SENATE BILL: Cabinet Flexibility Amendment (sent to regions)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:05:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Cabinet Flexibility Amendment (sent to regions)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Cabinet Flexibility Amendment (sent to regions)  (Read 5452 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 01:27:29 AM »

The amendment has passed 6-3.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 07:43:37 PM »

If I may intercede for a moment.  I do hope someone makes sure the VP can't serve as GM, as well as fix the English in that current amendment.  The lack of "in a cabinet post." is killing me Tongue

Okay, just for you I'll introduce:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2011, 07:47:13 PM »

If I may intercede for a moment.  I do hope someone makes sure the VP can't serve as GM, as well as fix the English in that current amendment.  The lack of "in a cabinet post." is killing me Tongue

Okay, just for you I'll introduce:

Go figure, someone listened.  I'll just sign off on that bank transfer first thing tomorrow morning [Thanks, really] Wink
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to the above amendment.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 02:08:10 AM »

The amendment has passed.

I am bringing this to a final vote! Please vote aye, nay, or abstain.

Aye
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 03:15:26 AM »

Aye
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 05:09:22 AM »

Aye
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 12:44:29 PM »

Nay

I favor allowing cabinet members to hold multiple offices, but I think the VP should simply take over for the President when he is away.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 01:47:02 PM »

Nay

I favor allowing cabinet members to hold multiple offices, but I think the VP should simply take over for the President when he is away.

Because of your stance on Vice Presidency reform, I'm not going to preference you at all now Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 01:49:40 PM »

Nay

Because of your stance on Vice Presidency reform, I'm not going to preference you at all now Tongue

That's OK. I'm not molding my positions to fit anyone else's opinion. It's not like my stance on the issue is a secret, and your third preference wouldn't have made any difference anyway. Wink

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »

Nay

That's OK. I'm not molding my positions to fit anyone else's opinion. It's not like my stance on the issue is a secret, and your third preference wouldn't have made any difference anyway. Wink

Would be just a gesture, just as not preferencing you.

(I hope you lose, because you're good Senator, despite your horrible anti-reform stance Wink)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 02:47:02 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2011, 02:49:01 PM by Senator Duke »

My days in the Senate are numbered. Old Duke can't stay forever. I'll be replaced by new blood in the months ahead for sure!

The sun will set on my time and rise with a new, hungrier senator!
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 02:52:34 PM »

Nay

Would be just a gesture, just as not preferencing you.

(I hope you lose, because you're good Senator, despite your horrible anti-reform stance Wink)

No love for the VP, huh?  Sad
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 01:50:11 AM »

For the record, the GM is not, and never has been, a cabinet position.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 06:58:40 AM »

Aye
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2011, 02:50:22 PM »

Aye
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2011, 04:05:52 PM »

Current tally is 5-1.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 04:31:20 PM »

I think there's the potential for confusing issues to arise when a Vice President that's also a cabinet member becomes Acting President. For example, when I was Acting President last month and we had a cabinet vacancy in the Secretary of the Interior's office, could I as Acting President have appointed myself as Vice President to also serve as Attorney General? Or, say, if Polnut had previously appointed me SOIA, would I have been able to continue serving in that cabinet post as President, including that office's sub-GM powers?

Also, I'm a bit confused by the wording here. Do prospective nominees for multiple cabinet offices still need to be confirmed for each office seperately, or would there be a single confirmation hearing for, say, the "SOIA/AG nominee"? Also, given the difference between saying that cabinet members "may serve multiple cabinet posts" and saying that the Vice President "shall be allowed to serve in a cabinet post" implies that the VP wouldn't need Senate confirmation; was this the intent here?

Also, the phrase, "may serve multiple cabinet posts" means that, hypothetically, a single Atlasian could serve in every single cabinet office, no? And since this bill allows the VP to be a member of the cabinet, doesn't that mean the VP could serve in multiple cabinet job as well- even all of them at once? So, hypothetically, we could have a Vice President who holds every office simultaneously. Then, if that person has to become Acting President, they'd literally be a one-man executive branch.

I agree with the spirit of this bill, however in its present form I believe this legislation is too vague for Senate passage.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »

Eh, minor details. Besides we're already at a final vote. Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2011, 04:46:59 PM »

Eh, minor details. Besides we're already at a final vote. Tongue

Well, the newly-passed OSPR amendment does give you or I the power to stop the final vote for "special situations" such as this. I'll leave that call to you, however, as I don't want to be unilaterally forcing the consideration of my observations on everone, especially when nobody else has voiced concern or requested to stop the vote.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »

Clarity would be nice we've been an epic fail when it comes to amendments lately.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2011, 05:01:31 PM »

Fine, fine. I suppose being careful can't hurt. I'm stopping the final vote.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2011, 05:07:13 PM »

So, BK, would you like to write the amendments to fix this? (I'll sponsor them for you) Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2011, 05:16:55 PM »

Sure, but it depends on what all everyone wants to fix Tongue

Should the VP be limited to only one cabinet post? Should others be limited to only two or allowed to serve in 3+ roles? And, each nominee should be confirmed for each position seperately, including the VP, yes?

Also, what should happen when a Cabinet-VP becomes Acting President? I don't like the idea of the President serving as a member of the Cabinet directly; the best suggestion I have is that the Acting President can designate an "Acting Secretary" to run his department while he's filling in, but I'm certainly open to other suggestions.

Also, and I just thought about this, but how exactly would the Presidential Succession Laws fit into all this? Would it even matter? Regardless, that'd be a seperate bill though, because that's just a change of statute and not a Constitutional amendment.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2011, 05:24:32 PM »

The President can currently temporarily delegate a certain cabinet's responsibility to another member of the executive... including himself, which I did when I was President and opened the voting booth. I think tmth also did this (lol). So if the Acting President was also serving a cabinet post, it wouldn't be that radically different from what is presently legal.

I don't really like the VP being able to serve in a cabinet post (I voted against that amendment) but I'm willing to accept it as a compromise.

Anyway, I would prefer the following details be specifically included in the amendment:
-Clarify that the GM can not serve any other position.
-You can only serve multiple Cabinet positions, not in addition to any other office (other than VP).
-I would prefer we limit the VP to one cabinet post, but again, adding the VP to the mix wasn't my idea and not something I supported, so I don't particularly care about this aspect. Maybe Kalwejt has an opinion.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies