Our prayers might be answered: Christie to decide on 2012 bid.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:42:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Our prayers might be answered: Christie to decide on 2012 bid.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: Our prayers might be answered: Christie to decide on 2012 bid.  (Read 18700 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2011, 04:52:15 PM »

I know it's from NewsMax but the best of news is sometimes delivered by the worst of sources - http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Christie-president-Romney-Perry/2011/09/23/id/412133
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 04:56:36 PM »

I suspect it's too late, but it's good. Mittens needs to be challenged as much as possible, to get in maximum shape to take on Obama. Exercise is good, and more exercise is better! Perry obviously is just a punching bag for Mittens, and no challenge at all. It's like lifting just the bar on the bench press, without any weights on it - sort of like I do just to get warmed up a bit, before adding the iron. Christie will be more formidable. And Christie if he wins hopefully will not be in the DOA category for the finals that Perry would be in my judgement.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 05:11:15 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2011, 05:13:21 PM by Cancer Man »

I suspect it's too late, but it's good. Mittens needs to be challenged as much as possible, to get in maximum shape to take on Obama. Exercise is good, and more exercise is better!

Especially for Christie's heart...
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 05:17:06 PM »

Does anyone actually think he's going to be the front runner? He's just going to split the vote further.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »

I suspect it's too late, but it's good. Mittens needs to be challenged as much as possible, to get in maximum shape to take on Obama. Exercise is good, and more exercise is better! Perry obviously is just a punching bag for Mittens, and no challenge at all. It's like lifting just the bar on the bench press, without any weights on it - sort of like I do just to get warmed up a bit, before adding the iron. Christie will be more formidable. And Christie if he wins hopefully will not be in the DOA category for the finals that Perry would be in my judgement.

Torie, I respectfully disagree. Christie is a not merely a warm-up test... He has the ability (unlike any of the others, save Huntsman) to directly compete for Romney's voters. He's a Northeasterner who certainly could compete in states like New Hampshire. I know plenty of people (including my mother)  who are planning to vote for Romney but would switch to Christie in a heartbeat should he announce.

Now, I doubt Christie will run, but his colorful, all-encompasing appeal would vault him to the first tier instantly.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 05:22:04 PM »

Christie unites all. He is the chosen.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 05:23:42 PM »

Yes Nik, I think Christie does have a chance to win the gold unlike Perry, which I suggested. But unlike Perry, he won't be like a wounded deer for Obama to hunt down and just casually put out of his misery, without breaking a sweat. So it's all good. Whichever of the two wins, should be fit and very competitive with Obama - hopefully.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »

Yes Nik, I think Christie does have a chance to win the gold unlike Perry, which I suggested. But unlike Perry, he won't be like a wounded deer for Obama to hunt down and just casually put out of his misery, without breaking a sweat. So it's all good. Whichever of the two wins, should be fit and very competitive with Obama - hopefully.

Ah ok. Smiley I merely meant to say Christie is not cannon fodder (though no cannon could probably fit him).
Guderian

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 05:32:26 PM »

I don't see how Christie avoids some of the problems that are plaguing Perry right now. Parachuting yourself into the presidential race overnight and sounding coherent on everything is really hard. Especially since Christie is actually even less experienced than Perry.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 05:33:38 PM »

Ah ok. Smiley I merely meant to say Christie is not cannon fodder (though no cannon could probably fit him).

Indeed. He should shed some of the flab. It will become an issue in the campaign. Mark my words. It's a health issue. He will need to release a medical exam report I suspect. What's his blood pressure and glucose count? I am not trying to be snarky here. It's out there.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 05:36:38 PM »

I don't see how Christie avoids some of the problems that are plaguing Perry right now. Parachuting yourself into the presidential race overnight and sounding coherent on everything is really hard. Especially since Christie is actually even less experienced than Perry.

That is a question - a good question. We will find out one way or the other if this transpires, and sooner rather than later. But he is far more informed - and smart - than Perry is. What happened to Perry does not surprise me at all. It is what I expected, i.e. Perry is just about as bad as I expected.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 05:40:54 PM »

Though his candidacy may be the elephant in the room, I think that he'll manage to throw his weight around and become a heavyweight contender.
NCeriale
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »

http://www.draftchristie2012.com/DraftChristieSurveySummary_06282011.pdf

Page 2 he HEAVILY draws from Perry in support
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 05:46:15 PM »

Indeed. He should shed some of the flab. It will become an issue in the campaign. Mark my words. It's a health issue. He will need to release a medical exam report I suspect. What's his blood pressure and glucose count? I am not trying to be snarky here. It's out there.

He got elected in one of the thinnest states in the nation. Sure, his weight would be the subject of countless jokes but, as the New Jersey electorate has proven, it isn't half as important as people make it out to be.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 05:47:38 PM »

Yeah, he should definitely work on it. Though he shouldn't lose all of the weight; it's a humongous part of his image.

And Christie would certainly face some of the same problems Perry has. Though unlike Perry, Christie doesn't fumble over his words while speaking. So that's a boon. I'm still thinking that he won't go for it, though.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 05:49:19 PM »

Does anyone actually think he's going to be the front runner? He's just going to split the vote further.

No. He'll be in the top tier, but he's really lowered his chances of winning significantly with his wavering on a run these past few months. The Republican establishment should be pretty alarmed that if he and Palin both get in, that Ron Paul might be able to sneak by wins in Iowa and New Hampshire because of vote splitting.
Wonkish1

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 05:50:29 PM »

I love how Dems think they know GOP primary voters so well.

Christie is instant front runner if he jumps in, mark my words.

Also, he spouts data and information at an amazing level. I wouldn't worry about him being knowledgeable when he enters his first debate. Both in what he already knows and his ability to assimilate information.

This of course, if he actually gets in.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 05:52:19 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2011, 05:55:48 PM by Torie »

He got elected in one of the thinnest states in the nation. Sure, his weight would be the subject of countless jokes but, as the New Jersey electorate has proven, it isn't half as important as people make it out to be.

The health of a governor is a far different matter than the health of a POTUS. Anyway, if Christie has self discipline - a character trait a POTUS needs in spades in any event - he should shed 30-35 pounds over the balance of the year, and be sure his medical numbers are OK, and then release them in time for Iowa, and certainly in time for NH. Just a thought.

By the way, when I shed my 60 pounds, I did it at the rate of 10 pounds a month with no ill effects, although a key part of that was a regular exercise regimen. That is why I recommended the 30-35 pound loss over the balance of the year for Christie. It can realistically and safely, be done. And I didn't stop drinking while doing it!  Smiley
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 05:53:05 PM »

Also, he spouts data and information at an amazing level. I wouldn't worry about him being knowledgeable when he enters his first debate. Both in what he already knows and his ability to assimilate information.

Not many primary voters know much about him except he always sounds angry when he talks, and likes to go after unions and spending. If he runs, and if he develops a detailed platform, he may run into trouble.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 05:53:31 PM »

Oh look it's this thread again.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 05:53:51 PM »

He has the attitude.  I've never seen such a rude governor.  He'd be perfect for the GOP, I think he'd beat Romney in the polls easily.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 06:04:07 PM »

The health of a governor is a far different matter than the health of a POTUS.

The Governor of New Jersey is the most powerful Governor in the nation so if you want to argue that health matters (and I agree that it does), you can't just dismiss it because he's "only" the Governor

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree that he should shed some weight but it clearly isn't a big issue to the voters.
Wonkish1

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 06:04:32 PM »

Not many primary voters know much about him except he always sounds angry when he talks, and likes to go after unions and spending. If he runs, and if he develops a detailed platform, he may run into trouble.

I don't think you get how much of the primary electorate forms. About 1/3 of the primary electorate pays a lot of attention and know exactly who Christie is. When he enters he takes over all of the headlines and chatter. Another 1/3 of the primary electorate asks the first 1/3 what they think of him. This 'asking the knowledgeable activist you know' is well documented and is widespread.

Those 2 groups will shoot Christie to the front real quickly. Exactly the same thing that happened to Perry when he jumped in. Then it moves to the debates and unlike Perry, Christie is one of the most articulate, methodical, and intelligent speakers out there.

So again he would be the front runner very quickly.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »

Christie is one of the most articulate, methodical, and intelligent speakers out there.

The same cannot be said of your grammatical skills.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »

He has the attitude.  I've never seen such a rude governor.  He'd be perfect for the GOP, I think he'd beat Romney in the polls easily.

Are you insinuating that Republicans are obnoxious?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies