Mitten's likely to be GOP nominee according to The New Yorker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:20:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitten's likely to be GOP nominee according to The New Yorker
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mitten's likely to be GOP nominee according to The New Yorker  (Read 1816 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »

according to the magazine The New Yorker, Mitten's is likely to be the Republican nominee for a variety of key reasons explained in the article.

Here the link, let's discuss.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2011/10/the-romney-formula.html

I think they are right, I can't see the GOP establishment wanting to see this race go to waste on a national scale
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:34:25 PM »

glad we got that settled...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 01:37:37 PM »

Isn't it?  Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 10:22:58 PM »

"The others:  Choose your condescending analogy: the seven dwarfs, Lilliputians, the Cantina scene from Star Wars..."

I guess that makes Romney Snow White, Gulliver, or possibly Han Solo. 

The Eastern Time Zone GOP establishment are really pushing Romney.  I posted in one of jmfcst's threads about him last Friday after watching David Brooks and Mark Shields on PBS Newshour.  Shields and Brooks explained it as the primary season is the time for the leather jacket guy.  We want excitement, but in the end we'd go with Romney.  I watched him again tonight, and again Brooks was going on about how we'd come around to Romney within the next few months, after we'd flirted with all the leather jacket guys.

I'm not saying that I don't like Romney, but who do you think has his finger on the pulse of the GOP, this guy:

or jmfcst?

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 10:33:29 PM »

hehe i get my 10 grand soon as it's confirmed he's the nominee. i bet a friend, he swore that christian wouldn't nominate a mormon and bet me . when will they confirm mitt romney will be the nominee?
Not until July. Where do you come up with this bulls*t about the GOP refusing to nominate a Christian? Mormons ARE Christian.
wilji1090
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 10:36:02 PM »

I have to agree with this, I don't see my governor gaining traction with all the crap they've flung against him. Personally, I wish Texas had a recall election because I feel Governor Perry isn't the best thing for my state.

Michelle Bachmann won't exactly gain much support while Herman Cain would ruin the GOP's Southern Strategy, the same reason why General Powell wouldn't have been able to do much in the south had he run in '96.

Jon Huntsman seems to be doing what Reagan did in '76, distinguishing himself as different from his party with the full knowledge he won't win. Likely he'll run in 2016 provided President Obama's re-elected.

Now...Romney getting the nomination is sketchy at best. If he gets it, then there's going to be a lot of in fighting with the Tea Party, which might give us a 1912 Woodrow Wilson-esque victory for President Obama.

Personally I dunno, but Romney is the likely choice.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 10:38:28 PM »

To slightly paraphrase Thatcher, there is no viable alternative. Bachmann's on life support, 9-9-9 is getting lots of flak and Perry is fading. The South (VA, NC, LA among others) and Iowa are up for grabs.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 10:45:11 PM »

hehe i get my 10 grand soon as it's confirmed he's the nominee. i bet a friend, he swore that christian wouldn't nominate a mormon and bet me . when will they confirm mitt romney will be the nominee?
Not until July. Where do you come up with this bulls*t about the GOP refusing to nominate a Christian? Mormons ARE Christian.

You think that's the source of the 25% ceiling?  I know that there's that influential Dallas minister who claims that Mormonism is a "fourth Abrahamic religion" and that there are probably others like him, but I don't get the vibe that it's his religion that rules him out.  I get the impression that it might be more policy-oriented.  It's about judicial appointments, and domestic social policy, and that sort of thing, and that there's a stink on Romney that the movement conservative perceives.  I don't smell it, but then I'm not a fire-breathing traditionalist, but those who do smell it are smelling the stench of his Massachusetts governance record, and not the stench of mormonism.

Tune in to Charlie Rose right now.  They're discussing this.  (Rose is absent and Bill Press is doing his show, but it's still interesting.)  They're also saying that it isn't just the GOP, but that the general election crowd doesn't vote for Romney over Obama, and it seems to have less to do with his religion than the fact that he comes across as a bit too slick for many voters in swing states.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »

In other news, fire is hot!
wilji1090
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 10:57:01 PM »

And fish live in water Cheesy
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 10:42:57 AM »

I agree with this article.  Romney is going to be the GOP nominee for the same reason that President Obama will likely beat him next November and win a second term -lack of viable alternatives. 
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 11:05:12 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Spot on.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 11:11:07 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Spot on.
Not really. The 3 factions are in order from biggest to smallest: Establishment (Romney), Tea Party/Neocon (Cain, Perry, Bachmann), and Libertarian/Tea Party (Paul, Newt)
milhouse24
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 11:39:57 AM »

I think non-Christians would call Mormons Christian because they don't know anything about Christianity.
Mormons could call themselves Christians since they believe in the New Testament.

But Evangelical Christians call Mormons Mormons and Mormonism a radical religion because the Book of Mormon is a radical addition to the New Testament. 

Christians would not call themselves Jewish just because they also believe in the Old Testament, and Jews would probably take it as an insult if Christians called themselves Jews.
Link
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 11:53:18 AM »

I'm not saying that I don't like Romney, but who do you think has his finger on the pulse of the GOP, this guy:

Either him or Cain... or Marie Antoinette.
Link
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 12:03:35 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2011, 12:05:35 PM by Link »

I think non-Christians would call Mormons Christian because they don't know anything about Christianity.
Mormons could call themselves Christians since they believe in the New Testament.

But Evangelical Christians call Mormons Mormons and Mormonism a radical religion because the Book of Mormon is a radical addition to the New Testament.  

Christians would not call themselves Jewish just because they also believe in the Old Testament, and Jews would probably take it as an insult if Christians called themselves Jews.

Really?  So what do you think about the "extra" books Catholics have in their Bible?
SufferedMore ThanJesus
sofaken30
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 12:55:34 PM »

At this point, Romney is likely to be the GOP nominee and is likely to defeat Obama in the general.  Both over 90% probability.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 12:58:23 PM »

At this point, Romney is likely to be the GOP nominee and is likely to defeat Obama in the general.  Both over 90% probability.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 01:02:29 PM »

Either him or Cain... or Marie Antoinette.

Ha.  "Can't afford bread?  Let them eat pizza!"

Obviously next summer is a long way off.  Still, it's intriguing that after four commanding performances in intraparty debates, Romney can't break 30% among likely primary voters.
SufferedMore ThanJesus
sofaken30
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 01:15:50 PM »

Obviously next summer is a long way off.  Still, it's intriguing that after four commanding performances in intraparty debates, Romney can't break 30% among likely primary voters.

The reason is because people have not been exposed to Mitt.  He's actually keeping an extrmeley low profile, and only speaking to small audiences and very very very small town hall meetings.   He is allowing the other GOP candidate to implode and is using smart strategy.

I guarantee, once you get to know Mitt, you will LOVE Mitt.   Once he is allowed to spread his wings and "Lift off" and like a precious Christmas gift he will be unraveled before America's eyes, the American people will be mighty impressed with his amazing good looks, his moral values of never drinking or smoking, and his record of being a handsome business man.  His supposed "flip flops" will be negated by Obama's flip-flops, so that will not be an issue at all. 
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 02:19:46 PM »

The reason is because people have not been exposed to Mitt.  He's actually keeping an extrmeley low profile, and only speaking to small audiences and very very very small town hall meetings.   He is allowing the other GOP candidate to implode and is using smart strategy.

I guarantee, once you get to know Mitt, you will LOVE Mitt.   Once he is allowed to spread his wings and "Lift off" and like a precious Christmas gift he will be unraveled before America's eyes, the American people will be mighty impressed with his amazing good looks, his moral values of never drinking or smoking, and his record of being a handsome business man.  His supposed "flip flops" will be negated by Obama's flip-flops, so that will not be an issue at all. 

To be honest, I prefer Ron Paul's sexier, naturally fuller eyebrows.  Nothing about them could possibly lose my vote.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 02:29:31 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2011, 02:31:35 PM by Politico »

Obviously next summer is a long way off.  Still, it's intriguing that after four commanding performances in intraparty debates, Romney can't break 30% among likely primary voters.

The reason is because people have not been exposed to Mitt.  He's actually keeping an extrmeley low profile, and only speaking to small audiences and very very very small town hall meetings.   He is allowing the other GOP candidate to implode and is using smart strategy.

I guarantee, once you get to know Mitt, you will LOVE Mitt.   Once he is allowed to spread his wings and "Lift off" and like a precious Christmas gift he will be unraveled before America's eyes, the American people will be mighty impressed with his amazing good looks, his moral values of never drinking or smoking, and his record of being a handsome business man.  His supposed "flip flops" will be negated by Obama's flip-flops, so that will not be an issue at all.  

And with articulate, successful minorities like Rubio, Cain, Jindal, etc. going around the urban areas of most every big state, including California, espousing the great qualities of Romney, expect a decisive win for Romney. Throw in another recession, and it's not going to be surprising if Romney wins a landslide with over 400 EVs.

Obama is FINISHED.
SufferedMore ThanJesus
sofaken30
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »

And with articulate, successful minorities like Rubio, Cain, Jindal, etc. going around the urban areas of most every big state, including California, espousing the great qualities of Romney, expect a decisive win for Romney. Throw in another recession, and it's not going to be surprising if Romney wins a landslide with over 400 EVs.

Obama is FINISHED.

Agreed 1000%   Romney/Rubio is an unbeatable ticket.  They make eachother shine like good-looking diamonds.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 05:12:36 PM »

I guarantee, once you get to know Mitt, you will LOVE Mitt.  

I know Mitt.  Met him, shook his hand, asked him a question, got a stock answer.  Met his old lady a few months later.  Ann.  She's long.  I reckon 69 or 70 inches at least.  Smooth talker as well.  Mitt'n'Ann camped out here four years ago.  All summer, seems like.  My mailbox was frequently stuffed with reminders to "come on out" and meet him.  They haven't been around much this time, though.  Low profile, like you say.

I can't say I have a raging hard-on for Mitt Romney--My first love is my true love, and my heart still belongs to Doctor, and the love he spreads envelops me.  Can you feel it?--but I'll probably vote for Romney in the general election if he wins the nomination.  My neighbors probably will as well.  I live deep in the heart of Romney country.  It's pretty white-collar on my street.  Not so many Hillary or Huckabee signs here, as I recall from the summer of '07.  Not many signs at all, really, except for the giant RON PAUL signs.  This isn't really a yardsign sort of neighborhood.  But the Republicans in my precinct were Romney supporters and the Democrats went for Obama.  In fact, my precinct went for Romney by a long shot.  The caucus isn't for the feint-hearted.  Mine was county-wide.  This county has about 130 thousand people.  Huge by Iowa standards.  Third most populous, I think, and it was a five-hour ordeal, and there's absolutely no secrecy, so you know exactly who voted for whom.  And you can bet that the Romney people were pressuring us to switch to Romney once we broke off into our precinct groups of 20 or so.  In the end my precinct went 14 for Romney, 2 four Paul, 2 for Huckabee, and the remainder for neo-Nazis, bible thumpers, and various other minor GOP candidates that you never hear about.    

I ended up voting for Obama in November 2008, after deciding that I couldn't stomach McCain--F'ing New Hampshire!  You can blame us for Obama, but you better damned sure blame them for McCain.  We didn't have anything to do with that.  Many other swing voters voted for Obama as well, but I don't think so many of us have been impressed with him that we'll do it again.  

Anyway, I think that Mitt Romney stands a fair chance against Obama.  But he has to get to the nomination first.  That's the harder contest for him, I'd imagine.  
Link
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »

They make eachother shine like good-looking diamonds.

Once he is allowed to spread his wings and "Lift off" and like a precious Christmas gift he will be unraveled before America's eyes, the American people will be mighty impressed with his amazing good looks, his moral values of never drinking or smoking, and his record of being a handsome business man.

Welcome to the forum.  What's with the similes?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies