Santorum and Obama - Who's Next 2005
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:12:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Santorum and Obama - Who's Next 2005
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Santorum and Obama - Who's Next 2005  (Read 13423 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2004, 09:50:45 PM »

Newsweek came out with an edition titled "Who's Next 2005." Conservative Republicans get Santorum listed as "Who's Next" while the the new hero of Senate liberals Barack Obama is listed as "Who's Next" for the Dems. These two men, along with eight others, are said to "shape our world" in the next year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6733264/site/newsweek/
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 09:55:04 PM »

Good, because my world is pretty lumpy. Thankfully Senator Santorum will be fixing that.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 10:07:12 PM »

I read it today. It's interesting, it states that Santorum smoked pot in the seventies hehe...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 10:17:25 PM »

I read it today. It's interesting, it states that Santorum smoked pot in the seventies hehe...

Hmm. Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 10:18:07 PM »

it states that Santorum smoked pot in the seventies hehe...

Yeah that's too bad but atleast he admitted to it. I think most would look at Santorum, think that he would never do something like that and so he wouldn't say anything.
romeomustdie
Romeomustdie
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 11:10:42 PM »

Santorum is going to shape our world? God help us.
danwxman

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 12:04:07 AM »

Santorum is going to shape our world? God help us.

My thoughts exactly.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 03:30:23 AM »

I wouldn't worry about Rick to much...even if he survives re-election in 2006 (not a sure thing), he'll be damaged goods.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 02:56:42 PM »

I wouldn't worry about Rick to much...even if he survives re-election in 2006 (not a sure thing), he'll be damaged goods.

I like how everyone is making his 2006 race into a big deal. He's going to win it and it won't be a one or two point election either.

By the way moose, Santorum is likely to become the next Majority leader. So much for being damaged goods...
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 03:12:19 PM »

By the way moose, Santorum is likely to become the next Majority leader.

I'd call for bringing back Trent Lott Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 03:50:08 PM »

I like how everyone is making his 2006 race into a big deal.

Because he's abrasive, divisive, can't keep his Goddamned mouth shut, holds a seat in a marginal state (est. 1932) and is going to be targetted like there's no tomorrow

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If that happens the GOP can kiss goodbye a load of Senate seats in 2008
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 03:55:40 PM »

I like how everyone is making his 2006 race into a big deal.

Because he's abrasive, divisive, can't keep his Goddamned mouth shut, holds a seat in a marginal state (est. 1932) and is going to be targetted like there's no tomorrow

Yeah and you also left out the fact that the people lining up to challenge him have poor chances and the fact that Santorum is one of the most (if not, the most) popular statewide elected officials. His approval ratings are high and he has the lowest disapproval ratings. Just thought I'd let you know that you left that out. PA likes Santorum, Al. It doesn't matter that liberals on the forum dislike him. Your dislike doesn't mean his chances go down.

If that happens the GOP can kiss goodbye a load of Senate seats in 2008

I'm sure that if Howard Dean is the DNC chairman the votes for Democratic Senate candidates will just start pouring in, Al.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 04:14:41 PM »

Yeah and you also left out the fact that the people lining up to challenge him have poor chances

It's not certain who'll run against him in 2006. Wait and See.

Last I looked his approval rating was hovering around 52%. Not brilliant, not bad. If the PA Dems can get their act together he'll have a tough race in 2006 (note: I'm not saying he's a gonner. I reckon he's got a 50/50 chance of getting re-elected)

Last I heard it'll be Frost (TX) or Roemer (IN)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 04:52:57 PM »

Yeah and you also left out the fact that the people lining up to challenge him have poor chances

It's not certain who'll run against him in 2006. Wait and See.

Last I looked his approval rating was hovering around 52%. Not brilliant, not bad. If the PA Dems can get their act together he'll have a tough race in 2006 (note: I'm not saying he's a gonner. I reckon he's got a 50/50 chance of getting re-elected)

Al, name one PA Dem, aside from Casey who won't run, who could beat Santorum. Give it a long hard look and you'll realize, Hoeffel, no, Hafer, no.  Tim Holden is the only PA Dem other than Casey, who could win this election. And why would he give up his pretty safe seat in congress?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 08:05:20 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2004, 08:17:50 PM by Vice President Keystone Phil »

Al, the only PA Dem that could beat Santorum is Casey. That's it. Maybe Holden but other than that, Santorum will keep the seat. Casey has dismissed the idea of a run several times now. The Dems won't win here. However, if you'd like to take money out of VA and MO races to focus on PA, that's fine with me. All you'll be doing is wasting your money.

Last I saw he was at 54 and had the lowest disapproval numbers in the state. People like him here. The PA Dems can try to "get their act together" but the only way they win this seat, as I have stated many times (along with others) is if Casey were to run. That's NOT going to happen. His chances are much better than 50-50.

Roemer doesn't have the support and I don't see Frost getting enough support to make a difference. I'm not saying it is definetley going to be Dean but if it is, Senate and House Dems will have some tough re-election bids.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 08:08:35 PM »

*points at bullmoose*

YOU'RE BACK!
danwxman

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 08:22:31 PM »

Spector is the most popular PA politician, not Santorum.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 08:28:22 PM »

Specter wins big when Election Day comes around (except that last primary) but other than that, people don't really like him that much. Also, if you'd take a look at approval ratings, Specter has had some of the lowest approval ratings.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004, 02:35:33 AM »

Specter wins big when Election Day comes around (except that last primary) but other than that, people don't really like him that much. Also, if you'd take a look at approval ratings, Specter has had some of the lowest approval ratings.

Specter had the highest approval ratings.  He was being bashed from the primaries to the election and that did impact his approval ratings & took the attention away from Santorum's hate rants
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2004, 02:43:55 AM »

I can't help mentioning Newsweek's got a much less flattering photo of Rick up than you do, Phil.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2004, 03:04:15 PM »

Specter had the highest approval ratings.  He was being bashed from the primaries to the election and that did impact his approval ratings & took the attention away from Santorum's hate rants

The lack of attention to "Santorum's hate rants." You're a joke, Smash. Fact is Specter has the lowest approval ratings and high disapproval numbers from the latest Quinnipaic poll. Now, granted, the latest poll came out in August but that's what we're going by now because there hasn't been another one released yet.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2004, 07:27:39 AM »

The Observer did something in 1979 for quite young people they thought would make it big in Britain.

One of them was a new MP for Blackburn called Jack Straw. We all know what he's doing now.

Did it again this year.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2004, 10:45:28 AM »

If Hoeffel can do as well as Kerry, he can win. Seeing as his politics are similar, he could win. Klink lost because he couldn't rally up support. Hoeffel has the potential to do very well in the Philly suburbs. The Dems need the Philly suburbs more than the Pittsburgh area.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2004, 01:56:50 PM »

If Hoeffel can do as well as Kerry, he can win. Seeing as his politics are similar, he could win. Klink lost because he couldn't rally up support. Hoeffel has the potential to do very well in the Philly suburbs. The Dems need the Philly suburbs more than the Pittsburgh area.

The Dems can have the Philly suburbs. If Santorum can pick up his numbers just a bit in the Pittsburgh area, Santorum wins. Hoeffel win NOT have the turnout that Kerry had. Hoeffel's liberal record will be known. Joe Hoeffel vs. Rick Santorum means six more years of Santorum.

The only candidate that can beat Santorum is Casey. It looks like he's considering a run. If he does run, that's when I'll admit that the Dems will pick up the seat. Under any other circumstance, Santorum wins.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2004, 02:15:48 PM »

The Dems can have the Philly suburbs. If Santorum can pick up his numbers just a bit in the Pittsburgh area, Santorum wins. Hoeffel win NOT have the turnout that Kerry had. Hoeffel's liberal record will be known. Joe Hoeffel vs. Rick Santorum means six more years of Santorum.

The only candidate that can beat Santorum is Casey. It looks like he's considering a run. If he does run, that's when I'll admit that the Dems will pick up the seat. Under any other circumstance, Santorum wins.

Philadelphia's metro area is growing fairly quick.  A good number of these people are transplants from New York and north Jersey.  Most of these are Democratic.  Granted the city itself is declining.  Santorum is not a liked figure in Southeastern PA, which has a bulk of the population of PA.  I'll admit Santorum will pick up some of Klink's support out west though very slightly, but I think the Dems have bottomed out in that region to begin with.  He will lose drastically in the Southeast.  People will still have a grudge against Bush losing and Santorum will be the #1 target for the DSCC.  His being lock-step bosom buddy with Bush will be widely known and we will be just as energized to defeat Santorum as we were Bush.  Better hope the televangelists/RW Catholic nutjobs turn out for you guys. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies