which of the following of Marx's ten points do you support?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:57:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  which of the following of Marx's ten points do you support?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: which of the following of Marx's ten points do you support? (taken from Communist Manifesto ch. 2)
Abolition of property in land and application of all rents of land to public purposes.

A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.

Abolition of all rights of inheritance.

Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.

Centralisation of credit in the hands of the state, by means of a national bank with State capital and an exclusive monopoly

Centralisation of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the State.

Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the State; the bringing into cultivation of waste-lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.

Equal liability of all to work. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture.

Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of all the distinction between town and country by a more equable distribution of the populace over the country.

Free education for all children in public schools. Abolition of children’s factory labour in its present form. Combination of education with industrial production, &c, &c.

none

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: which of the following of Marx's ten points do you support?  (Read 4109 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2011, 05:42:44 PM »

2, 3 (Partially), 5 (Partially), 6 (Partially), 10.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2011, 07:23:18 PM »

Would have thought that everyone would support point nine. Of course it looks a little funny because of the way it's written, but think about it. Especially think about when it was written.
Why would anyone support nine?

I'm exaggerating for effect (I think), but the obvious answer is that it's actually happened and that most people would not be happy to see it reversed. Not if they really thought about it.

Not really.  Compared to when Marx wrote, population is more urbanized now than then.  While it is true that the urban areas have diffused somewhat, I don't think Marx was talking about turning people into farmers of turfgrass with his point 9. Rather in those days before the heavy mechanization of agriculture, I think he was thinking about the inefficiency of the seasonal nature of rural labor and the means to alleviate it so as to increase production to the benefit of all.  That's why this point follows point 8.

Point 8 is about getting people out of the factories and into the fields at the crucial times of harvest and planting.

Point 9 is about getting work to the rural population that is needed year round, but at tasks that do not require a full day's labor each day.  It is not about modern suburbanization.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »

Even at the time when this was written Marx believed that the traditional rural way of life was doomed and would be a thing of the past within a reality short period of time. One of the funniest things about the Manifesto is that the world it describes is one that would only start to emerge (outside the early industrial districts and a handful of huge cities) in the decades after it was written. If you read the text and knew nothing else about nineteenth century Europe (especially outside Britain and Belgium) you would assume that this was already a mature and thoroughly urbanised industrial society.

Fundamentally, of course, it's more a piece of utopian propaganda than a document containing practical suggestions for realistic reforms.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2011, 07:44:03 AM »

I support five and ten to varying degrees.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2011, 08:47:55 AM »

Which ones have a our last few as well as current president supported?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2011, 09:57:43 AM »

I dreamt about shop class last night.  I suppose it was this thread that triggered it.  I took Shop II in the eighth grade.  We had a semester of woodshop and a semester of metalshop.  I made some cool stuff.  Still have some of it.  I never took shop I.  I'd taken musical theater and band as my seventh grade electives.  And band and shop as my eighth grade electives.  But somehow they couldn't fit me into shop I so they put me in shop II.  I remember when we each designed and built a table out of ash wood, mine must have been pretty good, because my teacher, Mister Franklin, held it up to the class and said, in his hillbilly voice--he must have been from Kentucky or Deep East Texas or southern Ohio or somewhere like that--"Look class, a shop I student in a shop II class.  You should all be doing so well.  Look, the top opens.  Look at those beautiful hinges, inlaid..."  I was so embarrassed.  Anyway, I learned some useful skills in those classes.  Never tried to make any money off those skills, though. 

Years later I spoke on the phone to Mister Fernandez, the head of the vocational/technical trades at my high school.  I had never taken any of his classes, but I was a junior in college and was applying for a job as an English/Spanish translator, and his wife had been my Spanish III teacher and my Spanish IV teacher in the 11th and 12th grades, respectively.  I had excelled in her class, worked hard to be proficient and conversant in Spanish, won trophies at interscholastic league competitions, etc.  And we became friendly.  She was the first teacher I had who ever bought me a mixed drink.  In the 12th grade she bought me a traditional tequila margarita.  It was probably technically illegal, since the drinking age was 19 and I was still 17 or 18, but times were different then, and such things were no frowned upon as much.  Anyway, I wanted to use her as a professional reference for this translating gig.  Unfortunately, she had died of cancer about a year earlier, her husband told me.  So we talked for a while about her, and that she was one of my favorite teachers, and we got around to talking about voc/tech training.  I'd never taken any of those classes in high school, but they had automotive trades, mechanics, etc.  And I vaguely remembering him saying something about how back in the 60s it was real job training, but now (now being about 1989), it was more of a joke.  Well, I ended up getting that job anyway.

I doubt that any of them were Marxists.  I'm pretty sure Mr. Fernandez and Mrs. Fernandez were probably Democrats.  But I think we see from this poll that most of us think that Marx had a couple of good ideas, and a whole lot of crazy ones.  (30 of 51 support taxes; 42 of 51 support public schooling, and all the rest are low level of support).  And I think you could say that about any philosopher:  a couple of good ideas, but mostly crazy ones.  Except maybe the Buddha, Jesus of Nazareth, and Ron Paul.  They seemed to have more good than bad ideas.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies