CT: Malloy suxx, would lose to Foley in a rematch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:50:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CT: Malloy suxx, would lose to Foley in a rematch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CT: Malloy suxx, would lose to Foley in a rematch  (Read 3101 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2011, 04:19:23 PM »

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2011/09/malloy-unpopular.html#more

-Over the course of 2011 we've found that voters in a lot of states wish they could do their Gubernatorial elections from last year over again and pick someone else.  Connecticut is no exception but it does represent a twist- it's the first state where we've found serious buyer's remorse about a Democratic Governor.  52% of Connecticut voters say that if they could do it all over they'd vote for Republican Tom Foley, compared to only 41% who would stick with incumbent Dan Malloy.

That desire to elect someone else is a product of Malloy's continuing unpopularity.  Only 36% of voters approve of him to 52% disapproving. 

How the tables have turned. One wonders whether we will hear about Malloy aiding the Republican candidate in 2012.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 04:24:33 PM »

I've suggested they poll Illinois.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 04:27:47 PM »

Again, the problem with Malloy is Democrats.  Only 49% of Democrats approve of him; that's a different story from Republicans like Walker (87% approval in party) and Scott (78%).

But you probably don't care about the actual facts, so why bother?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 04:36:16 PM »

What exactly did he do to piss off his base that much?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 04:43:22 PM »

He's cutting spending and raising taxes at the same time.  It's a good way to balance the budget, but it's also a great way to piss everybody off, since people really aren't fans of either approaches, which it all boils down to.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 04:56:08 AM »

He's cutting spending and raising taxes at the same time.  It's a good way to balance the budget, but it's also a great way to piss everybody off, since people really aren't fans of either approaches, which it all boils down to.

Sounds like a good idea to me. What sort of taxes is he raising and what is he cutting?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 08:06:57 AM »

Putting aside the merits of Malloy's approach, I like the idea of someone doing what they think is right, getting the job done, and then losing. It is all too rare.  That is supposed to be the purpose of public service, but very rarely is. Sad
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 11:50:56 PM »

Over 50% would vote for the Republican in a hypothetical rematch. Great. You know Malloy has a "real problem with Democrats"/he's not liberal enough when they want to vote for the more conservative, Republican alternative!

This makes the "But Dan Malloy is unpopular, too!" meme around here even more hilarious since the GOP seems to benefit from his unpopularity (contrary to the opinion of certain hacks).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 12:11:35 AM »

How the tables have turned. One wonders whether we will hear about Malloy aiding the Republican candidate in 2012.

Of course. They won't worry about how "far right" the GOP field is. When they go in the booth to vote for President, they'll definitely be saying, "I just can't stand Dan Malloy so I'm voting for the Republican Presidential nominee."

This is going to be a hilarious topic. Note that just like the Christie approval rating topic, there's not a word from certain posters that couldn't shut up about Scott, Walker, Kasich, etc.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 12:20:33 AM »

Sounds like a good idea to me. What sort of taxes is he raising and what is he cutting?
This article and this article will give you a pretty good picture of what he's doing.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 07:02:12 AM »

Of course. They won't worry about how "far right" the GOP field is. When they go in the booth to vote for President, they'll definitely be saying, "I just can't stand Dan Malloy so I'm voting for the Republican Presidential nominee."

This is going to be a hilarious topic. Note that just like the Christie approval rating topic, there's not a word from certain posters that couldn't shut up about Scott, Walker, Kasich, etc.

Kasich, Walker, and Scott are definitely going to hurt the Republican nominee in Ohio at the margins.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 07:15:21 AM »

Kasich, Walker, and Scott are definitely going to hurt the Republican nominee in Ohio at the margins.

Walker's approval ratings are in the high 40s again so he isn't going to hurt the nominee in his state. I still refuse to buy into this nonsense that it will affect anyone's vote for President even if he was deeply unpopular. Those that would vote for President based on their feelings of Walker, Kasich, Scott, Corbett, etc. weren't going to vote for the Republican nominee anyway.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »

Those that would vote for President based on their feelings of Walker, Kasich, Scott, Corbett, etc. weren't going to vote for the Republican nominee anyway.

This couldn't be more true.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 11:42:49 AM »

Those that would vote for President based on their feelings of Walker, Kasich, Scott, Corbett, etc. weren't going to vote for the Republican nominee anyway.

This couldn't be more true.

That might be true with Walker, although I'd have to see his numbers with independents.  I never mentioned Corbett, and as has already been said comparing his situation to Kasich's, Walker's, and Scott's is extremely misleading.  However, Scott and Kasich will definitely hurt the Republican nominee with independents in their states (especially Kasich).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »

Governor's popularity or unpopularity, while sometimes overestimated as a factor, does matter in federal elections. Outside of nationwide trend back in 2006, Democrats made great gains in Ohio because of Taft.

Of course, none of these guys is as unpopular as Taft. In fact, it's hard to reach his level.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 12:15:30 AM »

Governor's popularity or unpopularity, while sometimes overestimated as a factor, does matter in federal elections. Outside of nationwide trend back in 2006, Democrats made great gains in Ohio because of Taft.

Of course, none of these guys is as unpopular as Taft. In fact, it's hard to reach his level.

Another problem: 2006 wasn't a Presidential election year. Don't make it seem like because it might matter in other federal races (Senate and House) that it matters in all of them.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 03:59:28 AM »

Another problem: 2006 wasn't a Presidential election year. Don't make it seem like because it might matter in other federal races (Senate and House) that it matters in all of them.

Actually, didn't Obama do worse in Ohio than the national average?
HST1948

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »

Yes, but at this point Taft was no longer governor, Strickland was.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 01:59:47 PM »

Yes, but at this point Taft was no longer governor, Strickland was.

I'm just saying that the effects of state governors are a little overstated.  Sure, there are some effects on national elections but not really profound enough to effect all races.  The Democrats did very well in Ohio in 2006 because Taft was a fail of a governor.  As a result Ted Strickland got elected with over 60% of the vote to the Governor's Mansion (not that it's really hard to do at all when the incumbent has like an 8f***ing% approval rating) in 2006.  By election day 2008 Strickland had been Governor for almost two years, thus it stands to reason that any remaining negative GOP momentum due to Taft was much more limited.
I'm not sure about Strickland's approvals on Election Day 2008 so I can't say for sure if it was voter unrest with the Democratic government in Ohio that led to less than national average vote percentage for the Democrats.  I'm not sure what effect voter's impression about Strickland had on the election, but Kal's giving too much credit to Taft.  Granted, an 8% approval rating is a very impressive feat but I would think it would lose it's edge after a year and a half.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 03:43:35 PM »

Malloy sucks, and is one of the reasons I moved out of Connecticut.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 06:20:04 PM »

The tax increases?
Link
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 04:40:29 AM »

One local election doesn't go your way so you leave the state?!  Mmmm... that seems a little unstable.  Maybe Malloy isn't the problem.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 06:22:17 AM »

The tax increases?

Yup. I could barely live in that state, and with the tax increases it was going to kill me. It's sadly gotten to the point that if you dont make about 70 grand a year, you just cant live in most of the state.

One local election doesn't go your way so you leave the state?!  Mmmm... that seems a little unstable.  Maybe Malloy isn't the problem.

Maybe you dont know what your talking about, and should go sit in the corner and think about what you did.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »

Ummm, the state tax increases were rather tiny overall in terms of what it takes from one's pocket, and that does seem just a tad bit of an over-reaction to a gubernatorial election.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 12:41:10 PM »

Ummm, the state tax increases were rather tiny overall in terms of what it takes from one's pocket, and that does seem just a tad bit of an over-reaction to a gubernatorial election.

It basically forced me to look outside of the state for work to survive. Jobs were limited, where I was working we were getting really slow. I wasnt about to get laid off again. I like to think I made a wise decision.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies