What Should The Age of Consent Be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:14:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What Should The Age of Consent Be?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ...
21+

12-

None

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: What Should The Age of Consent Be?  (Read 5350 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:55:40 PM »

Go
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:29:35 AM »

I'm not really comfortable with having blanket ages for things because individuals are so different in their competency and teenagers are way more capable than typically assumed now (or at least, when treated with respect they are). Although if I had to set an age limit, I'd probably change it to something like 13 or 16 with age based exceptions so teens could have sex without one or both of them having to worry about being on a public sex offender list the rest of their life.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:35:03 AM »

I'm not really comfortable with having blanket ages for things because individuals are so different in their competency and teenagers are way more capable than typically assumed now (or at least, when treated with respect they are). Although if I had to set an age limit, I'd probably change it to something like 13 or 16 with age based exceptions so teens could have sex without one or both of them having to worry about being on a public sex offender list the rest of their life.

That's actually how I feel.  I think that, ideally, things like this should be considered on a case-by-case basis.  There are plenty of youngins who are quite like what we'd consider "mature" and "grown up," and then there are people my age who aren't that much more "mature" than a sixteen year old.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:39:02 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2011, 12:46:37 AM by paul who is a ghost »

That's actually how I feel.  I think that, ideally, things like this should be considered on a case-by-case basis.  There are plenty of youngins who are quite like what we'd consider "mature" and "grown up," and then there are people my age who aren't that much more "mature" than a sixteen year old.

Yeah, although obviously that's problematic. Enforcing the varying ages we have now is already a headache especially with the amount of people that lie or have fake IDs. Just imagine having to guess who was ruled competent without even having a generalization like age to fall back on.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:44:41 AM »

Yeah, although obviously that's problematic. Enforcing the varying ages we have now is already a headache especially with the amount of people that lie or have fake IDs. Just imagine having to guess who was ruled competent without even having a generalization like age to fall back on.

Oh, of course, which is why I said ideally.  But actually, what I had in mind was something where individual cases of possible statutory rape and such are treated in such a way, rather than everyone taking a "capability to consent to sex" test every year, or somesuch.  Though that too would be problematic.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:48:28 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2011, 12:59:25 AM by paul who is a ghost »

Agreed. In any event, calling teenagers 'children' who can't make their own decisions is ridiculous and has no basis in human nature or how societies have functioned (up until maybe 20th century) at all. Worse still, almost everyone knows it given how it's expected people will lose their virginity sometime before their 20s and all those people who make comments about 'wishing they had a teacher like that' when Letourneau-type cases happen. It's just another example of how hypocritical and authoritarian American society really is now (and to some extent always was).
Link
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 12:53:50 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2011, 12:57:34 AM by Link »

I would make it 18 for sex work.

If its a couple of teenagers having sex with each other then I guess I would make it ok if they were withing 1-2 years of age.

If the woman is below 18 then I would not allow her to have sex with anyone who was older than 19.

The problem you run into is that a lot of these 16 year old pregnant high school drop outs have kids with men much older than themselves.  If you kept the 25 year olds away from the 16 year olds it would certainly help the problem.

As for the MILF phenomenon that is sweeping the nation there should be a law that states if a woman is impregnated by a teenager 8 years younger than her he has no child support responsibilities, ever.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 01:01:43 AM »

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 01:04:09 AM »

As for the MILF phenomenon that is sweeping the nation there should be a law that states if a woman is impregnated by a teenager 8 years younger than her he has no child support responsibilities, ever.

Oh cool so I could bang that 31 year old Swedish chick without contraceptives.  I know what you meant, I'm just having fun.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 01:10:17 AM »

Eh, 17 is about right. 15 or even 16 sounds just a little bit too young.
Link
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 01:14:28 AM »

Oh cool so I could bang that 31 year old Swedish chick without contraceptives.  I know what you meant, I'm just having fun.

Yes.  If you are a teenager have at it.  I'm serious.

Although I must say Scandinavian women of any age in general probably wouldn't have sex with you without some type of contraception.  From my experience they are VERY on the ball about that sort of thing.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 01:19:51 AM »

Although I must say Scandinavian women of any age in general probably wouldn't have sex with you without some type of contraception.  From my experience they are VERY on the ball about that sort of thing.

She thinks I'm a freak anyways.

And I'm nineteen.  I assumed you meant under eighteen, but I was just having fun because you said "teenager," which includes eighteen and nineteen.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 01:21:17 AM »

18, unless both involved are within two years of age. But it should really only apply to men, MILFs can f**k all the underage boys (or girls if they are lesbian) they want, even if they are that kid's teacher.

Also no marriage should be recognized if the man's age is greater than double the woman's/other man's age minus seven years. Older women can still marry young guys though, and lesbians can marry whatever. But no one under 18 can be married under absolutely any circumstances whatsoever.
Link
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 01:39:25 AM »

And I'm nineteen.  I assumed you meant under eighteen, but I was just having fun because you said "teenager," which includes eighteen and nineteen.

Oh, got ya.  I wasn't even thinking.

But in all seriousness is this Swede fine?  I would hit that.  With a condom of course.  Hit it and come back and tell us about it, but only if she's hot.  If she's not hot don't do it.  Or at least don't tell us about it.  I await your report.
Link
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 01:42:26 AM »

18, unless both involved are within two years of age. But it should really only apply to men, MILFs can f**k all the underage boys (or girls if they are lesbian) they want, even if they are that kid's teacher.

Also no marriage should be recognized if the man's age is greater than double the woman's/other man's age minus seven years. Older women can still marry young guys though, and lesbians can marry whatever. But no one under 18 can be married under absolutely any circumstances whatsoever.

DAMN!!! Are you a MILF or just a MILF fetishist?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 01:43:48 AM »

Well I'm seeing a woman who has a son the same age as my brother... Smiley
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 01:49:13 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2011, 01:52:26 AM by Sic Semper Tyrannis »

Yes.  If you are a teenager have at it.  I'm serious.

Although I must say Scandinavian women of any age in general probably wouldn't have sex with you without some type of contraception.  From my experience they are VERY on the ball about that sort of thing.

And I'm nineteen.  I assumed you meant under eighteen, but I was just having fun because you said "teenager," which includes eighteen and nineteen.

Oh, got ya.  I wasn't even thinking.

But in all seriousness is this Swede fine?  I would hit that.  With a condom of course.  Hit it and come back and tell us about it, but only if she's hot.  If she's not hot don't do it.  Or at least don't tell us about it.  I await your report.

She looks like an older, blonde Alice Glass, with the same clothing style.  I can PM you a picture of her if you'd like.  She looks rather nice, in my opinion.

And, as I said, she thinks I'm a freak.  Actually, she most likely just thinks of me as a dumb kid.  So even if I wanted to, I'll likely never be able to bang her.
Link
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 02:15:05 AM »

Well I'm seeing a woman who has a son the same age as my brother... Smiley

Excellent.

This is sooo much better than talking about politics. 
Link
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 02:17:49 AM »

Although I must say Scandinavian women of any age in general probably wouldn't have sex with you without some type of contraception.  From my experience they are VERY on the ball about that sort of thing.

And I'm nineteen.  I assumed you meant under eighteen, but I was just having fun because you said "teenager," which includes eighteen and nineteen.

But in all seriousness is this Swede fine?  I would hit that.  With a condom of course.  Hit it and come back and tell us about it, but only if she's hot.  If she's not hot don't do it.  Or at least don't tell us about it.  I await your report.

She looks like an older, blonde Alice Glass, with the same clothing style.  I can PM you a picture of her if you'd like.  She looks rather nice, in my opinion.

And, as I said, she thinks I'm a freak.  Actually, she most likely just thinks of me as a dumb kid.  So even if I wanted to, I'll likely never be able to bang her.

Definitely PM that thing.  I need to see what we're working with here.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 02:30:22 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2011, 02:33:24 AM by Sic Semper Tyrannis »

She looks like an older, blonde Alice Glass, with the same clothing style.  I can PM you a picture of her if you'd like.  She looks rather nice, in my opinion.

Definitely PM that thing.  I need to see what we're working with here.

Sent

Though, I don't know if I could ever speak to her again.  I'd die from embarrassment.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 02:32:14 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2011, 02:41:22 AM by Rip Marky Mark »

I love the hypocrisy in this thread.

As for the age of consent...........how does NONE sound?
Link
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 02:45:54 AM »

She looks like an older, blonde Alice Glass, with the same clothing style.  I can PM you a picture of her if you'd like.  She looks rather nice, in my opinion.

Sent

Though, I don't know if I could ever speak to her again.  I'd die from embarrassment.

Got it.  I sent a reply.  She seems nice.  Life sucks sometimes.  But it will get better.
Link
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 02:53:07 AM »

Like a recipe for disaster.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I suppose the name could be changed from "age of consent."  Or perhaps the "age of consent" could be set at 14 and there could be a different categories for older girls.  Even if a girl gives her consent there needs to be some type of law in place to prevent a 22 year old male from having sex with a 16 year old girl.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 03:07:04 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2011, 03:36:38 AM by Rip Marky Mark »

Like a recipe for disaster.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I suppose the name could be changed from "age of consent."  Or perhaps the "age of consent" could be set at 14 and there could be a different categories for older girls.  Even if a girl gives her consent there needs to be some type of law in place to prevent a 22 year old male from having sex with a 16 year old girl.

Hmm that's odd, so you're pretty much implying that only girls can get raped or taken advantage of?
I'm sorry, but the type of suggestion you and others are advancing is pure blatant sexism.  Only grown women should be able to have sex with people underage?  I mean really, how is that not inconsistent logic?
Also, what about the half of the million who are not in their twenties or older who do get teenage girls pregnant?  Why is it so important for you to focus on the guys who are over 20 who happen to be the father in teenage pregnancies anyway?  I mean considering that "half" of the million pregnancies are over 20 and the age range you're talking about girls is ages 15-17 that means that there are about as much (give or take on the half) guys in the age range of 11-19 who are knocking up the teenage girls as the OVER 20 crowd.  I could possibly understand a guy who is like 40 but a 22 year old having sex with a 16 year old?  Really dude?
Also, in your own quoted source it is mentioned that "many", not just a few, of the girls have sex willingly with older men.  It only mentions that "others are doing it against their will", kind of like how in Russia there are women who are having sex against their will or how there are some Hispanic women having sex against their will.  Maybe we should create laws preventing men from having sex with women in Russia or Hispanic women?

Fact: Guys mature slower than girls.  If anything a 22 year old male having sex with a 16 year old girl is *gasp* more natural than a 22 year old female having sex with a 16 year old boy.  That is NATURE, not my own personal bias talking.  But of course like I mentioned earlier I'm in favor of consistent and equal enforcement of laws, not the "feel-good" method.

EDIT: Just realized I made booboo in original post.
EDIT: Yeah, double booboo.
EDIT: Reworded some of the post after I realized it might come off a little too harsh.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 03:11:34 AM »

Sent

Got it.  I sent a reply.  She seems nice.  Life sucks sometimes.  But it will get better.

And I replied back.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies