for about making a good change on the world.  I feel like guys like Harold Camping who purport this kind of agenda that causes people to sell off everything they have or what not are the scum of the Earth.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 02:47:37 PM »

The most annoying groups to be are the 2012ers (I actually met a young lady who said 'I wanted to be a vet, but you know, with the end of the world, why the hell waste my time training?' I was, well, a little befuddled with that one).

As to why? Well I would assume that it is due to the most fundamental aspects of human nature--we are obssessed with death, and we are obssessed with an "order" to things.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 01:20:53 AM »

I don't understand how someone can believe the Bible to be entirely true and literal in all it states AND believe in the Rapture.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 06:24:14 AM »

I don't understand how someone can believe the Bible to be entirely true and literal in all it states AND believe in the Rapture.

Because they don't tend to in the way you describe it. Most people who say they take the Bible literally don't mean there aren't places in it that are using metaphors. In terms of Revelations, the metaphors describe real people and places as far as they are concerned.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 07:01:45 AM »

Because they don't tend to in the way you describe it. Most people who say they take the Bible literally don't mean there aren't places in it that are using metaphors. In terms of Revelations, the metaphors describe real people and places as far as they are concerned.

And has subsequently led to numerous differing interpretations over the past two thousand years as people's understanding of people and places changes. Bit like Nostradamus.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 10:11:20 PM »

Attention
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 09:08:19 AM »

It's a pity that Revelation has become so popular with the absolute crazies, because it's actually quite beautiful.

Am always tempted to randomly quote from it in order to scare people though.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 12:12:19 PM »

You don't wanna be Left Behind, do ya?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 12:33:26 PM »

wow, you all have made such a mess of this thread...I feel compelled to clean it up.

1) the explanation of the end times is not suppose to scare Christians, it is suppose to comfort them "when you see these things taking place, look up for your redemption draws nigh"

2) the Apostles did NOT believe the end was imminent - rather they taught certain events must occur first

3) the identity of the figures symbolized will not be knowable until the events are unfolding
Lucius Quintus Cincinatus Lamar
amcculloum
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: 4.00

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 12:39:48 PM »

It's a pity that Revelation has become so popular with the absolute crazies, because it's actually quite beautiful.

I thought the reference to the rapture was supposed to come out of First Thessalonians, not Revelation, is that not correct?  However, I am aware that those pushing the rapture are big on Revelation.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 12:44:59 PM »

I thought the reference to the rapture was supposed to come out of First Thessalonians, not Revelation, is that not correct?  However, I am aware that those pushing the rapture are big on Revelation.

you can teach the rapture from several books of the NT, including Revelations...but 1Cor ch 15 and 1Thes ch 4 give the most detail as to what the individual will experience.   
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 06:53:05 PM »

Well the event is just the church meeting Christ when he comes back. For a specifically PRE-TRIBULATION rapture I hear Rev 3:10 used a lot:

"Because you have kept the word of My perseverance, I also will keep you from the hour of testing, that hour which is about to come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth" (NASB)

I don't believe in a pre-tribulation rapture, but some make a better case for it than others. I personally think it undermines the plain/normal/literal hermeneutic that Dispensationalists aim for. There are also people that support the idea for less than entirely Biblical reasons as I'm sure you can imagine.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies