Ontario 2011 (6th October)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:39:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario 2011 (6th October)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24]
Author Topic: Ontario 2011 (6th October)  (Read 83325 times)
Linus Van Pelt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: October 17, 2011, 09:30:48 PM »

Which white area would you expect Greens based on my analysis where you find none?

The Green party's Ontario base, such as it is, is concentrated in the third of these areas - though particularly in the transition zone between it and the southwest, where you get that Vermont-like small-farms-in-the-wooded-hills look that's so appealing to a certain demographic.

2011 Ontario Provincial Election Maps - Greens Vote

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #576 on: October 17, 2011, 10:40:11 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2011, 10:44:47 PM by Teddy (SoFE) »

After examining these areas on Google Maps, it would appear that the number of trees in any given riding can be directly correlated to the number of Green voters. Where there are more farms, fewer people vote Green

Put another way
I was right when I implied Farmers do not vote Green. I was mistaken however in presuming everyone in a rural riding is a farmer.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #577 on: October 18, 2011, 07:23:37 AM »

Northern Ontario has a ton of trees, and hardly any Green support. I don't think that's a valid assumption.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #578 on: October 18, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »

Northern Ontario has a ton of trees, and hardly any Green support. I don't think that's a valid assumption.

Northern Ontario is another beast all together, and i think we mentioned that... and you can see that the Greens die bascially north of Nipissing and Parry Sound-Muskoka. The Cottages end and the small resources towns replace the baby-boomer cottage country. I think that might play too into the Greens strength in Parry Sound-Muskoka... many small c conservatives who don't care for the PC rebranded tea party north who might not vote NDP or LIberal might vote Green as they are fiscally more conservative. Same for the Simcoe ridings.
The North is more resources based around forestry and minning... if there are any enviro's up there i think they vote NDP or Liberal, which is an odd mix since the NDP has been a traditional base for the forestry and environmentalism... which i don't think their mutually exclusive either.
Greens also tend to die off in old industrial areas; look at SW ontario or the Hamilton-Niagara area... areas where the NDP is stronger.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #579 on: October 18, 2011, 11:09:18 AM »

I don't consider the small smattering of ridings in Northern Ontario to be part of Ontario when discussing Ontario voting patterns.
adma
« Reply #580 on: October 20, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »

When it comes to making sense of these Ontario Green voting patterns, it's useful to keep in mind the "Tories with composters" label that's been attached to them...
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #581 on: October 20, 2011, 07:41:33 PM »

When it comes to making sense of these Ontario Green voting patterns, it's useful to keep in mind the "Tories with composters" label that's been attached to them...

Aren't Canadian Greens, in general, more right-wing than their international cousins anyway?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #582 on: October 20, 2011, 07:53:29 PM »

Aren't Canadian Greens, in general, more right-wing than their international cousins anyway?

Yeah, pretty much. They're like the Czech Greens or Swiss Green Liberals.
adma
« Reply #583 on: March 26, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »

Bad news, people--the colour-coded poll-by-poll maps on the Global TV site have been 404'd for the past couple of days http://globalnews.ca/pages/topicNew.aspx?id=6442556629
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #584 on: March 27, 2013, 07:02:41 AM »

Bad news, people--the colour-coded poll-by-poll maps on the Global TV site have been 404'd for the past couple of days http://globalnews.ca/pages/topicNew.aspx?id=6442556629

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

adma
« Reply #585 on: March 27, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »

And unfortunately, the structure of the Global site is such that I haven't figured out how, exactly, to inquire about what's going on (I tried, reflexively, through a programming-feedback page; no word yet)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies