Ontario 2011 (6th October)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:28:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario 2011 (6th October)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24
Author Topic: Ontario 2011 (6th October)  (Read 83296 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 06:53:02 PM »

Expect a new projection this evening based on the new poll.

Good! I was thinking about that on the tram this morning on my way to work, wondering when the next one will be up.

As for campaigns, I think I've probably been on more losing ones than winning ones - I often go to either marginal electorates or electorates where our presence is particularly weak and the party needs members on the ground to assist with the campaign. I've spent many an election day at booths where we might hope to get a third of the vote (bearing in mind we have only two major parties here).
DL
Canada

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 09:57:22 PM »

Interesting how the Toronto Star poll said it was a 3 way race with the NDP further behind, while the National Post had the NDP doing better, but completely ignores them in the headline and says it's not a 3 way race yet. (although, those numbers are suggest otherwise)

Especially given that according to this poll the Liberals are closer to coming in third than they are to coming in first!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 10:35:49 PM »

How important is this election for the federal Liberals? Should we assume that a disasterous showing may be the final blow, or should we go by the general 'no real connection between the federal and the provincial level' principle?

Canada's a very odd country politically, particularly in terms of the federal political structure. Voters treat federal elections as a referendum on provincial politics far more than the reverse.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 02:35:36 AM »

http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.com/2011/09/ontario-election-2011-prediction.html

Tory minority projected with the NDP at 19 seats.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »

Grits to unveil their platform tomorrow. "Four More Years" probably summarizes it in a sentence.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ontariovotes2011/story/2011/09/02/liberals-unveil-platform.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 09:58:02 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2011, 10:04:51 PM by RogueBeaver »

Dad: There is no deficit.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario/dalton-mcguinty-makes-electoral-pitch-to-women-seniors-new-canadians/article2153430/

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 09:44:32 PM »

New Nanos poll:

PC: 35 (-7)
Lib: 32 (-6)
NDP: 23 (+7)
Grn: 4 (+1)

Im not sure where the other 6% went Huh

Undecideds are at 8% (down 8%)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2011, 10:08:40 PM »

Remember folks, so long as "Dad" is in second place, every insult against him is one step closer to a Hudak government.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 11:06:11 PM »

Much like the Harper minority governments, a Hudak minority government I can handle, and *prefer* over a McGuinty government. I just hope it doesn't lead to a Hudak majority 5 years from now, but rather an NDP government.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 11:26:55 PM »

Sure, if you want to kill public transit in the process.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 11:38:46 PM »

Earl, when shall be the next prediction update? Will it be based on this Nanos poll, or will you wait for another poll or two to be released, and then average the results?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 07:30:40 AM »

Earl, when shall be the next prediction update? Will it be based on this Nanos poll, or will you wait for another poll or two to be released, and then average the results?

Im going to wait for more polls to come in. They will begin to flow in, and I don't have the time to do a projection every day, unfortunately. (I'm not using any computer programs, each riding is done individually)
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »

Im going to wait for more polls to come in. They will begin to flow in, and I don't have the time to do a projection every day, unfortunately. (I'm not using any computer programs, each riding is done individually)

GAH! so makes sense to have a handfull of polls then eh... reminds me of the "good old days", something to be said about putting all the effort in, usually the results are more accurate? we shall see...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=278377288845954 - Sorry i could only find the Facebook link but the NDP will launch their campaign in Thunder bay *cough* targets! *cough* from this, the NDP WILL be focusing on the winning over those northern seats they hold federally, and they have a good shot at many of them.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 08:14:16 AM »

Much like the Harper minority governments, a Hudak minority government I can handle, and *prefer* over a McGuinty government. I just hope it doesn't lead to a Hudak majority 5 years from now, but rather an NDP government.

Disgusting but hardly surprising.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 10:40:46 AM »

I wish to say than I don't approve of the "Anybody but Liberals" thinking of Earl, even if I understand his reasons.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2011, 11:21:31 AM »

When I do go and vote for McIdiot, I plan to literally hold my nose.

Either that or, if I'm certain that the Grits will hold on to this riding, I might spoil my ballot.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2011, 11:27:53 AM »
« Edited: September 06, 2011, 11:30:25 AM by never met a fence I didn't want to burrow under »

Somebody put the date of this election into the subject header or at least the opening post, or I'll have this man

raised from the dead to abduct him.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2011, 04:27:59 PM »

Oh Lewis, that's what my blog is for!

Note to the haters: I still prefer a Liberal majority over a Tory majority, obviously.  With a Tory minority, we could see a Liberal+NDP coalition developed which is almost the best option!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2011, 04:32:28 PM »

Is that what Conservatives are proposing?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2011, 05:58:11 PM »

Is that what Conservatives are proposing?

A PC government would certainly help and enable Ford into killing transit in Toronto even more.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2011, 06:18:03 PM »

What do you guys think the impact will be of McGuinty's $10,000 tax credit for hiring an immigrant.  While one can argue whether it is a good or bad policy, this almost seems like a John Tory moment.  If I were McGuinty I would find a way to get this off the front page ASAP before the Tories can capitalize on it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2011, 06:33:06 PM »

What do you guys think the impact will be of McGuinty's $10,000 tax credit for hiring an immigrant.  While one can argue whether it is a good or bad policy, this almost seems like a John Tory moment.  If I were McGuinty I would find a way to get this off the front page ASAP before the Tories can capitalize on it.

I think Walkom summed it up well in his column today, even if I disagree with his conclusion. Of all the things to criticize in McGuinty's record, this would be pretty far down my list.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2011, 07:21:03 AM »

I think that was a wrong move made with good intensions... but in the end will benefit the NDP. Why? the NDP has a similar plan BUT isn't specific on immigrants but rather ALL ontarians...

From their policy book --> Reward Job creators... create a 10% tax credit for companies that invest in building, machinery and equipment.... create a training tax credit for companies to help their staff upgrade skills. Couple that with the NDP's plan to reduce the small business tax rate to 4%

And how will the liberals attach the NDP... with a video of the NDP van driving close (to me looks like more than a meter away but heck who knows!) to a cyclist. To me that was pathetic! It looks like the Liberals are desperate to hold even Toronto Centre!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2011, 11:31:53 AM »

I think that was a wrong move made with good intensions... but in the end will benefit the NDP. Why? the NDP has a similar plan BUT isn't specific on immigrants but rather ALL ontarians...

From their policy book --> Reward Job creators... create a 10% tax credit for companies that invest in building, machinery and equipment.... create a training tax credit for companies to help their staff upgrade skills. Couple that with the NDP's plan to reduce the small business tax rate to 4%

And how will the liberals attach the NDP... with a video of the NDP van driving close (to me looks like more than a meter away but heck who knows!) to a cyclist. To me that was pathetic! It looks like the Liberals are desperate to hold even Toronto Centre!

If you believe 308, McGuinty might lose his own riding. Hopefully Dad's done.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »

... In this case i don't believe 308, I believe McGuinty will still win Ottawa South. His brother held it federally in May after their disaster of a showing so i think the "family" have some personal strength there.

In 95, when the NDP was decimated, Rae still held on to York South.

NOW i could be wrong... In May Ignatieff lost Etobicoke-Lakeshore and in 90, Liberal Premier Peterson lost his London Centre seat so it could happen. I really believe that many seats are going to come down to local candidates and local conditions, especially since there will be so many ridings in play
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies