Ron Paul is having another one of his silly moneybombs today
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:05:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Ron Paul is having another one of his silly moneybombs today
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ron Paul is having another one of his silly moneybombs today  (Read 1777 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2011, 11:43:58 PM »

Let's see how much money his supporters throw away this time

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:47:19 PM »

What exactly is all this money being spent on?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:49:48 PM »

I think he's been running TV ads for sometime now, but they're of course having no effect because everyone made up their minds about Ron Paul sometime ago.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 11:54:46 PM »

I have always wanted to buy marijuana from someone with a Ron Paul lawn sign just to say I did. Problem is I don't really buy marijuana.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »

Ron Paul may rightfully be criticized for embracing some of the absurdities of so-called "libertarianism." Calling his highly effective fundraising "silly" is purely ad hominem.
Jacobtm

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »

I have always wanted to buy marijuana from someone with a Ron Paul lawn sign just to say I did. Problem is I don't really buy marijuana.

Go to an Occupy event and a Ron Paul guy will probably smoke you up if you talk about ending the fed.
Rochambeau jk I'm Hamilton
Conservatarian1989
Rookie
United States
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 02:05:41 PM »

Ron Paul may rightfully be criticized for embracing some of the absurdities of so-called "libertarianism." Calling his highly effective fundraising "silly" is purely ad hominem.

No, your face is ad hominem.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »

Well, Ron Paul is actually raising money from people, not from corporate slush funds that are created and dissolved in hours.....thats why he is second to Romney.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 02:56:18 PM »

His harem, of course.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 02:57:35 PM »

I'd imagine if he tried at it he could have a hundred thousand twenty-something wives
Jacobtm

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »

He doesn't have the swag to pull it off

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 03:50:54 PM »

$1.2 million wasted so far. Maybe they'll buy another blimp or two.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 05:01:41 PM »

Pffft, that's nothing.

Thus far, $17 million has been wasted on Perry, ~$23 million on Romney, and, for a grand prize, well over $150 million on Obama.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 06:52:08 PM »

Pffft, that's nothing.

Thus far, $17 million has been wasted on Perry, ~$23 million on Romney, and, for a grand prize, well over $150 million on Obama.

You seem to miss the point. One of those three will actually be elected President.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »

Pffft, that's nothing.

You seem to miss the point. One of those three four will actually be elected President.

Fixed that for you. Though to be fair, you're right in that three have anything resembling realistic chances; Perry has no shot short of the collective IQ of the US dropping by twenty points.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 07:57:02 PM »

Hookers, pot, and other things that are important to South Park Republicans.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 08:12:42 PM »

You will be assimilated.

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »

Pffft, that's nothing.

You seem to miss the point. One of those three four will actually be elected President.

Fixed that for you. Though to be fair, you're right in that three have anything resembling realistic chances; Perry has no shot short of the collective IQ of the US dropping by twenty points.

Heh. Alright. Have fun living in your fantasyland for the next few months.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 09:05:21 PM »

Pffft, that's nothing.

Heh. Alright. Have fun living in your fantasyland for the next few months.

Thus far, I've predicted the rise and fall of four separate GOP candidates, not to mention the present state of the economy about a year ahead of time. Predicting a Paul victory is far less of a fantasy than those of people back then assuming that Trump, Cain, Bachmann, Perry and Cain again were candidates with any hope of winning.

We'll see. I haven't been wrong in a big way yet.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 09:27:55 PM »

Hookers, pot, and other things that are important to South Park Republicans.

For campaign expenditures most likely.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 12:11:34 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2011, 12:13:50 PM by Averroës Nix »

Thus far, I've predicted the rise and fall of four separate GOP candidates, not to mention the present state of the economy about a year ahead of time. Predicting a Paul victory is far less of a fantasy than those of people back then assuming that Trump, Cain, Bachmann, Perry and Cain again were candidates with any hope of winning.

What conditions and events would lead to a Paul victory?

You do have a good record, but I'm extremely skeptical of claims that a Paul nomination is even remotely plausible.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 01:51:08 PM »

What conditions and events would lead to a Paul victory?

You do have a good record, but I'm extremely skeptical of claims that a Paul nomination is even remotely plausible.

There's a reason I put Paul's chances at 15% and Romney's at 75%. His chances of victory are remote, but they at least exist. A couple exist, but the non-surprise endorsement route (A DeMint/Palin endorsement would raise his chances to about 50% alone, but lets assume that doesn't happen) would be roughly:

Stuff happens, Cain falls, no one takes up the mantle of Flavour of the month after him
Ron gets off some good publicity, the other candidates don't dig into his support which begins rising slowly
With the weakened opposition, Ron's powerful organization gets out the vote and wins Iowa with a plurality of the vote, ideally followed by Gingrich or Cain.
With Ron now viewed as the anti-Romney, he performs quite well in New Hampshire. A first would be entirely possible under various circumstances, but second in New Hampshire would be far more likely.
South Carolina probably goes to someone besides Romney and Paul (Cain? Gingrich? Perry?). A strong performance by Paul ensures that he still benefits more than Romney.
Ron's libertarian base in Nevada goes up against Romney's Mormon supporters, which leads to a fight between the organizations that has Paul win.

From here, you have a Paul vs Romney election with other candidates snatching a state here and there (Georgia for Gingrich/Cain, Minnesota for Bachmann, etc). Ron's particular base means that he digs into a portion of Romney's supporters, making him competitive in states that Romney would probably otherwise sweep (California, Maine, etc). Even in a best case scenario, unless the other candidates are completely gone we probably end with a brokered convention, which comes down to who won the remaining seats. Cain would probably go with Romney, Bachmann to Paul, and damned if I know who Perry and Gingrich would support. I think I made a map for a scenario somewhat similar to this earlier (though it had Giuliani entering and breaking Romney's base).

Again, unlikely but not entirely impossible.
Jacobtm

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 01:56:15 PM »

Paul v. Romney is a Romney win.

Paul says mean things about Reagan.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 02:21:22 PM »

The easiest way for Mitt Romney to win over Republicans who don't like him is to offer Ron Paul as the only other option.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 03:28:02 PM »

The portion of Republicans who would never vote for Romney is significantly higher than the portion of Republicans who would never vote for Paul.

Republicans who aren't voting for Paul generally do so either because "I like a lot of his views, but he can't win the nomination so I'll vote for someone like Cain/Perry/etc who can win" or "I like a lot of his views but his foreign policy positions are crazy", both of which he can generally get past with a bit of work.

Republicans who aren't voting Romney have seen him painted as the "frontrunner" by the media, so his problem isn't people who like him but think he can't win, its that he is viewed as a flip flopper, a person without much principle, etc etc etc. Paul can improve on his numbers just by appearing to be doing well and standing as an anti-Romney candidate; Romney can't improve on his numbers short of endorsements from every other candidate followed by declarations of "Romney is already the nominee".
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies