Pennsylvania proposes allocating electoral votes by Congressional distrct
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:47:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Pennsylvania proposes allocating electoral votes by Congressional distrct
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: Pennsylvania proposes allocating electoral votes by Congressional distrct  (Read 21312 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: September 16, 2011, 11:32:02 AM »

I don't favor this proposal, but it is both constitutional and fair.

I don't favor this proposal because it is unconstitutional and it is unfair. What's more, it is quite unconstitutional and very unfair.

Are you leading the hunger strikes in Maine and Nebraska, too?

No, I am not.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #226 on: September 16, 2011, 11:44:20 AM »

The comparison with Maine and Nebraska is disingenuous.

1)Both are small, non-swing states that are unlikely to decide a close election.

2)Gerrymandering is not a problem in these states.

3)The popular vote winner is guaranteed to take the majority of electoral votes (3 out of 5 from Nebraska and 3 out of 4 from Maine), while the opposite is very possible in Pennsylvania.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #227 on: September 16, 2011, 01:18:52 PM »

JJ, until you take gerrymandering out of the process, this cannot be fair. And it might hurt reps in the future. I have a Democratic gerrymander of PA in the works. I will unfurl it soon someday tuned to the P&G board.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #228 on: September 16, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »

People are seriously arguing this is fair?

Pennsylvania is a Democratic state.

Republican Governor/Lt. Governor, Republican U.S. Senator, Republican Attorney General, Republican State Senate (30-20), Republican State House (112-91), Republican majority in the House delegation (12-7).

Yeah, definitely not a swing state.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #229 on: September 16, 2011, 01:26:58 PM »

1)Both are small, non-swing states that are unlikely to decide a close election.

So that makes it fair and, more importantly, Constitutional? Huh?
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #230 on: September 16, 2011, 01:28:06 PM »

People are seriously arguing this is fair?

Pennsylvania is a Democratic state.

Republican Governor/Lt. Governor, Republican U.S. Senator, Republican Attorney General, Republican State Senate (30-20), Republican State House (112-91), Republican majority in the House delegation (12-7).

Yeah, definitely not a swing state.

2008 - Democratic
2004 - Democratic
2000 - Democratic
1996 - Democratic
1992 - Democratic

Yeah that looks like a swing state to me!  

Local politics =/= National politics
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #231 on: September 16, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »

It makes it the equivalent of jaywalking vs. highway robbery. It's the difference between a serious injustice and a trivial issue. There's virtually no scenario where splitting electoral votes in NE and ME gets the minority more than 20-25% of the electoral votes, and that is only in a landslide election for the minority party. In Pennsylvania, the minority could win a majority of electoral votes in a close election and gerrymandering comes into play.

You're not a stupid person, Phil, you understand the concept here and the distinction. It's ok if you don't accept it for whatever reason, but don't play dumb.

Do you not understand the concept of shades of gray vs. total right-and-wrong?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #232 on: September 16, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »

I don't favor this proposal, but it is both constitutional and fair.

I don't favor this proposal because it is unconstitutional and it is unfair. What's more, it is quite unconstitutional and very unfair.

I am close to believing that if this Frankenstein were brought to life, the odds are close to 100% that SCOTUS would kill it. Yes, 100%. I know as a Justice that I would, and I'm a Pubbie!  Smiley
rob in cal
« Reply #233 on: September 16, 2011, 03:03:10 PM »

Sbane, I'd be intrested in seeing your PA gerrymander.  I'd like to see one where the Philly districts are chopped up and split up over the entire eastern Pennsylvania area, giving Dems a victory chance throughout the region.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #234 on: September 16, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »

It makes it the equivalent of jaywalking vs. highway robbery. It's the difference between a serious injustice and a trivial issue. There's virtually no scenario where splitting electoral votes in NE and ME gets the minority more than 20-25% of the electoral votes, and that is only in a landslide election for the minority party. In Pennsylvania, the minority could win a majority of electoral votes in a close election and gerrymandering comes into play.

You're not a stupid person, Phil, you understand the concept here and the distinction. It's ok if you don't accept it for whatever reason, but don't play dumb.

That's your argument for it being unfair. Fine. You still haven't explained why it's unconstitutional and worthy of outcry in one situation but not in the other.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #235 on: September 16, 2011, 03:30:47 PM »

Ugh, let this thread die already.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #236 on: September 16, 2011, 03:35:15 PM »

That's your argument for it being unfair. Fine. You still haven't explained why it's unconstitutional and worthy of outcry in one situation but not in the other.

The Nebraska and Maine thing has not been tested in the courts. Why?  Because until 2008 it made zero difference. It violates the one man, one vote principle.  It denies a republican form of government. It does not comport with the intent of the founders, who never envisioned gerrymanders leading to a very biased electoral college. SCOTUS will reach to kill it. It would lead to electoral chaos.  The Pubs could do it in Ohio, Michigan,  Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, and not do it in NC, North Carolina, Texas and Florida. What larger state with a GOP lean do the Dems control?  None. A GOP POTUS "elected" under this regime would have no legitimacy whatsoever, if he "won" while losing the popular vote by 6% or something. Enough said.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #237 on: September 16, 2011, 03:46:42 PM »

On a related note there was talk in Nebraska about returning to a winner-take-all system
http://www.omaha.com/article/20110209/NEWS01/702099866/0?wpisrc=nl_fix

I have not heard anything recently so I'm unsure if it went anywhere
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: September 16, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »

On a related note there was talk in Nebraska about returning to a winner-take-all system
http://www.omaha.com/article/20110209/NEWS01/702099866/0?wpisrc=nl_fix

I have not heard anything recently so I'm unsure if it went anywhere

If Obama has won in 2008 by one electoral vote, SCOTUS would have decided this issue already btw.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #239 on: September 16, 2011, 03:54:35 PM »

Sbane, I'd be intrested in seeing your PA gerrymander.  I'd like to see one where the Philly districts are chopped up and split up over the entire eastern Pennsylvania area, giving Dems a victory chance throughout the region.

Oh if I did that then I could finish off the pubbies in Pennsylvania (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration) but no, I did not do that. I kept the two district at about 44% Black VAP. I will post it soon, no worries. Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #240 on: September 16, 2011, 04:00:40 PM »

JJ, until you take gerrymandering out of the process, this cannot be fair. And it might hurt reps in the future. I have a Democratic gerrymander of PA in the works. I will unfurl it soon someday tuned to the P&G board.

And I'd call that Democratic gerrymander fair, so long as it meets the constitutional requirements.  This is, "We don't like it, therefor it is unfair."
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #241 on: September 16, 2011, 04:22:49 PM »

While the constitution is silent on this issue, anyone challenging it can make a strong case that it violates the equal protection clause as the clear motive of the legislature would be to make a 55-45% GOP victory in one district count as much as a 90-10 Dem. victory in another. A key difference is that the state's borders are fixed while each district's borders can be manipulated every decade. Not to mention the packing of minority voters into heavily Democratic districts will is allowed for redistricting but the fact that this plan is designed to dilute their statewide influence likely violates the VRA.
rob in cal
« Reply #242 on: September 16, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »

I'd be interested to hear from our Pennsylvania people about the impact of Governor Corbett's support on the chances of this happening.  He spoke quite favorably about it yesterday.

Also, it would be nice if it was introduced in a less gerrymandered environment, say one in which it was likely that the Dem candidate was likely to win an amount of EV's fairly close to his statewide percentage anyway.  That way supporters of the change could argue that the electoral vote change was merely creating a result more in proportion to the true state of political feeling in the state.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #243 on: September 16, 2011, 04:37:24 PM »

I'd be interested to hear from our Pennsylvania people about the impact of Governor Corbett's support on the chances of this happening.  He spoke quite favorably about it yesterday.

Also, it would be nice if it was introduced in a less gerrymandered environment, say one in which it was likely that the Dem candidate was likely to win an amount of EV's fairly close to his statewide percentage anyway.  That way supporters of the change could argue that the electoral vote change was merely creating a result more in proportion to the true state of political feeling in the state.

I'm glad I didn't contribute to Tom Corbett, Space Cadet.

It's a terrible idea that is both constitutional and fair.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #244 on: September 16, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »

And I'd call that Democratic gerrymander fair, so long as it meets the constitutional requirements.  This is, "We don't like it, therefor it is unfair."

No, no, no. Gerrymandering is wrong no matter who it is done by. Not to mention if the Dems were gerrymandering now, you would find some way of finding a problem with it, while the same  people up in arms about current Republican gerrymandering would be quiet or even supportive.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #245 on: September 16, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »

Re: unconstitutional, I said further up thread that it looked like a potential Baker v. Carr situation where a minority of the popular vote could get a majority of the electoral vote with the kind of gerrymandering and concentration of Dem voters in cities that you see in Pennsylvania.

As for why it's worthy of outcry in one situation but not the other, I feel like I've mentioned it at least twice. The only way an electoral vote in NE or ME, and it's only going to be one, is going to swing toward the minority party is if the minority party is going to win a large victory in the national elections. It's functionally irrelevant to any outcome. With PA, the stakes are a lot higher, and there is gerrymandering and voter concentration at play. If PA had 2 or 3 districts, it would hardly matter.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #246 on: September 16, 2011, 05:21:26 PM »

Note that while the NE split helped Obama pad his victory in 2008, the Maine split is only going to come into play to help a Republican candidate if he wins ME-2, so I don't have any partisan reasons to support it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #247 on: September 16, 2011, 05:26:17 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2011, 05:27:51 PM by J. J. »

No, no, no. Gerrymandering is wrong no matter who it is done by. Not to mention if the Dems were gerrymandering now, you would find some way of finding a problem with it, while the same  people up in arms about current Republican gerrymandering would be quiet or even supportive.

You have never heard me criticize NE or ME, and NE did benefit Obama.  I recognize that that the states can do it.  I think, in this case, it has some negative drawbacks, from both an R and D perspective.  It certainly would diminish the importance of PA in presidential elections.

This is just an example of, "We don't like it, therefor it is unfair."
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #248 on: September 16, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »

Re: unconstitutional, I said further up thread that it looked like a potential Baker v. Carr situation where a minority of the popular vote could get a majority of the electoral vote with the kind of gerrymandering and concentration of Dem voters in cities that you see in Pennsylvania.

By using that standard, you would have to claim that all Representative from the state have to be from the same party.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, and they are higher still in Texas.  It would make Texas doing this wrong.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #249 on: September 16, 2011, 05:33:42 PM »

By using that standard, you would have to claim that all Representative from the state have to be from the same party.

No, I wouldn't.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Right, I agree that it would be wrong for Texas to do this.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies