Dem Pollster Pat Caddell: "I have lived this nightmare"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:12:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Dem Pollster Pat Caddell: "I have lived this nightmare"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Dem Pollster Pat Caddell: "I have lived this nightmare"  (Read 7208 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:01:31 PM »
« edited: August 16, 2011, 11:03:15 PM by Reaganfan »

Democratic Pollster from the Carter administration Pat Caddell had some strong concerns last night regarding the way liberals in the party have reflected on the Tea Party.

"I thought that the attack on the Tea Party is a political libel in the sense that these are Americans, individuals who are concerned that their country is in decline and going under. This attack on the American people is outrageous! The problem for liberal government is -- as a liberal, I will tell you -- proving that it works. You cannot have failure and then tell people they want more.

I feel like this is Yogi Berra, and for me it's "deja vu all over again." I have lived this nightmare, which is no one has an economic answer. His numbers are plummeting."

In the last several weeks, Caddell has also warned Obama supporters and the campaign not to just try and expect to win because "the other side is worse."

"The White House is counting on a campaign strategy which I lived through myself in 1980, which is "we will just demonize the opposition", or as the slogan someone said in 1980, I threw up my hands one day at a meeting in the White House and said, "What is our slogan, 'it could be worse'?"
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 11:29:52 PM »

So says Fox's favorite ex-Democratic pollster. The same guy that helped market New Coke.

Pat Caddell is a cringeworthy joke unworthy of consideration.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 11:43:21 PM »

So says Fox's favorite ex-Democratic pollster. The same guy that helped market New Coke.

He is often right.  Let's see, the Carter analogy.  So far it's Caddell, Doud, and J. J.  I wonder when Chris "Captain Malaise" Mathews will weigh in.

I just saw Rasmussen generic congressional ballot.  Not good news for Obama.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 12:07:41 AM »

He is often right.  Let's see, the Carter analogy.  So far it's Caddell, Doud, and J. J.  I wonder when Chris "Captain Malaise" Mathews will weigh in.

Chris Matthews. Used to be the anchor I watched until around 2001.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 12:12:08 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2011, 12:17:26 AM by Torie »

Pat might be right here, but he lets his emotions, and biographical history, sometimes get in the way of his better judgment. Pat is an interesting figure however. He's outside the box.

As to Obama's strategy, what are the alternatives? He's banking on getting a nutter/inspires no confidence as POTUS type, to beat up. He lacks the self confidence and imagination to focus on being an effective, and if done right, perhaps great President. He's unwilling to get out of his comfort zone. He would probably be a much better President if he were my age. I'm serious about that. I would be a substantially better President now, than a dozen years ago. Really.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 12:16:26 AM »

Your posts are so original.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 12:18:02 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2011, 12:20:06 AM by Reaganfan »

Even with an independent thinking cap on, I find myself shaking my head when reading these posts where the Obama supporters are convinced, almost to an arrogance, that no matter how bad unemployment is and no matter who the Republicans nominate, that Obama will win and win big.

When I saw Pat Caddell's comments I realized he said what I was trying to get across. Democrats will lose and potentially lose badly if their strategy is to "demonize" the other side and say, "vote for us, it could be worse." It seems by what they say about Romney and Perry and Bachmann and Paul and Ryan and all of the GOP contenders is that is exactly how they plan on shaping the next election. If that is the case, Grant Park will be pretty depressing come morning November 7th.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 12:24:06 AM »

Even with an independent thinking cap on, I find myself shaking my head when reading these posts where the Obama supporters are convinced, almost to an arrogance, that no matter how bad unemployment is and no matter who the Republicans nominate, that Obama will win and win big.

When I saw Pat Caddell's comments I realized he said what I was trying to get across. Democrats will lose and potentially lose badly if their strategy is to "demonize" the other side and say, "vote for us, it could be worse." It seems by what they say about Romney and Perry and Bachmann and Paul and Ryan and all of the GOP contenders is that is exactly how they plan on shaping the next election. If that is the case, Grant Park will be pretty depressing come morning November 7th.

Well, duh, "Vote Obama, he's the slightly less evil of two evils isn't going to cut it". Or "Vote Obama because he can give a good speech". It's pretty sad that the only reason why anyone would want Obama re-elected is that the alternative is worse.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 12:26:58 AM »

Bush '04 was based in large part on demonizing John Kerry. There have been countless successful campaigns based upon demonizing the opponent. The fact that Carter lost does not automatically mean Obama will lose. Your way of thinking about the election is just a simplistic as the way of the supposed Obama supporters on here you are complaining about.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 12:38:06 AM »

Bush '04 was based in large part on demonizing John Kerry. There have been countless successful campaigns based upon demonizing the opponent. The fact that Carter lost does not automatically mean Obama will lose. Your way of thinking about the election is just a simplistic as the way of the supposed Obama supporters on here you are complaining about.

Bush '04 was seen as reflecting on Bush's leadership since 9/11 against terrorism. What are Obama's re-election touting accomplishments?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 01:11:23 AM »

Bush '04 was seen as reflecting on Bush's leadership since 9/11 against terrorism. What are Obama's re-election touting accomplishments?

Actually killing bin Laden?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 01:19:37 AM »

Yes. Name another.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 01:27:02 AM »

Do him and Dick Morris have Vermont going back to its Reagan roots and voting for Michelle Bachmann over Obama, too?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 01:30:04 AM »

Yes. Name another.

Shouldn't that be enough for leading on terrorism?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 01:33:35 AM »

Yes. Name another.

That's not the point. Name more accomplishments.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 01:35:58 AM »

Yes. Name another.

You name more accomplishments for Bush '04 first.  The score is 1-1.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 02:12:40 AM »

Yes. Name another.

You name more accomplishments for Bush '04 first.  The score is 1-1.

- Creation of the Department of Homeland Security
- Invading Afghanistan and helping push the Taliban out of Kabul
- The Capture of Saddam Hussien
- Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act
- President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief
- No Child Left Behind Act
- Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 02:17:32 AM »

"I thought that the attack on the Tea Party is a political libel in the sense that these are Americans, individuals who are concerned that their country is in decline and going under.

Aaanndd this is where I stopped reading the ravings of an obvious hack.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 02:26:37 AM »

"I thought that the attack on the Tea Party is a political libel in the sense that these are Americans, individuals who are concerned that their country is in decline and going under.

He is a liberal Democrat.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 02:35:50 AM »

He is a liberal Democrat.

Irrelevant. The statement that he made is meaningless; I doubt that there is any politically motivated group that is not concerned about the direction of our country is some manner or another. To paint Tea Party members, who are implied to be the only people concerned about the direction of the country in the statement, somehow as victims because they have been politically attacked by some other group is intellectually deceitful and hackish. One counld just as easily paint liberals attacked by tea partiers as the martyrs in this story; the point is that either depiction is at best a half-truth that insults the intelligence of anyone who understands anything about American politics.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 02:41:50 AM »

So if this is like 1980 according to Caddell, who's going to be the John Anderson of 2012?
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 02:46:50 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2011, 02:48:54 AM by captain copernicus »

Hello, all. I'm a lurker, but the relentless jet stream of bullsh**t emanating from Ohio has compelled me to register.

Name one accomplishment? I'll give you ten, good sir.

1. Passed comprehensive health reform
2. Saved the American automobile industry, and with it the entire Midwest.
3. Successfully/responsibly scaled down and then ended the War in Iraq, as promised
4. Passed major financial reform
5. Stopped the US economy from falling off a cliff in early 2009, leading to net job creation by mid-2009
6. Turned around the war in Afghanistan
7. Killed Osama Bin laden
8. Prevented mass murder/genocide/human rights catastrophe in Libya
9. Successfully isolated Iran diplomatically, gaining assistance from Russia and China
10. Restored America's image around the world

Anyway, there's no need for liberals to panic about Obama's re-election prospects. Its going to be a tough fight, and he's going to lose some states that he won in 2008. But I'm still optimistic that he's going to get across the finish line. The last thing the left should do is start panicking.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 03:08:03 AM »

A lot of times he's right... he's honest about what ends up hurting the party.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 03:15:30 AM »

Yes. Name another.

You name more accomplishments for Bush '04 first.  The score is 1-1.

- Creation of the Department of Homeland Security
- Invading Afghanistan and helping push the Taliban out of Kabul
- The Capture of Saddam Hussien
- Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act
- President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief
- No Child Left Behind Act
- Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act

The Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act is the only thing you listed that isn't less popular than Obamacare at the moment.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 03:57:05 AM »

Hello, all. I'm a lurker, but the relentless jet stream of bullsh**t emanating from Ohio has compelled me to register.

Name one accomplishment? I'll give you ten, good sir.

1. Passed comprehensive health reform
2. Saved the American automobile industry, and with it the entire Midwest.
3. Successfully/responsibly scaled down and then ended the War in Iraq, as promised
4. Passed major financial reform
5. Stopped the US economy from falling off a cliff in early 2009, leading to net job creation by mid-2009
6. Turned around the war in Afghanistan
7. Killed Osama Bin laden
8. Prevented mass murder/genocide/human rights catastrophe in Libya
9. Successfully isolated Iran diplomatically, gaining assistance from Russia and China
10. Restored America's image around the world

Anyway, there's no need for liberals to panic about Obama's re-election prospects. Its going to be a tough fight, and he's going to lose some states that he won in 2008. But I'm still optimistic that he's going to get across the finish line. The last thing the left should do is start panicking.

Wait, no START treaty and DADT repeal??
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies