Merry Christmas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:40:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Merry Christmas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Merry Christmas  (Read 11795 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2004, 07:32:39 PM »

Merry Christmas everyone

And I hope Phil has a happy "calming" period away from the forum this next week.

Also, why do you celebrate Christ's birth opebo?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2004, 07:34:27 PM »

And I hope Phil has a happy "calming" period away from the forum this next week.

Oh I don't need to calm down. I'm fine  Smiley

Anyway, I'm not going anywhere. It's just that I'll be busy so won't be on as much as usual.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2004, 09:08:34 PM »

happy 25th of December for our Atheist, Agnostic and Deist friends. Tongue

I still celebrate Christmas anyway, even though I'm a Deist.  Even if Jesus wasn't the Son of God, he still was one of the nicest guys around, and that's good enough for me to honor him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2004, 09:12:02 PM »

happy 25th of December for our Atheist, Agnostic and Deist friends. Tongue

I still celebrate Christmas anyway, even though I'm a Deist.  Even if Jesus wasn't the Son of God, he still was one of the nicest guys around, and that's good enough for me to honor him.

You are one classy guy, Gabu.
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2004, 09:12:50 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2004, 09:15:55 PM by badnarikin04 »

Frohliche Weinachten!

I don't really celebrate christmas as Christ's birthday, for my family it's more of the time of year to celebrate winter, the christmas spirit, and giving.

I also want to say Happy Kwaanzaa, even if it was made up by "long-haired hippie types".

How the hell did Pat pull that crap out of his ass anyways? What a 'tard that guy is. Everytime I end up flipping by the 700 Club, he's always trying to sell us televangelism masked as news.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2004, 09:34:12 PM »

Frohliche Weinachten!

I don't really celebrate christmas as Christ's birthday, for my family it's more of the time of year to celebrate winter, the christmas spirit, and giving.

I also want to say Happy Kwaanzaa, even if it was made up by "long-haired hippie types".

How the hell did Pat pull that crap out of his ass anyways? What a 'tard that guy is. Everytime I end up flipping by the 700 Club, he's always trying to sell us televangelism masked as news.

Being as how they pray during the show, I don't think they're trying to mask anything.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2004, 10:00:18 PM »

In that region there were shepards living in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for see--I am bringing you good news of the great joy for all people: to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is the Christ, the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a child wrapped in bands of cloth and lying in a manger." And suddenly there was with the angel a mutitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying, Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on the earth peace, goodwill among people

Merry Christmas everyone Smiley
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2004, 10:06:31 PM »

Thank you.

And a Merry Christmas to you as well.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2004, 11:03:30 PM »

Stille Nacht! Heilige Nacht!
Alles schläft; einsam wacht
Nur das traute heilige Paar.
Holder Knab im lockigten Haar,
Schlafe in himmlischer Ruh!
Schlafe in himmlischer Ruh!

Gottes Sohn! O wie lacht
Lieb´ aus deinem göttlichen Mund,
Da schlägt uns die rettende Stund´.
Jesus in deiner Geburt!
Jesus in deiner Geburt!

Die der Welt Heil gebracht,
Aus des Himmels goldenen Höhn
Uns der Gnaden Fülle läßt seh´n
Jesum in Menschengestalt,
Jesum in Menschengestalt

Wo sich heut alle Macht
Väterlicher Liebe ergoß
Und als Bruder huldvoll umschloß
Jesus die Völker der Welt,
Jesus die Völker der Welt.

Lange schon uns bedacht,
Als der Herr vom Grimme befreit,
In der Väter urgrauer Zeit
Aller Welt Schonung verhieß,
Aller Welt Schonung verhieß.

Hirten erst kundgemacht
Durch der Engel Alleluja,
Tönt es laut bei Ferne und Nah:
Jesus der Retter ist da!
Jesus der Retter ist da!
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2004, 01:58:07 AM »

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/ Joyful Winter Solstice Celebration/Hail the Invincible Sun/Etc. Holiday Season!

It's about compassion and giving, folks, so whatever you believe in, it's a good time to celebrate! Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2004, 02:05:04 AM »

Merry Christmas to all!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2004, 03:04:23 AM »

A Hawaiian translation of Silent Night

Pō la`i ē, pō kamaha`o,
Maluhia, malamalama
Ka makuahine aloha ē
Me ke keiki hemolele ē
Moe me ka maluhia lani
Moe me ka maluhia lani

Pō la`i ē, pō kamaha`o,
Oni na kahu hipa ē
I kō ka lani nani nō
Mele na `anela haleluia.
Hanau `ia Kristo ka haku.

Pō la`i ē, pō kamaha`o,
Keiki hiwahiwa aloha ē,
Ka lama la`i mai luna mai
Me ka lokomaika`i makamae.
Iesu i kou hanau `ana.
Iesu i kou hanau `ana.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2004, 03:13:15 AM »

A Hawaiian translation of Silent Night

Pō la`i ē, pō kamaha`o,
Maluhia, malamalama
Ka makuahine aloha ē
Me ke keiki hemolele ē
Moe me ka maluhia lani
Moe me ka maluhia lani

Pō la`i ē, pō kamaha`o,
Oni na kahu hipa ē
I kō ka lani nani nō
Mele na `anela haleluia.

Pō la`i ē, pō kamaha`o,
Keiki hiwahiwa aloha ē,
Ka lama la`i mai luna mai
Me ka lokomaika`i makamae.
Iesu i kou hanau `ana.
Iesu i kou hanau `ana.

"Kamaha" is a bona fide Hawaiian word?

Now I see where Lewis Trondheim got his "Kamehameha" from...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2004, 05:48:11 AM »

It's not Christmas yet... still Advent. Christmas starts on the 25th and carries on for 12 days :-)

I like Christmas
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2004, 05:51:35 AM »

It's not Christmas yet... still Advent. Christmas starts on the 25th and carries on for 12 days :-)

I like Christmas

Yes, it's not Christmas yet; Phil said why he posted this today in his original post.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2004, 08:59:35 AM »

Carols by Candlelight, a traditional Australian christmas celebration.

Every year in towns all across Australia, people come together on christmas eve, light a candle and sing carols together. this is the Melbourne version, in support of the Royal Victorian Institute of the Blind. It regularly attracts over 10000 people, plus millions on television (it's the biggest of the candlelight gatherings).

Over the next few days i'll be bringing in some other Aussie christmas insights Smiley
CO-OWL
OWL
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: 0.10

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2004, 01:38:24 PM »

Christmas starts in the evening of the 24th ("Heiligabend"), at least in Germany  Smiley

Frohe Weihnachten to all of you.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2004, 01:49:34 PM »

Christmas starts in the evening of the 24th ("Heiligabend"), at least in Germany  Smiley

Sounds like the only German Christmas tradition that wasn't blatently stolen by us in the 19th Century Wink
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2004, 06:59:26 PM »

The word "Christ" is substituted with an "X." Now you mean to tell me that people just type or write "Merry XMas" because it's shorter and they don't actually say it? What about that person who says "Merry XMas?" If you think that everyone that says that is just doing it because it's shorter than that showes a lack of common sense.

It is a frickin legitimate way of putting it, let us see what wikipedia says:

Xmas is an abbreviation for Christmas. It is derived from the word ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ, transliterated as Christos, which is Greek for Christ. Greek is the language in which the whole New Testament was written.

Originally, Xmas was an abbreviation where the X represents the Greek letter chi, with a hard ch, which is the first letter of Christ's name in Greek. However, because of the modern interpretations of the letter X, many people are unaware of this and assume that this abbreviation is meant to drop Christ from Christmas. The occasionally seen belief that the X represents the cross Christ was crucified on has no basis in fact; St Andrew's Cross is X-shaped, but Christ's cross was T-shaped. Indeed, X-as-chi was associated with Christ long before X-as-cross could be. The use of X as an abbreviation for cross in modern parlance may have reinforced this assumption.

In ancient Christian art X and XR (Chi Ro--the first two letters in Greek of Christos) abbreviate Christ's name. In many manuscripts of the New Testament, X abbreviates Christos (Xristos). The Oxford English Dictionary documents the use of this abbreviation back to 1551, fifty years before the first English colonists came to America and sixty years earlier than the completion of the King James Version of the Bible. At the same time, Xian and Xianity were in frequent use as abbreviations of Christian and Christianity.

You're still totally missing my point and how amusing...eveyone here defending what you said is totally ignoring opedo's statement. Dislike for the fact that Christ's birthday being celebrated on this day is why Xmas was started. Your average person says it to be ignorant. Now what would happen if I mocked another's faith? I'd be just another intolerant conservative, right? That's exactly what others are doing when they say Xmas. That's why you don't want "Christmas" trees but "Holiday" trees. That's why a Mayor of some city (forget which one) had to apologize for saying "Christmas party." Certain people in this country want to do away with Christ in this season.

Now I ask that we keep the argument down here. This was meant to spread good feelings for the holidays. I took offense to the "Merry Xmas" because opedo, who suggests that Christians should be fed to lions and makes his hate for Christianity known, did it to mock this celebration. And what I love about each and every one of you is that you'd be the first to jump down a conservative's throat if they said anything of the sort about a different religion.

Ok, Opebo may have meant it in an anti-Christian way, but you kept referring to "people" saying xmas, not all of them are doing it to be anti-Christian.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No it wasn't, did you read my post? Also, Statesrights pointed out that Xmas was used before Christmas.

Anyway, I will agree not to argue further.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2004, 08:03:45 PM »

Happy Holidays from Herbert Hoover![/color]

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2004, 11:42:06 PM »

"Kamaha" is a bona fide Hawaiian word?

Now I see where Lewis Trondheim got his "Kamehameha" from...

I just copied it, so I can't say for sure.  It could well that there are several different ways of transcribe Hawaiian into Latin script, just as there are for a number of other languages thar don't have a lengthy history of using that script.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2004, 03:11:56 PM »

Sorry JFK but if you think people use Xmas because of your historical information, you're wrong and so is States.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2004, 04:20:42 PM »

Sorry JFK but if you think people use Xmas because of your historical information, you're wrong and so is States.

My point is, it has been around a long time so people invariably say it, some people may now say it as they don't wish to say Christ but I doubt that accounts for all of them.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2004, 04:33:47 PM »

My point is, it has been around a long time so people invariably say it, some people may now say it as they don't wish to say Christ but I doubt that accounts for all of them.

My point is that most people say it because they don't want to have Christ is Christmas. They aren't walking around saying it because of the historical information you provided. They aren't brought up thinking the holiday's name is "Xmas." They know the name for the holiday. Most people that go around saying "Merry Xmas" are doing it purposely because they don't have respect for the religious meaning.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2004, 09:57:59 PM »

Why are we arguing over this little tidbit in a topic like this?

Whether or not opebo did what he did out of hatred for Christianity isn't really going to matter that much in the long run.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies