Romney's Running Mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:28:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney's Running Mate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Romney's Running Mate  (Read 5914 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:18:24 PM »
« edited: September 28, 2011, 11:55:56 PM by Politico »

Who do you think Romney is likely to choose from?

I think the list includes Lamar Alexander, Marco Rubio, Jim DeMint, Saxby Chambliss, Richard Burr, Jeff Sessions,  John Cornyn, Lindsey Graham and Haley Barbour. John Thune would be perfect if he were from the South, but since he is not I think he is out of the equation (Same goes for Mitch Daniels since Romney almost surely needs a southerner). Rick Perry, Newt Gingrich and Rand Paul (Ron Paul's son) are long-shots.

These are the dozen that I think are most likely. What do you think?

I also believe that choosing DeMint would probably be most effective at appeasing disgruntled southerners, social conservatives and Tea Partiers alike. Plus, if Romney guaranteed DeMint the VP slot in return for an endorsement prior to the South Carolina primary, that would probably be sufficient to end the presidential race in South Carolina. Hard to see Romney's victory in New Hampshire followed by a DeMint endorsement in South Carolina not leading to a win in South Carolina and therefore the nomination shortly thereafter.

The Romney/DeMint ticket provides ideological harmony, geographical balance, and the ticket has a nice ring to it. The candidates look like a natural fit when they stand side-by-side. By all accounts, they are good friends who also have an exceptional professional relationship (DeMint endorsed Romney in 2008, and actually convinced Romney to run back in 2007). Furthermore, DeMint is more than capable of holding his own against Biden in a debate. For these reasons, I think Romney/DeMint is probably the best choice for victory in 2012.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »

Because someone's going to say it at some point, Christie.
NCeriale
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:34:59 PM »

(1) Rubio
(2) Martinez
(3) Christie
(4) McDonnell
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 11:41:31 PM »

Marco Rubio is the only correct answer.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 11:46:43 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2011, 07:26:46 PM by Averroës Nix »

First - I don't really want to speculate about this yet, but I'm sick of threads about Herman Cain.

My thoughts - Republicans will undoubtedly appreciate the optical and symbolic advantage of putting a minority on the ballot. Jindal, who would probably be a good pick anyway, would satisfy this inclination. He's been in office long enough that his presence on the ticket won't hurt Republican messaging about Obama being unqualified and inexperienced. He's also from the South - an advantage, though I'm not convinced that it's necessary for Republicans to put a Southerner on the ticket. Furthermore, as one of Perry's earliest supporters, Jindal's presence alongside Romney will be marketed as a sign of party unity. (I still think that the early primaries are most likely be characterized as a two-candidate race between Romney and Perry.)

Less seriously, most VP candidates that we've seen over the past decade have been flawed (The only two that were not, Gore and Bush, went on to win a plurality of the popular vote when they moved to the top of the ticket).  Jindal's awful SotU response is evidence that he might fit in among Palin, Biden, Edwards, Lieberman, Cheney, Quayle, Stockdale, and Ferraro.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 12:47:26 AM »

(1) Martinez
(2) Rubio
(3) Christie
(4) Thune
(5) McDonnell
GLPman
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 01:04:25 AM »

I think the list includes Lamar Alexander, Marco Rubio, Jim DeMint, Saxby Chambliss, Richard Burr, Jeff Sessions,  John Cornyn, Lindsey Graham and Haley Barbour. John Thune would be perfect if he were from the South, but since he is not I think he is out of the equation (Same goes for Mitch Daniels since Romney almost surely needs a southerner). Rick Perry, Newt Gingrich and Rand Paul (Ron Paul's son) are long-shots.

I also believe that choosing DeMint would probably be most effective at appeasing disgruntled southerners, social conservatives and Tea Partiers alike. Plus, if Romney guaranteed DeMint the VP slot in return for an endorsement prior to the South Carolina primary, that would probably be sufficient to end the presidential race in South Carolina. Hard to see Romney's victory in New Hampshire followed by a DeMint endorsement in South Carolina not leading to a win in South Carolina and therefore the nomination shortly thereafter.

The Romney/DeMint ticket provides ideological harmony, geographical balance, and the ticket has a nice ring to it. The candidates look like a natural fit when they stand side-by-side. By all accounts, they are good friends who also have an exceptional professional relationship (DeMint endorsed Romney in 2008, and actually convinced Romney to run back in 2007). Furthermore, DeMint is more than capable of holding his own against Biden in a debate. For these reasons, I think Romney/DeMint is probably the best choice for victory in 2012.

A solid analysis. DeMint would definitely be a good running mate, however I see McDonnell as a better candidate. McDonnell has a somewhat fresher sense to him, and he brings an excellent conservative record as Governor of Virginia. Virginia will be a swing state, so McDonnell would help there. Finally, while Virginia is no South Carolina in terms of Southern states, it's South enough.

Despite the appeal of McDonnell, though, the VP nod will probably go to somebody else.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 03:39:03 AM »

He cited Dick Cheney as his model VP.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »

(1) Rubio
(2) Martinez
(3) Christie
(4) McDonnell

Mel Martinez is ineligible.  Which Martinez are you referring to?

Rubio is the best answer.  (I might actually vote for a Cain/Rubio ticket over Obama/Biden.)
milhouse24
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 11:01:22 AM »

I really doubt it will be a Hispanic or Roman Catholic, or both, unless its Jeb. 

It will be an Evangelical Christian to offset the Mormon fears. 

What about Portman?  But he's not a super Christian. 
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 11:09:41 AM »

DeMint would be ideal for Romney. Daniels or Thune for Perry.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 11:30:02 AM »

Is there any chance it's Cain to light a fire under the Teapers?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 12:05:46 PM »

(1) Rubio
(2) Martinez
(3) Christie
(4) McDonnell

Mel Martinez is ineligible.  Which Martinez are you referring to?

Rubio is the best answer.  (I might actually vote for a Cain/Rubio ticket over Obama/Biden.)

Susana Martinez
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 12:17:24 PM »

It will be an Evangelical Christian to offset the Mormon fears. 

Rubio would also be acceptable, and possibly Martinez as well.  But otherwise, this.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 02:29:58 PM »

I agree with the OP's analysis.  DeMint, Chambliss, and Barbour are the most likely picks, IMO.  What Romney will NOT do is pick a young guy who is likely to be a contender in 2016/2020; someone like Rubio, Jindal, or Christie. 
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »

I'll continue what I've been saying for months and say that Jim Demint would be the best choice, for all the reasons listed above. Yeah, it'd be nice to have a minority on the ticket, and it sucks that Demint isn't from a swing state, but the two of them together should present Obama a pretty formidable challenge.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 03:33:23 PM »

My top picks:
Romney/Rubio
Romney/DeMint
Romney/West
Romney/Haley
Romney/Christie
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 03:48:39 PM »

Howard Coble.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 03:58:29 PM »

I think that running-mate will come from one of swing states. It may be Senator Burr, Governor McDonnell or even a veteran, like Tom Ridge.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 04:46:26 PM »

Less seriously, most VP candidates that we've seen over the past decade have been flawed (The only two that were not, Gore and Bush, went on to win a majority of the popular vote when they moved to the top of the ticket). 

Gore won 48.38% of the vote in 2000, that would be a plurality, not a majority Smiley
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »

My top picks:
Romney/Rubio
Romney/DeMint
Romney/West
Romney/Haley
Romney/Christie
Thats my fantasy ticket if Romneys the nominee. I should of asked West last night during my 70 second conversation if he was interested in being VP...
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 04:54:48 PM »

Barbour would kill the ticket.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 05:04:12 PM »

Poor T-Paw.. Not even in the VP race any longer ? Tongue

Rubio
Thune
McConnell
Ryan
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 07:26:32 PM »

Less seriously, most VP candidates that we've seen over the past decade have been flawed (The only two that were not, Gore and Bush, went on to win a majority of the popular vote when they moved to the top of the ticket). 

Gore won 48.38% of the vote in 2000, that would be a plurality, not a majority Smiley

Fixed. Thanks for the catch.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 02:42:30 PM »

If he should choose an unabashed right-winger, then he loses almost all advantage that he has over Rick Perry in the swing states of the North and near-North.  Except in freak years like 2010, such right-wingers don't win  in Northern states. One good question: could any of the candidates be elected in Ohio?

I didn't ask "would"; I asked "can". Southern reactionaries have huge cultural baggage in the North; arguably that cultural baggage is as big for Southern reactionaries as it is for d@mnyankee liberals in the Deep South and the Mountain South. 

President Obama has less of a chance of winning any of the Clinton-but-not-Obama states (Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Tennessee, and West Virginia) than he has of winning Texas -- and that applies to Mississippi and Alabama, too.   If Mitt Romney has to make an effort to win any one of those states by choosing a VP candidate from one of those states, then he has lost. Saxby Chambliss? One might as well resurrect the late Jesse Helms. Georgia can be in contention, but if it is, then so are a bunch of other states that the Republicans absolutely need.

Bob McDonnell is the most likely Republican nominee for President in 2016 in the event of President Obama winning a second term. He will need a record as a shrewd and inoffensive administrator; for him a VP nomination is just too risky.

I would be careful about the Senatorial and Gubernatorial winners of 2010. Senator Ayotte is out of the question as a resident of New Hampshire, the state that Mitt Romney considers his domicile. Sure, Dick Cheney could change his legal residence from Texas to Wyoming easily; Kelly Ayotte can't. Senators Rubio (FL),  Toomey (PA), Portman (OH), Kirk (IL), and Johnson (WI), if chosen as VP running mates, all open Senate seats that Democrats would have good chances of winning 'back' in special elections. They may have avoided controversy so far that keep them from being troublesome in a Presidential election... but the Democrats will be looking for payback.

Here's my crazy pick: Charlie Crist.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies