Anyone want to rent from me a two bedroom pad in LA in the midst of the action?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:26:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Anyone want to rent from me a two bedroom pad in LA in the midst of the action?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Anyone want to rent from me a two bedroom pad in LA in the midst of the action?  (Read 2099 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2011, 07:22:30 PM »

It's available. Smiley
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »

Torie, great place. The decorating and landscaping is top notch.

My concern with this and many Craigslist ads is that you are doing a lot of potential thieves leg work for them. Like there is an address and when the place will be presumably vacant, unless your manager will be occupying.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 08:06:03 PM »

My concern with this and many Craigslist ads is that you are doing a lot of potential thieves leg work for them. Like there is an address and when the place will be presumably vacant, unless your manager will be occupying.

That is why God invented insurance. If I worried about such things, I would go insane. Thanks for the comments. It is a grand place. Some young guy or couple who has landed a well paying job in Hollywood usually rents the place - and stays until like the couple decamping, they buy a home.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 08:06:17 PM »

Random question, Torie. How much do you think a single family home, about 1,900-2,000 sq feet, in a place like Laguna Niguel or Mission Viejo rent for? Less than this place?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 08:24:22 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2011, 08:26:13 PM by Torie »

Random question, Torie. How much do you think a single family home, about 1,900-2,000 sq feet, in a place like Laguna Niguel or Mission Viejo rent for? Less than this place?

Yes, probably $2,000 to $2,500 I would guess, unless well, it has little amenities like my little pad does - you know the view, the pool, the spa, the single loaded street and the like, then for that size maybe $2,750.  My home might rent for $3,500, but then it is 2,600 square feet and some interior upgrades that you have not seen, like lighting design, and hardwood floors, and molding everywhere and such. MV would be a tad cheaper than LN, maybe more than a tad unless in the chicer sections.

Nothing in either place though has what Anglos like to call charm however. You know, old and such.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 08:37:38 PM »

Thanks. I was trying to figure out rent in Socal compared to the Bay Area, specifically Pleasanton. I feel your city or MV are a good proxy.

Your place would be good for young urban professionals, I think.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »

That is why God invented insurance. If I worried about such things, I would go insane. Thanks for the comments. It is a grand place. Some young guy or couple who has landed a well paying job in Hollywood usually rents the place - and stays until like the couple decamping, they buy a home.

Ah good.  It seems you have a barrier/manager between you and potential crooks also.  Didnt mean to be too alarmist, but there are a lot of scams and robberies coming through craigslist ads.  Hopefully you get a good tenant.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 08:45:22 PM »

Thanks. I was trying to figure out rent in Socal compared to the Bay Area, specifically Pleasanton. I feel your city or MV are a good proxy.

Your place would be good for young urban professionals, I think.

That 2,100 square foot pad that I bought in Silverlake with the lake view and such, and fixed up, rents for $4,000 a month by the way. That is where I plan to get laid early and often by the young and the restless in the near future!  Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 09:59:09 PM »

Dumb question. What is it about CA/NY that makes people willing to pay these exorbitant prices for housing? Supply/demand obviously, but presumably, you're getting something for all that money. The demand has to come from somewhere. I've been to LA and New York several times, and don't see what's so amazing that would make anybody would choose to live in either given the cost.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 10:24:32 PM »

Dumb question. What is it about CA/NY that makes people willing to pay these exorbitant prices for housing? Supply/demand obviously, but presumably, you're getting something for all that money. The demand has to come from somewhere. I've been to LA and New York several times, and don't see what's so amazing that would make anybody would choose to live in either given the cost.

In the case of the pad that I am hawking, the answer is:  Hollywood!  There are a lot of high paying jobs around for talented young folks who aren't into buying a home in a hurry.  Most of my tenants have real talent come to think of it. It's a niche market.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 10:32:44 PM »

Jobs tend to be higher paying, schools at least here on Long Island tend to be among the best in the country, so quality of education is key.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 10:32:58 PM »

In the case of the pad that I am hawking, the answer is:  Hollywood!  There are a lot of high paying jobs around for talented young folks who aren't into buying a home in a hurry.  Most of my tenants have real talent come to think of it. It's a niche market.

Yup, most of the LA area you wouldn't be able to charge that much for that place. But not like it would be substantially less. And it's just so much more than the rest of the country....
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 10:34:56 PM »

Jobs tend to be higher paying, schools at least here on Long Island tend to be among the best in the country, so quality of education is key.

I bet the school district for this pad is not so good. Torie can give you a better idea. Though this sort of place isn't comparable to Long Island. That would be the places like Laguna Niguel or Mission Viejo like we were talking about earlier, or inland areas like La Canada Flintridge, Arcadia, Thousand Oaks etc.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 10:58:30 PM »

I bet the school district for this pad is not so good. Torie can give you a better idea. Though this sort of place isn't comparable to Long Island. That would be the places like Laguna Niguel or Mission Viejo like we were talking about earlier, or inland areas like La Canada Flintridge, Arcadia, Thousand Oaks etc.

No, not so good for this pad in Los Feliz. If in the John Marshall High School district, maybe about average or a bit below by national standards (in other words, basically horrible). But for the Moreno house, the elementary school there is one of the two or three best in the city, and majority Anglo, and the rest mostly Asian now, and folks fight to get in it.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 11:15:03 PM »

Moreno Valley?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 11:43:47 PM »

Meh, I'd put my public high school up against any in the country. There were many kids who went to Ivy Leagues and all that overacheiving type stuff. We even had a kid (Asian of course) who developed a new kind of mathematics while still in high school. And you don't need to spend several thousand dollars a month in rent/mortgage to live in the district, although there are plenty of properties where you can. But for that price you get a palace.  And you can be anywhere in town in 15-20 minutes. And traffic is almost always negligible. Still not all that impressed with NY/LA. I suppose if you must live there for job whatever, but I can't see why anybody would choose to live there, but apparantly, many do.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 07:56:07 AM »

It is funny that the rent on this one apartment exceeds the rent on all of my family's rental houses put together!  That is, if I remember rightly, I think we have only around five houses rented and they're only around 500-600/month.  It is hard to remember exactly, and the houses are a small part of the rental business - thank goodness!
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 08:13:41 AM »

LA? ewww
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 08:20:46 AM »

Missouri is cheap. A 1bd apartment in the Nashville area will run you about $500-600.

This is not the 1990's. Tongue Though I do agree SF is much superior. Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 08:22:44 AM »

Do quoted rates (such as this appartment) exclude all other associated expenses in the U.S.?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 08:25:56 AM »

HOA fees are sometimes paid for, sometimes not. Though I doubt this neighborhood will have one. Utilities are usually your own expense.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 08:28:54 AM »

HOA fees are sometimes paid for, sometimes not. Though I doubt this neighborhood will have one. Utilities are usually your own expense.

OK. Considering that fact and the exchange rate...I live for 7 months with all expenses included for one month's rent in Torie's place without. Cheesy

Obviously we're talking about different worlds as far as the appartment is concerned....but still wow Smiley
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 09:46:10 AM »

Living in Munich would be interesting (assuming that is where you live). My sister was there just last week for work (not Oktoberfest lol) and she liked it. Though she hated how narrow the streets were and sometimes she was confused whether the streets were for walking or driving lol. And drove at 100mph on the Autobahn...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 10:42:49 AM »

No, sbane. The one in Silverlake on Moreno Drive. Do you see me living in Moreno Valley?  Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 10:45:17 AM »

Do quoted rates (such as this appartment) exclude all other associated expenses in the U.S.?

Generally yes. The tenant pays the utilities. However, where as here the units are not separately metered for water, I pay the water bill.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies