You Cannot Win An Election With Strong Disapprovals Like This (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:45:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  You Cannot Win An Election With Strong Disapprovals Like This (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: You Cannot Win An Election With Strong Disapprovals Like This  (Read 37441 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 05, 2011, 11:18:09 AM »

I don't understand bringing up approval ratings this earlier when Reagan had low approval ratings the year before reelection.

Reagan had reached his nadir during the Fall of 1982...but by Jan 1983 (Jan 2011 for 2012 comparison) the economy was rocketing off the launch pad, the stock market having lauched it's great bull run five month earlier in August 1982.

So, by this time in the 1984 cycle, Reagan has 10 months of excelent economic growth that would continue to build for the next 13 months leading up to Nov 1984 while America's power and influence in the world was growing by leaps and bounds.

In contrast, Obama has exactly the opposite going for him...and if the trend continues for another 13 months, history hints that Obama is going to lose in 2012 by a wider margin than he won by in 2008
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:44:03 AM »

If you've seen them recently then I don't doubt their legitimacy.  Plus I just remembered that GallUp has a President approval comparison on their website and it shows exactly what you said, that Reagan (and also Clinton) were only a few points above Obama, and that is despite the poor economic conditions right now.

...and Reagan and Clinto both had strong tails winds to sustain their upward momentum...while Obama is facing galeforce head winds that are about to become hurricane force...
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 12:25:13 PM »

Which is what makes Obama's current ratings all the more impressive, people aren't expecting things to get better anytime soon and yet he is still in the 40s

are you for real or are you just trolling?!  it doesnt matter where you at in the polls 13 months before the election, what matters is the undercurrents...and those undercurrents translate into an approval rating of 30, maybe even sub 30, by election day.

there is not going to be economic growth for the next 6 months and the UE rate will be increasing....that already baked into the cake and there's not anything anyone can do about it....so, unless you're envisioning blockbuster economic growth starting in June 2012 with job gains >300k from June 2012 through Oct 2012....there is NO WAY Obama can win this election unless the GOP nominee gets caught with a live boy in his bed.

Incumbents are owned by the undercurrents because incumbents are held accountable for the prevailing conditions of the country: Reagan’s landslide, who was tied in the polls in Nov ’83, was sealed by the undercurrents that were at work 12 months prior to the election…same with Bush41’s defeat…same with Cliinton’s reelection.

So, while Obama may get a few brownie points for admitting “Americans are not better off than they were four years ago”, he still has to follow that sentence with “we've been able to make steady progress to stabilize the economy”, because Obama understands that although he will be given a pass on the first 2.5-3.0 years, he will win reelection or be defeated based on his record over the final 12 months leading up to the election.

Fair or unfair, that’s the way the cookie crumbles for incumbents of the White House.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »

I'm unemployed and recognize that the conservative way of job creating doesn't work, if it did Bush's economy would have been a lot different.

ok, now I'm a little miffed...what are you trying to convince me of, exactly?  That government policy should be liberal enough to transform wasting-time-on-an-internet-forum-discussing-politics into a meaningful career path for you?

I sincerely hope my taxes aren't paying for your 267 posts on this forum in the last 2 months, cause if so, I sure didn't get my tax money's worth.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 02:04:48 PM »

No I'm not on unemployment.  Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm not like Joe the Plumber and other conservative hypocrites

I'm getting one soon, just had a great interview a few days ago Smiley

good luck, hope you land the job....peace
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies