Anti-Catholic bigotry seems to be back...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:18:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Anti-Catholic bigotry seems to be back...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Anti-Catholic bigotry seems to be back...  (Read 7671 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2004, 12:15:51 PM »

My biggest problem with the Catholic Church (outside the women priests issue) is the Pope said you can't be a Communist and Catholic.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2004, 12:31:31 PM »

My biggest problem with the Catholic Church (outside the women priests issue) is the Pope said you can't be a Communist and Catholic.

I believe Marx also said that. :roll
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2004, 12:39:31 PM »

That was kind of a joke.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2004, 02:39:39 PM »

The Episcopal Church is basically "Catholic Lite" so I know that they don't discriminate, much.  Acctually, there is no cross over process for Episcopal preists converting to Catholism either.

There are several sects of Presbyterianism and dozens of other Calvinist groups that still regard the Pope as being the anti-Christ.  I know, we have that exact problem in my area.

Even if they don't openly discriminate, many Protestant Churches and many Protestants believe all sorts of F-ed up things about Catholics and the Church.

Example, just read what Bono has to say.

In all fairness, I've known a number of Catholics who feel that the difference between priests and Protestant clergy is that the Protestants can marry.  Yet, in some cases, e.g. Episcopal Priests converting, that can stay married, and have kids too.

The concept of Holy Orders doesn't really exist in most Protestant Churches, Anglican Communion, and the Lutherean Church of Sweden being exceptions.  I obviously believe in it or I wouldn't have converted.

Now, if you're asserting that "individuals" within Protestant  churches, and that some Protestant sects are anti-Catholic, sure.  So are some individual Catholics, and some groups within the church (including some that don't think the is "Catholic enough").
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2004, 02:57:37 PM »

AHHHH HELP HELP AN 88 YEAR OLD POLISH MAN IS CHASING ME HEEELLLLLLP!

That's not funny at all. Troll.

I'm reminded of a story told about John XXII, which I believe is true.  Soon after becoming Pope he was riding in a procession, and noticed that members of the Swiss Guard were holding back the crowd.

He ask, "Why are the guards holding back the crowd?"

The official sitting next to him said, "Your Holiness, it's for security."

John XXIII looked at the official and said, "I wasn't going to hurt them."

That's a nice way of saying, "Lighten up a bit."  Nobody who was familiar with John Paul II seriously feels that he could possibly be a physical threat.  Nobody who knows his beliefs could possibly think that he would harm anyone.  Beyond being the Pope, very few would not claim that the man born Karol Wojtyla is a good man.

And for the record, I'm not Catholic.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2004, 03:13:00 PM »

AHHHH HELP HELP AN 88 YEAR OLD POLISH MAN IS CHASING ME HEEELLLLLLP!

That's not funny at all. Troll.
i am a troll now eh? i do think hes an 88 yr old polish man no?

Try checking up on the facts, pal. The Pope is 84.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2004, 03:57:58 PM »

Okay TJN2024 I don't really care if your joking I really don't want you to call me or anyone else a papist. When somebody said a couple of posts back that calling a Catholic a papist is like calling a black person a n*gger. It is a horrible derogatory word. Please stop alright. I guess your from the same crowd that believes the Pope is the anti-Christ.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2004, 05:32:25 PM »

Papist is a derisive term meaning "Roman Catholic". It was used during the English Reformation to indicate one who believed in Papal supremacy over the Anglican Church. Over time, as the political nature of the struggle between Protestants and Catholics became heated, it became a pejorative for Roman Catholics. The word ultimately derives from Latin papa, meaning "Pope".

While considered offensive in contemporary speech, it was a word in ordinary use until the mid-nineteenth century; it occurs frequently in Macaulay's History of England from the Accession of James II, and in other historical or controversial works from that period. It is also a legal term that defines ineligibility for the throne under the current law of the United Kingdom. Under the Act of Settlement enacted in 1701, no "Papist," nor anyone who marries a "Papist," may succeed to the throne of the United Kingdom.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2004, 05:42:08 PM »

Stephen Twigg should have got the job. He's gay. They would no doubt have smeared him too.
GLOBAL DICTATOR
Rookie

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2004, 07:10:29 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4117449.stm

Disgusting. Thinly disguised bigotry masked by a Goddamned wedge issue.
Brilliant.
Just what British politics needs...

They did that with Clarence Thomas.  "He was educated by nuns, so he's anti-abortion and religious nutjob," was the implied attack.

and they were right.

I don't see the problem here, she opposes stem cell research, keep her out.

I also don't see how anti-Catholic bigotry can exist, I think it's natural to have a very low opinion of a church that considers me and all other Protestants to be heretics.
Pope John Paul II has reached out to the Protestants since his reign began in 78'. He's reached out to other Faiths as well. I greatly admire the work that PJPII has done.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies