Gay Marriage in Scotland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:33:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Gay Marriage in Scotland
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay Marriage in Scotland  (Read 1373 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:46:47 AM »

This issue is likely to be the major social issue in Scotland for the remainder of this year. The SNP are commited to holding a consultation beginning in the next few weeks likely to recommend the extension of marriage (including religious marriage) to gay couples and to debate whether existing civil partnership legislation should be superceded by this or opened up to non gay couples.

Unlike in 2004 when the issue was debated in Parliament, the SNP will be unlikely to support the 'Sewel Notion' which volunteers legislative reponsibility back to Westminster should the Scottish Parliament agree.

Last week the results of the government sponsored Scottish Social Attitudes Survey revealed that 61% of the public supported gay marriage with only 19% disagreeing. Less accepting attitudes were found amongst over 65's, the religious and people with low levels of education.

Not surprisingly while some of the most ardent support for gay marriage come from the SNP benches so too does opposition (For purely political reasons the Tories and the awkward squad of Catholic Labour MSP's have kept silent so far) John Mason MSP proposed a motion that no religous organisation or no individual would be required to perform gay marriages. This has been signed by SNP MSP's Bill Walker, Richard Lyle and Dave Thompson.

This seems a reasonable position but is ignorant of the law as it stands. No religious organisation is legally obliged to perform any marriage it doesn't wish to. On the matter of 'individual' the same is true if that individual is a priest, minister, rabbi etc. The same exemption that allows the Catholic Church to refuse to marry divorcees will be used to allow them to refuse to marry gays. The problem with the current law is not only that civil partnerships are now seen as a 'seperate equality' but the UK wide law refusing to allow religious celebrants to be involved in civil partnerships made an assumption that should not have been made; many religious bodies do wish to celebrate gay relationships.

More as things develop Cheesy

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 10:56:40 AM »

Mason's loud opposition is from modern evangelical oddery rather than traditional Presbyterian homophobia, right? Same true of the others, or not?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:38:58 AM »

Mason's loud opposition is from modern evangelical oddery rather than traditional Presbyterian homophobia, right? Same true of the others, or not?

Well, he's a Baptist, so it can't be motivated by Presbyterianism. Not sure what his church is like.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »

Well, he's a Baptist, so it can't be motivated by Presbyterianism. Not sure what his church is like.

Ah, so I think I remembered right. Happy Clappy, in that case.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:05:57 PM »

Smiley
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 01:39:58 PM »

Ah, so I think I remembered right. Happy Clappy, in that case.

Yes. No news on the others who I think are all a 2011 intake. Nothing from Brian Adam the Mormon SNP MSP for Aberdeen Donside. The other 'usual' suspects are Fergus Ewing and Roseanna Cunningham.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 02:12:44 PM »

Presbyterian homophobia? The PCUSA does allow gays to become pastors, is this different in Scotland?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 02:22:28 PM »

Speaking as a Scot this would make me very proud if it was passed which it probably will be.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 02:38:05 PM »

Speaking as a Scot this would make me very proud if it was passed which it probably will be.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
JonBidinger
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 03:55:39 PM »

I was really hoping that this would get on the agenda after the smashing victory of the SNP in the election. I think that this represents the most likely next country to legalize marriage equality in Europe after hopes appear to be dashed in Finland and who knows what is going on in Luxembourg.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 05:09:45 PM »

I was really hoping that this would get on the agenda after the smashing victory of the SNP in the election. I think that this represents the most likely next country to legalize marriage equality in Europe after hopes appear to be dashed in Finland and who knows what is going on in Luxembourg.

It is highly likely that it will. Alex Salmond gave strong public backing to it (Iain Gray, Labour's leader was more reserved) and the votes are there.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 05:47:43 PM »

It is highly likely that it will. Alex Salmond gave strong public backing to it (Iain Gray, Labour's leader was more reserved) and the votes are there.

If you count the lib dems the greens and Margo (not sure of her position on it but its probably yes) as yes votes then you only need about 60% of the labour  and the SNP, if it came to a vote I'd be very confident of it passing, the socially liberal parties just have to much of a majority.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14764707

Consultation is launched.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 01:09:50 PM »

Anything to make Scotland more different from England is a-OK by me. Smiley
Well, anything not repulsive on other grounds. Gay marriage certainly doesn't qualify. I have to ask though - are there a number of meaningful (adoption rights, taxes, pensions, whatever. That sort of thing) differences between current British civil partnership and marriage?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 11:22:47 AM »

Anything to make Scotland more different from England is a-OK by me. Smiley
Well, anything not repulsive on other grounds. Gay marriage certainly doesn't qualify. I have to ask though - are there a number of meaningful (adoption rights, taxes, pensions, whatever. That sort of thing) differences between current British civil partnership and marriage?

There are absolutely no differences; except one is a marriage and the other isn't. Which immediately made it pointless to have the distinction. Granted it was a concession made to get what many thought would be a political hot potato through the Houses. Opposition then was token, now it's bordering on the non-existant.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »

Ah, then I don't care about the outcome of this consultation. Azn (Though I would vote in favor of the change if I were an MSP.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies