Spain's stolen children
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:17:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Spain's stolen children
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Spain's stolen children  (Read 937 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2011, 09:10:26 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15335899

Spanish society has been shaken by allegations of the theft and trafficking of thousands of babies by nuns, priests and doctors, which started under Franco and continued up to the 1990s.

In 1971 Manoli, who was 23 at the time and not long married, gave birth to what she was told was a healthy baby boy, but he was immediately taken away for what were called routine tests.

Nine interminable hours passed. "Then, a nun, who was also a nurse, coldly informed me that my baby had died," she says.

They would not let her have her son's body, nor would they tell her when the funeral would be.

Did she not think to question the hospital staff?

"Doctors, nuns?" she says, almost in horror. "I couldn't accuse them of lying. This was Franco's Spain. A dictatorship. Even now we Spaniards tend not to question authority."

The scale of the baby trafficking was unknown until this year, when two men - Antonio Barroso and Juan Luis Moreno, childhood friends from a seaside town near Barcelona - discovered that they had been bought from a nun. Their parents weren't their real parents, and their life had been built on a lie

After months of requests from the BBC, the Spanish government finally put forward Angel Nunez from the justice ministry to talk to me about Spain's stolen children.

Asked if babies were stolen, Mr Nunez replied: "Without a doubt".

"How many?" I asked.

"I don't dare to come up with figures," he answered carefully. "But from the volume of official investigations I dare to say there were many."

Lawyers believe that up to 300,000 babies were taken.

The practice of removing children from parents deemed "undesirable" and placing them with "approved" families, began in the 1930s under the dictator General Francisco Franco.

At that time, the motivation may have been ideological. But years later, it seemed to change - babies began to be taken from parents considered morally - or economically - deficient. It became a money-spinner, too.

The scandal is closely linked to the Catholic Church, which under Franco assumed a prominent role in Spain's social services including hospitals, schools and children's homes."

---------

Sickening.

Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 01:10:11 PM »

Stolen babies, yep, here we are all too familiar with that.

disgusting, obviously.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 03:11:59 PM »

Sickening story. Franco, Pinochet, Salazar, these people are often ignored in history..Hitler wasnt the only monster in world history.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »

Sickening story. Franco, Pinochet, Salazar, these people are often ignored in history..Hitler wasnt the only monster in world history.

The Republican Party doesn't ignore Pinochet!

In fact they openly praise him.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 11:22:28 PM »

Never miss an oppurtunity!
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 03:28:28 AM »

The only Republicans I've heard praising Pinochet are ones with connections to Nixon.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies