Iran says cheap "Made in China" Qurans full of typos
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:03:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Iran says cheap "Made in China" Qurans full of typos
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Iran says cheap "Made in China" Qurans full of typos  (Read 2382 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2011, 05:47:42 PM »

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/31/iran-says-cheap-made-in-china-qurans-full-of-typos/?hpt=hp_c2

This just cracked me up for some reason.  I wonder if any "Made in China" bibles have the same issue.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »

Not saying this has any connection, but don't Muslims not accept Kirans written in any other language?like they don't believe the Korans found in US hotel rooms are legitimate.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 07:05:18 PM »

the Chinese should have included drawings of Mohammad

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:13:04 PM »

Not saying this has any connection, but don't Muslims not accept Kirans written in any other language?like they don't believe the Korans found in US hotel rooms are legitimate.

It depends of the branch of Islam. Some accept traductions, some are thinking than traduction denature the sayings of Mahomet.

Well, perhaps it is a wise idea. I have two different Bibles at home and the translation of some verses is quite different sometimes. They don't even mean the same thing by moments.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 07:35:08 PM »

It depends of the branch of Islam. Some accept traductions, some are thinking than traduction denature the sayings of Mahomet.

Well, perhaps it is a wise idea. I have two different Bibles at home and the translation of some verses is quite different sometimes. They don't even mean the same thing by moments.

It is amazing what is lost (and what has been lost) through translation over the years.  Certain phrases mean nothing to us today, but must have been common understanding back then.  A few years ago I was told about the verse at the bottom, that the eye of a needle was a gateway, rather than what I would normally perceive it to be.  Of course, I can't assume this is so, but it's amazing the perceptions many of us have reading KJV and NIV.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 09:11:04 PM »

I'm starting to think belgian may have said it best..

Did people on here really fight to have you back?

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 09:54:22 PM »

the Chinese should have included drawings of Mohammad

As the master race, the Chinese do not care to intervene in petty religious fights beyond selling both sides books and memorabilia.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 09:55:42 PM »

LOL
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 01:23:55 AM »

LOL you're so edgy and mature LOL
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 10:08:16 AM »

Koran is legitimate in it's original form: Arabic. Translations are, of course, allowed but just for, let's say, academic purposes. Only Koran in Arabic have spiritual meaning.

See, Muslims do believe that Koran is a perfect word from God. Thus, any translation can't be as perfect.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 10:15:42 AM »

Koran is legitimate in it's original form: Arabic. Translations are, of course, allowed but just for, let's say, academic purposes.
Or for beginners who haven't even converted yet.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 10:17:47 AM »

Only Koran in Arabic have spiritual meaning...Thus, any translation can't be as perfect.

so, basically, you're saying the Koran is not intended as a universal message, for it has no spiritual meaning outside of Arabic.

...did I catch your meaning or do you need to further translate?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 10:47:54 AM »

The Arabic original is the original message of God to the World through Mohammed, word for word. A translation is just a translation of God's word, and it is impossible to create a translation that is not also interpretation to at least some degree.
The difference between the Koran and the Bible being, of course, that the Koran was collated within 15 years or so of Mohammed's death, while the Bible is an extraordinary hodgepodge of writings spanning a millennium (though, of course, some surahs make it very clear that Mohammad or God had read parts of the Bible). Much of the distinction gets lost if you let everybody use their own translation.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 11:10:37 AM »

the simplicity of the Gospel's spiritual message is translatable in any language, for it was intended from the beginning to be a universal message of salvation...

to say that the spirituality of message is only gleaned within a given language is to elevate that language above the supposed "message"...for in such cases, the message is simply a tool to unify power in order to bring to fruition the real goal....it's a basically a bait and switch.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »

Must I remember than in some radical Catholic dissents, the bible and the mass are in Latin and can't be translated?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 12:20:11 PM »

Must I remember than in some radical Catholic dissents, the bible and the mass are in Latin and can't be translated?

you're trying to get me in trouble with the Catholics, aren't you Wink
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 12:45:21 PM »

Let Iran print them in their own sweat shops instead of Chinese ones.......or perhaps Hugo and his country's sweat shops will take over.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 12:58:16 PM »

Only Koran in Arabic have spiritual meaning...Thus, any translation can't be as perfect.

so, basically, you're saying the Koran is not intended as a universal message, for it has no spiritual meaning outside of Arabic.

Intended? Hard to say, considering that Islam was created for Arabs in first place. Currently, I'd say, since Islam is a worldwide religion, it is intended, but only in original. Thus, to be any authority in Koran, you must be fluent in classical Arabic.

I know it's weird, but it's Muslim dogma. Show me a religion without strange dogmas.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 01:01:29 PM »

Koran is legitimate in it's original form: Arabic. Translations are, of course, allowed but just for, let's say, academic purposes.
Or for beginners who haven't even converted yet.

It's an interesting situation, since, I'd say, most of the Muslims worldwide wouldn't be able to read an original Koran. Actually, most of the Arabs can't read classis Arabic.

That's why you have scholars.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »

In other news, Iranian Islam is also full of typos and inaccuracies.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 11:19:04 AM »

The latin bible is a translation, of course...

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 11:54:03 AM »

The latin bible is a translation, of course...

yes, the idea was the Vulgate was specially inspired as a translation in a way that didn't exist for the common tongues of Western Europe. 
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »

I know Iran is talking about versions of the Qur'an printed in China, probably the Arabic versions, and I would not be at all surprised of they are typo-ridden.  But I've never thought to look at a version of the Qur'an in Chinese; I should, just out of curiosity, sometimes.  Islam is one of the five nationally recognized religions in China, and has a National Association which might subsidize translations.  On the other hand, a large number of the Muslims who live in China are in Xinjiang province, so I wonder what kinds of versions of the Qur'an they have.  Interesting, I'll have to read up a little on this.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 01:11:52 PM »

Yesterday I finished my long-standing on-and-off project to read the entire Koran.  I must say that whenever people say that the Koran is much better in the original Arabic, I can only hope that they're right.  It's monotonous, repetitive, and doesn't flow well at all.  "They will be Companions of the Fire!"  "That is easy for Allah!"  "For Allah is most-forgiving, all-merciful," "Allah is greater than the things they attribute to Him!" etc.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 01:16:45 PM »

Yesterday I finished my long-standing on-and-off project to read the entire Koran.  I must say that whenever people say that the Koran is much better in the original Arabic, I can only hope that they're right.  It's monotonous, repetitive, and doesn't flow well at all.  "They will be Companions of the Fire!"  "That is easy for Allah!"  "For Allah is most-forgiving, all-merciful," "Allah is greater than the things they attribute to Him!" etc.

Sounds like a thread in a Christian forum thanking God for finding $10 on the ground.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies