Merry Christmas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:25:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Merry Christmas
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Merry Christmas  (Read 11798 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2004, 03:43:50 PM »

With only a few days left until we celebrate Christmas, I thought it would be best if I took the time to wish everyone a Merry Christmas now. Most of us will be running around in the next week and might not find time to make it to the forum.

So Merry Christmas everyone and to all our Jewish friends on the forum, I hope you guys enjoyed the holiday with your family and friends. To everyone else who might not be celebrating Christmas or Hanukah, I hope you can enjoy the holiday season as well.

Have a Blessed Christmas

KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 03:48:45 PM »

Happy Festivus Everyone!

Now who do I wrestle for the Feats of Strength?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 03:51:12 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2004, 04:15:57 PM by Gubernatorial Candidate, Senator Bono »

Yea, happy Christmas everyone, and happy Hanukah for our Jewish friends, and happy 25th of December for our Atheist, Agnostic and Deist friends. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 03:56:48 PM »

Ugh...it's Christmas, Bono!

Sometimes I think people just purposely try to get me angry...  Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 04:03:23 PM »

Merry X-mas!  Though I am spared many of the excesses of the holiday season back home, I will happily report one adorable phenomenon - Thai bar girls dressed up in little christmas outfits.  I'm not sure if they're supposed to be elves, female santas, or santa's helpers, but they wear a tiny little red skirt, tiny red tube top, and a red santa hat with fake fur trim and flashing battery powered christmas lights attached!  
Engineer
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 04:31:26 PM »

Merry Christmas!

Wait can't say that, it has Christ in it.

Merry Xmas!

Ugh, has a cross symbol in it.

Happy Holidays!

Holidays comes from a root word of holy day, too religious.

Seasons Greetings!

Drat, season is too suggestive.

Great Vacations!

Nope, might offend out of work people.

Good Days!

Depressed people might object.

Days of whatever you want (provided it is gender neutral, color blind, socio-economically all inclusive).

The above is ACLU tentatively approved.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 04:33:27 PM »

Merry X-mas!  Though I am spared many of the excesses of the holiday season back home, I will happily report one adorable phenomenon - Thai bar girls dressed up in little christmas outfits.  I'm not sure if they're supposed to be elves, female santas, or santa's helpers, but they wear a tiny little red skirt, tiny red tube top, and a red santa hat with fake fur trim and flashing battery powered christmas lights attached! 

LOL!

Merry non-denominationally exclusive holiday seasons Wink.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 04:35:16 PM »

I hate Christmas.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 04:38:38 PM »

Actually X-Mas is a correct way of spelling Christmas. The "X" is from Greek and it was spelled that way originally.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 04:41:21 PM »

Actually X-Mas is a correct way of spelling Christmas. The "X" is from Greek and it was spelled that way originally.

It's not being used as "a correct way of spelling Christmas" States. You know that.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 04:43:05 PM »

Merry *censored by the Democratic Party and FCC*, y'all!

AND A HAPPY (don't forget the Chinese) NEW YEAR
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 04:47:11 PM »

It's not being used as "a correct way of spelling Christmas" States. You know that.

I have no idea why you care if someone calls it Xmas.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 05:48:13 PM »

The word "Christ" is substituted with an "X." Now you mean to tell me that people just type or write "Merry XMas" because it's shorter and they don't actually say it? What about that person who says "Merry XMas?" If you think that everyone that says that is just doing it because it's shorter than that showes a lack of common sense.

It is a frickin legitimate way of putting it, let us see what wikipedia says:

Xmas is an abbreviation for Christmas. It is derived from the word ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ, transliterated as Christos, which is Greek for Christ. Greek is the language in which the whole New Testament was written.

Originally, Xmas was an abbreviation where the X represents the Greek letter chi, with a hard ch, which is the first letter of Christ's name in Greek. However, because of the modern interpretations of the letter X, many people are unaware of this and assume that this abbreviation is meant to drop Christ from Christmas. The occasionally seen belief that the X represents the cross Christ was crucified on has no basis in fact; St Andrew's Cross is X-shaped, but Christ's cross was T-shaped. Indeed, X-as-chi was associated with Christ long before X-as-cross could be. The use of X as an abbreviation for cross in modern parlance may have reinforced this assumption.

In ancient Christian art X and XR (Chi Ro--the first two letters in Greek of Christos) abbreviate Christ's name. In many manuscripts of the New Testament, X abbreviates Christos (Xristos). The Oxford English Dictionary documents the use of this abbreviation back to 1551, fifty years before the first English colonists came to America and sixty years earlier than the completion of the King James Version of the Bible. At the same time, Xian and Xianity were in frequent use as abbreviations of Christian and Christianity.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 05:50:31 PM »

The word "Christ" is substituted with an "X." Now you mean to tell me that people just type or write "Merry XMas" because it's shorter and they don't actually say it? What about that person who says "Merry XMas?" If you think that everyone that says that is just doing it because it's shorter than that showes a lack of common sense.

Xmas is an abbreviation for Christmas. It is derived from the word ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ, transliterated as Christos, which is Greek for Christ. Greek is the language in which the whole New Testament was written.

Originally, Xmas was an abbreviation where the X represents the Greek letter chi, with a hard ch, which is the first letter of Christ's name in Greek. However, because of the modern interpretations of the letter X, many people are unaware of this and assume that this abbreviation is meant to drop Christ from Christmas. The occasionally seen belief that the X represents the cross Christ was crucified on has no basis in fact; St Andrew's Cross is X-shaped, but Christ's cross was T-shaped. Indeed, X-as-chi was associated with Christ long before X-as-cross could be. The use of X as an abbreviation for cross in modern parlance may have reinforced this assumption.

In ancient Christian art X and XR (Chi Ro--the first two letters in Greek of Christos) abbreviate Christ's name. In many manuscripts of the New Testament, X abbreviates Christos (Xristos). The Oxford English Dictionary documents the use of this abbreviation back to 1551, fifty years before the first English colonists came to America and sixty years earlier than the completion of the King James Version of the Bible. At the same time, Xian and Xianity were in frequent use as abbreviations of Christian and Christianity.

My sentiments exactly.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 05:57:32 PM »

Haha, lol...it'll be interesting to see the response to this. Wink

It's good to see that when Phil is involved even a Christmas thread can be turned into a quarrel. Tongue

God Jul to all of you. Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 05:58:08 PM »

Happy arbitrary date assigned to represent the birth of Jesus in an attempt to morally cleanse a festival meant for casual sex and heavy drinking that just happened to fall on the day chosen for the birth of Jesus to be celeberated.

Err, Christmas.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 06:07:15 PM »

Happy arbitrary date assigned to represent the birth of Jesus in an attempt to morally cleanse a festival meant for casual sex and heavy drinking that just happened to fall on the day chosen for the birth of Jesus to be celeberated.

Err, Christmas.

LOL! Sol Invictus I assume you mean?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2004, 06:10:32 PM »

Err, Christmas.

LOL! Sol Invictus I assume you mean?

Aye.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2004, 06:11:04 PM »

Err, Christmas.

Yes, I say we should celebrate Christmas in early March.  Christ seems more like a Pisces fellow to me Wink
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2004, 06:16:02 PM »

Err, Christmas.

I already do the heavy drinking, but I'll need a female partner for the causal sex.  6 days to find one, I better get started.......
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2004, 06:59:27 PM »

Err, Christmas.

I already do the heavy drinking, but I'll need a female partner for the causal sex.  6 days to find one, I better get started.......

I hear they are 50% off at select Wal-Mart stores.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2004, 07:02:03 PM »

Happy Holidays to everyone.
Cashcow

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2004, 07:02:32 PM »

Err, Christmas.

Technically this wasn't Jesus' real birthday, or so most sources tell me.

Happy holidays.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2004, 07:07:54 PM »

Err, Christmas.

Technically this wasn't Jesus' real birthday, or so most sources tell me.

Happy holidays.

That was his point, I believed that Emperor Constantine of Rome assigned the date of Sol Invictus to be the birth date of Christ to make the religious change smooth.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2004, 07:22:51 PM »

You're still totally missing my point and how amusing...eveyone here defending what you said is totally ignoring opedo's statement. Dislike for the fact that Christ's birthday being celebrated on this day is why Xmas was started. Your average person says it to be ignorant. Now what would happen if I mocked another's faith? I'd be just another intolerant conservative, right? That's exactly what others are doing when they say Xmas. That's why you don't want "Christmas" trees but "Holiday" trees. That's why a Mayor of some city (forget which one) had to apologize for saying "Christmas party." Certain people in this country want to do away with Christ in this season.

Now I ask that we keep the argument down here. This was meant to spread good feelings for the holidays. I took offense to the "Merry Xmas" because opedo, who suggests that Christians should be fed to lions and makes his hate for Christianity known, did it to mock this celebration. And what I love about each and every one of you is that you'd be the first to jump down a conservative's throat if they said anything of the sort about a different religion.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies