ESPN SportsNation Maps.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:15:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  ESPN SportsNation Maps.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: ESPN SportsNation Maps.  (Read 30642 times)
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2013, 12:34:51 AM »

But usually if the Jazz makes the playoffs they have to play on Sundays, and when they do they sell-out. I don't that should be a problem if an NFL team in UT plays on Sundays. They can probably become the "Monday Night" team if there becomes a problem with Sunday attendance.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2013, 12:54:47 AM »

First there needs to be a team in LA.

That's true. But so far Goddell is very reluctant to do so, in addiction to the current LA politics that doesn't give a damn about football.

Very likely under Goddell's leadership a medium sized city like San Antonio, Portland, and Salt Lake City are more likely going to have a team before LA.

The NFL needs to do exactly two things: the Los Angeles Raiders, and the San Antonio Jaguars. 

The Toronto Bills would be nice except that it would kill the CFL and that wouldn't really be sporting.  So they can stay in Buffalo and try and win the hearts of Ontario from across Niagara Falls, and if they really want to move to SLC or Portland or Virginia Beach someday then I guess that wouldn't be the end of the world.

(The Saints play in a metro area that's just about as small as Buffalo, but they have a much stronger regional draw, for many good reasons.  So they're fine in NO.)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2013, 07:50:03 AM »

That's true. But so far Goddell is very reluctant to do so, in addiction to the current LA politics that doesn't give a damn about football.

Very likely under Goddell's leadership a medium sized city like San Antonio, Portland, and Salt Lake City are more likely going to have a team before LA.

The NFL needs to do exactly two things: the Los Angeles Raiders, and the San Antonio Jaguars. 

The Toronto Bills would be nice except that it would kill the CFL and that wouldn't really be sporting.  So they can stay in Buffalo and try and win the hearts of Ontario from across Niagara Falls, and if they really want to move to SLC or Portland or Virginia Beach someday then I guess that wouldn't be the end of the world.

(The Saints play in a metro area that's just about as small as Buffalo, but they have a much stronger regional draw, for many good reasons.  So they're fine in NO.)

Oakland's fanbase is pretty hardcore.  I wouldn't move them. 

Jacksonville should move to LA.  Expand the league by a couple of teams when you want to head into San Antonio. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2013, 10:14:43 AM »

It's in the best interests of the NFL not to have a team in Los Angeles. Back in the '80s and early '90s, it was common for baseball teams to threaten to move to Tampa Bay in order to get a stadium from the metropolitan area anxious to keep them; the Giants did it and the White Sox did it and the Indians in Major League did it. When baseball actually put a team in Tampa Bay, they lost that ability.

Just about every team in the NFL looking for a new stadium has threatened to move to Los Angeles, and it's paid off for many of them, as they've gotten new stadiums. If the Jaguars were to move to Los Angeles, would teams threaten to move to Jacksonville? Such a claim would bear somewhat less weight than Los Angeles. The league would be shooting itself in the foot by removing that outlet.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2013, 12:55:53 PM »

It's in the best interests of the NFL not to have a team in Los Angeles. Back in the '80s and early '90s, it was common for baseball teams to threaten to move to Tampa Bay in order to get a stadium from the metropolitan area anxious to keep them; the Giants did it and the White Sox did it and the Indians in Major League did it. When baseball actually put a team in Tampa Bay, they lost that ability.

Just about every team in the NFL looking for a new stadium has threatened to move to Los Angeles, and it's paid off for many of them, as they've gotten new stadiums. If the Jaguars were to move to Los Angeles, would teams threaten to move to Jacksonville? Such a claim would bear somewhat less weight than Los Angeles. The league would be shooting itself in the foot by removing that outlet.

That's certainly a fair point to make, but the shrewd business tactics of Roger Goodell lead me to believe he and his bosses would have no problem finding an equally suitable city behind which to hide their extortion of the tax-payers living in NFL metros. Or they could just say LA wants two teams again.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2013, 11:48:12 PM »

They haven't really lost that ability, the city now the MLB teams usually threaten to move is San Antonio, Texas. The Miami Marlins 7 years ago nearly did that.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2013, 07:18:23 AM »

Jacksonville should move to LA.  Expand the league by a couple of teams when you want to head into San Antonio. 

Their fanbase may be hardcore, but it's actually really small from having to share the metro with the 49ers, and the Coliseum is actually a dump (unlike many of the stadiums that are perfectly usable but their owners want replacing), and Oakland does at least have history in LA.

I guess the Rams could always move back, too.  St. Louis is unique in how much more they care about baseball.  The only other city where people care more about MLB these days is, well, New York, and we're too large for that to be any sort of problem.  But it is a problem for the Rams.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2013, 11:19:14 AM »

Thank you, yes. Please stay out of Toronto.

Besides, I don't think the NFL would last in Toronto. They never sell out that silly game the Bills hold every year at the Rogers Centre.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2013, 12:59:42 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2013, 01:02:07 PM by Sbane »

Their fanbase may be hardcore, but it's actually really small from having to share the metro with the 49ers, and the Coliseum is actually a dump (unlike many of the stadiums that are perfectly usable but their owners want replacing), and Oakland does at least have history in LA.

I guess the Rams could always move back, too.  St. Louis is unique in how much more they care about baseball.  The only other city where people care more about MLB these days is, well, New York, and we're too large for that to be any sort of problem.  But it is a problem for the Rams.

The Raiders already have plenty of support in LA, and I wouldn't even be surprised if a majority of Raider supporters don't even live in the Bay Area. When people in LA choose a football team to cheer on, more choose the Raiders over the Chargers. Just look at how Raiders vs Chargers games are in San Diego. The crowd is split between supporters of the Raiders and Chargers.

Also, a lot of that hardcore fan base actually consists of Socal residents traveling up for games.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »

What is your stance on having the Super Bowl in cold-weather cities without a domed stadium?

For it: 56%
Against it: 44%

Obvious pattern is obvious?

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2013, 12:53:10 AM »

What is your stance on having the Super Bowl in cold-weather cities without a domed stadium?

I don't see it...
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »

I don't see it...

In the warmer climate states they are against it, and in the colder climate states they are for it.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2013, 09:39:17 AM »

Besides, I don't think the NFL would last in Toronto. They never sell out that silly game the Bills hold every year at the Rogers Centre.

If the NBA can last in Toronto, the NFL could.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2013, 11:13:58 AM »

If the NBA can last in Toronto, the NFL could.

Apples and oranges. There was no major professional basketball league and a culture surrounding it that exists solely in Canada.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2013, 01:15:41 PM »

People in Buffalo care about the Bills. People in Toronto don't. It's very simple.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2013, 05:54:18 PM »

Would you want your team to bring back a player who had been suspended for using PED's?

Yes is red.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »

Would you want your team to bring back a player who had been suspended for using PED's?

Yes is red.

Was a Packer suspended?
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2013, 07:53:06 PM »

Yes is red.

Was a Packer suspended?
Milwaukee brewers player ryan braun.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2013, 07:56:21 PM »

Yes is red.

Was a Packer suspended?

People in Wisconsin care about baseball? (I was making a joke Smiley. Probably too subtle...)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »

Yes is red.

Was a Packer suspended?

People in Wisconsin care about baseball? (I was making a joke Smiley. Probably too subtle...)

Watch the map turn red when other stars are suspended for the same thing.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2013, 09:39:13 PM »

Yeah, I was going to add that most of the people in the blue states are lying. As it seems we'll find out on Monday.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2013, 09:39:56 PM »

Yes is red.

Was a Packer suspended?

Watch the map turn red when other stars are suspended for the same thing.

I don't see NY turning red for A-Rod though. I think they'd prefer it that way. Tongue
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2013, 10:01:33 PM »

The Argonauts, Alouettes, and BC Lions should defect to the NFL, and as reparation, the NFL should completely finance the CFL, getting it back up t0 10-12 teams and encouring teams to at least somewhat use the CFL like a developmental league (but not a full-fledged minor league).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2013, 10:17:45 PM »

The Argonauts, Alouettes, and BC Lions should defect to the NFL, and as reparation, the NFL should completely finance the CFL, getting it back up t0 10-12 teams and encouring teams to at least somewhat use the CFL like a developmental league (but not a full-fledged minor league).

No.

I do support a 12 team CFL though, but not as a "developmental league"

Put teams in Quebec City, Halifax and London (plus Ottawa which will get a team next season).
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2013, 10:19:06 PM »

No.

I do support a 12 team CFL though, but not as a "developmental league"

Put teams in Quebec City, Halifax and London (plus Ottawa which will get a team next season).

How can there be a 9-team league?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies