Official Discussion Thread for Tonight's GOP Presidential Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 07:24:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Official Discussion Thread for Tonight's GOP Presidential Debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21
Author Topic: Official Discussion Thread for Tonight's GOP Presidential Debate  (Read 31123 times)
Wonkish1

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: October 11, 2011, 08:59:13 PM »

Best Debate of the Year Not Even Close.

Now maybe you guys can help me by brainstorming the best way for Fox and CNN to get the message that 1 minute answers suck and candidates are capable of asking each other questions.

It took the little network Bloomberg to just destroy the model of all the other major networks.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #451 on: October 11, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »

Interview with Cain now:

40 seconds, 4 "9 9 9".
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #452 on: October 11, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »

Best Debate of the Year Not Even Close.

Now maybe you guys can help me by brainstorming the best way for Fox and CNN to get the message that 1 minute answers suck and candidates are capable of asking each other questions.

It took the little network Bloomberg to just destroy the model of all the other major networks.

Agreed. Would have preferred podiums, but the format worked very well otherwise.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #453 on: October 11, 2011, 09:02:10 PM »

I didn't watch it, but according to someone I know who did...

Romney: campaign has shot up
Perry: campaign has died
Bachmann: same spot as Perry
Others: roughly in same spot as before

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #454 on: October 11, 2011, 09:04:10 PM »

Questions dodged.

Jokes made.

Some were even funny.

Nine.  Nine.  Nine.

Oh, and Ron Paul cut into your boy Herman Cain.  (You understand that I'd call him "your boy" regardless of his ethnicity.  Just want to clear that up before someone starts a thread about it.)  

But overall, the candidates were all more impressive than they had been in the past.  Maybe it was the format.  Or the fact that it was run by a PBS talking head instead of a Fox or CNN one.  
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #455 on: October 11, 2011, 09:04:36 PM »

Romney: A+
Gingrich: B
Cain: C
Bachmann: C-
Santorum: D+
Huntsman: D
Paul: D-
Perry: F

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #456 on: October 11, 2011, 09:05:19 PM »

i love the cute lady and the old man who looks like Royal Tennanbaum doing the post-debate show
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #457 on: October 11, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »

So do you like Romney.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #458 on: October 11, 2011, 09:06:20 PM »

i love the cute lady and the old man who looks like Royal Tennanbaum doing the post-debate show

Political Scientists dress like that.
Wonkish1

« Reply #459 on: October 11, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »

This is almost dead on!
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #460 on: October 11, 2011, 09:08:07 PM »

I didn't watch it, but according to someone I know who did...

Romney: campaign has shot up
Perry: campaign has died
Bachmann: same spot as Perry
Others: roughly in same spot as before

Paul: going up
Romney: shows how formittible he is
Cain: stabilized at third behind Paul and Romney

Perry: thanks for playing. Now go back to Texas and cut taxes
Bachamann: nice way to smack Cain
Gingrich, Huntsman, Santorum: where were you guys
M

« Reply #461 on: October 11, 2011, 09:08:34 PM »

She is pretty cute, but she's no Julianna.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #462 on: October 11, 2011, 09:10:42 PM »

Oh, and Ron Paul cut into your boy Herman Cain.  (You understand that I'd call him "your boy" regardless of his ethnicity.  Just want to clear that up before someone starts a thread about it.)  

izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #463 on: October 11, 2011, 09:11:14 PM »

I skipped the watch party and hung out with my dad instead to watch it.

My reaction is:

Bachmann was the first to hit the 'totally full of crap' limit with claiming 75% taxes could be in people's future.
Everyone likes asking Romney questions, which makes Romney look better as he gets to talk more.
Newt was very bored.
Huntsman is trying to figure out if he wants to keep up with playing to the crazy crowd or destroy Romney... either option won't work so he's trying both.
Cain doesn't understand economics or government.
Newt understands government but no one cares.
Paul likes to front load his question the most.
Paul also needed a tin foil hat.
Perry who?
Santorum likes gas.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #464 on: October 11, 2011, 09:14:11 PM »

Bachmann is STILL talking about the Iowa straw poll...
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #465 on: October 11, 2011, 09:14:25 PM »

Romney: A-.  Co-winner of the debate.  Did well, especially in playing to the establishment audience.  This economic debate was his home turf, so to speak, and he had ready, complex responses to everything.  Extra credit: for really the first time, he spent a lot of time talking, and for the first time I am pretty sure he would beat Obama in the debates.

Cain: A-.  Co-winner of the debate.  Survived attacks much better than Perry or Bachmann did- I don’t really see any reason for him to lose standing in the polls.  Some confusing answers (secret economic advisors, secret Fed chairman nominees) but it will all play well in Iowa.  Also, I don't think he terrified the establishment.

Perry: B.  His best debate thus far, easily.  If he had done this well in other debates he would probably still be the frontrunner.  Trying to, like Cain, build his economic message around a single issue (energy exploration).  But didn't participate and didn’t gain any ground- just didn’t lose any.

Paul: B-.  Didn’t get much time here.  And when he did, it was all Federal Reserve, gold standard, the usual.  Many of the other Republicans have moved into these policy spaces.

Bachmann: B-.  Again, much much less effective when she is not attacking.

Gingrich: B.  Energetic, as usual.  Wonky with sound bites, as usual.  Faded away in the second half a bit.

Huntsman: B-.  Again, no flash, didn’t stand out except to the people who already like him.  A lot of unnecessary moderation, especially on China.

Santorum: B+.  Not a lot of time, again.  But when he spoke, it seemed like conservatives should like what he’s saying- I still don’t see why conservatives aren’t giving him more attention.

Charlie Rose/Bloomberg: A-.  Co-winner of the debate (hey, it's Dartmouth, we can have some grade inflation).  Needs no explanation.
Wonkish1

« Reply #466 on: October 11, 2011, 09:17:48 PM »

Romney: A-.  Co-winner of the debate.  Did well, especially in playing to the establishment audience.  This economic debate was his home turf, so to speak, and he had ready, complex responses to everything.  Extra credit: for really the first time, he spent a lot of time talking, and for the first time I am pretty sure he would beat Obama in the debates.

Cain: A-.  Co-winner of the debate.  Survived attacks much better than Perry or Bachmann did- I don’t really see any reason for him to lose standing in the polls.  Some confusing answers (secret economic advisors, secret Fed chairman nominees) but it will all play well in Iowa.  Also, I don't think he terrified the establishment.

Perry: B.  His best debate thus far, easily.  If he had done this well in other debates he would probably still be the frontrunner.  Trying to, like Cain, build his economic message around a single issue (energy exploration).  But didn't participate and didn’t gain any ground- just didn’t lose any.

Paul: B-.  Didn’t get much time here.  And when he did, it was all Federal Reserve, gold standard, the usual.  Many of the other Republicans have moved into these policy spaces.

Gingrich: B.  Energetic, as usual.  Wonky with sound bites, as usual.  Faded away in the second half a bit.

Huntsman: B-.  Again, no flash, didn’t stand out except to the people who already like him.  A lot of unnecessary moderation, especially on China.

Santorum: B+.  Not a lot of time, again.  But when he spoke, it seemed like conservatives should like what he’s saying- I still don’t see why conservatives aren’t giving him more attention.

Charlie Rose/Bloomberg: A-.  Co-winner of the debate (hey, it's Dartmouth, we can have some grade inflation).  Needs no explanation.

Not bad!!
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #467 on: October 11, 2011, 09:19:16 PM »

Perhaps my favorite part was how shocked/happy Huntsman looked when people laughed at his Cain joke.
M

« Reply #468 on: October 11, 2011, 09:19:49 PM »

Not bad!!

Agreed, good analysis! Maybe just a bissel generous for my tastes, but certainly better than anything I'll read on RCP tomorrow morning.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #469 on: October 11, 2011, 09:23:05 PM »

So it's gonna be Romney.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #470 on: October 11, 2011, 09:23:45 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MLry6Cn_D4
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #471 on: October 11, 2011, 09:24:24 PM »

Don't even talk about grade deflation...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #472 on: October 11, 2011, 09:24:42 PM »

They just "fact checked" the 999 plan, and said it comes up with "only" 2 Trillion. only 200 Billion less than current revenue? that's a lot closer to target than I thought.
Wonkish1

« Reply #473 on: October 11, 2011, 09:26:13 PM »

Bloomberg has a great debate, but before and now after its just, "We're going to attack the GOP candidates at every chance we can."

How anybody can't see obvious bias at this $hit is just unbelievable.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #474 on: October 11, 2011, 09:29:02 PM »

They just "fact checked" the 999 plan, and said it comes up with "only" 2 Trillion. only 200 Billion less than current revenue? that's a lot closer to target than I thought.

The "fact checking" on that was some of the laziest reporting I have ever seen.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies