Al Gore 2008 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:13:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Al Gore 2008 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Al Gore 2008  (Read 5596 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: December 20, 2004, 09:24:02 PM »

No, no, no. Back away from the Al Gore. Step away from the Al Gore.

Bayh all the way.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 12:20:43 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2004, 12:22:27 AM by X-Mas Alcon »

What's so great about Bayh?
The fact that his daddy was a good politician isn't going to get him much support.

Let's see:

- He is midwestern.
- He pulled a huge number of Republicans.
- He received nearly half of the evangelical vote (side note: there are evangelical Democrats?)
- He is a moderate, but does not sway with the political wind.
- He has had no scandals that I am aware of.
- He seems like a nice guy.
- He's got the groove.

DH put it well:

Bayh was elected Indiana Secretary of State in 1986 and governor in 1988 in close contests - but his re-election as governor and both Senate contests have seen him averaging around 63% of the vote

Bayh enjoys the support of around 35% of Indiana's Republicans and 45% of her evangelical Christians; percentages most Democrats could only dream of!

In sum, I think Bayh is electable as President. However, some would say he's not too charismatic but he's certainly telegenic

Ideologically, Bayh is pretty close to the centre - a man capable of reaching out to moderate conservatives (and 'Main Street' values) without alienating liberals

In 2008, should he seek and obtain the Democratic nomination and face a conservative Republican, I reckon Bayh would win comfortably

The only downer is that sitting senators don't tend to be elected President; however, Bayh was a two-term governor with a sound executive record. A criticism is that he never really used his political capital in Indiana; however, I believe governing in a cautious, as opposed to risky, fashion is a positive attribute. Besides, after eight years of Bush ruling from the ideological right, America will be ready for more moderate and steady pair of hands come 2008

Bayh is one of the best prospects that Democrats have to  be elected President. Because he's a moderate, he has the capacity to be a uniter and not a divider in that he has strong bi-partisan appeal

I guess he could secure over 90% of the Democratic vote, 60% of independent vote and 15% of the Republican vote; as well as most liberals, most moderates and a significant number of conservatives

He's a strong Democrat from the "red" state of Indiana. His vote actually topped that of Bush (by around 18,000) when he was re-elected to the Senate

Dave
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 07:10:20 PM »

Ah so you would want the Democrats to nominate a man who is far from the party mainstream just so you can appeal to the masses. That is when I know the party system has failed. I wish both parties would just nominate people who support the views of their party not some moderate who has the best chance of winning.

I do not think that is healthy. I think we need cooperation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies