How much do you know about United Kingdom politics [and history]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 01:54:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How much do you know about United Kingdom politics [and history]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: How much do you know about United Kingdom politics [and history]  (Read 11440 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »

bangor, Caernarffon, Pwllheli, uh... a couple more.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »

Criccieth, Pwllheli, Nefyn, Caernarfon, Bangor, Llanfairfechan, Penmaenmawr, Conwy (including Deganwy and Llandudno Junction) and Llandudno.

It's that bit at the end that explains why it went Tory in 1945.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »

republicanism gets two out of a possible four.

Hashemite gets minus twenty two million for getting question twenty two catastrophically wrong. But, actually, gets two and a half out of a possible something.

Refudiate gets nine out of a possible something or other.

Lewis gets six and a half out of a possible smaller number. I'm going to assume he said twenty two right.

And I get called a bastard for setting horrible questions.

Half points have been given sometimes when an answer is kind of close-ish, you know. It's also possible that proper points have been added wrong. I did basically fail maths at school, you see, and that's my excuse.

Anyway, should I post the answers in white type here or PM them to people who have answered already?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2011, 03:36:22 PM »

I'm not even going to try, but is the constituency that has elected members of four different parties Fermanagh and South Tyrone?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »

I'm not even going to try, but is the constituency that has elected members of four different parties Fermanagh and South Tyrone?

Like adverts on television, Northern Ireland is not included.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2011, 03:58:27 PM »

1 - Who is the Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? David Cameron What party are they from? Conservatives

2 - Name the two houses of the British Parliament. House of Lords, House of Commons

3 - Who is the current Leader of the Opposition Ed Miliband and what party is he from? Labour

4 - What parties make up the current government? Conservatives, Liberal Democrats

5 - Name 3 parties, which are have MPs, outside of the three largest parties. Greens, Scottish National Party, United Kingdom Independence Party?

6 - Prior to the current Prime Minister, who was the Prime Minister Gordon Brown and from what party was he from? Labour

HISTORICAL

7 - What was the main right-wing party in Scotland until the mid-60s? Uh, the Conservatives?

8 - Which office gives the holder the official residence of 10 Downing Street? [hint: it's not as obvious as you'd think] Prime Minister Oh, the hint. ...The Lord of the Treasury?

9 - Who was Britain's longest serving Prime Minister? Uh...William Gladstone?

10 - Since 1900, which party, under which leader, won the most seats, and, which party did he represent? Labour, Tony Blair (1997)

11 - What was Labour's official campaign song in the 1997 election? ...No idea.

12 - When did Labour first enter government, under which Prime Minister? Ramsay McDonald...no idea about the year. 1924?

13 - Who made up the so-called 'Gang of 4' I don't know and what did they do together? Same.

14 - Which Prime Minister had a trademark smoking pipe? No idea.

DEVOLUTION

15 - Scotland. Who was the first First Minister of Scotland? I don't know.

16 - Scotland. Who is the only First Minister to have won a parliamentary majority? No idea.

17 - Wales. Who's the current First Minister of Wales? No idea.

18 - Northern Ireland. Who's the current Deputy First Minister? I don't know.

DIFFICULT

19 - What event did Tony Blair say "wasn't a day for sound bites"? Uh...September 11 2001?

20 - Name one of the four Communist MPs who were elected. Can't.

21 - What are the other names that the Liberal Democrats have taken, in their various forms? SDP-Liberal Alliance

22 - Who were the five candidates in the last Labour leadership election? [Bonus: Their current offices] Ed Miliband, David Miliband, Ed Balls, Diane Abbott and I don't know the fifth.

23 - What was Margaret Thatcher most famous (or, you might say, infamous) for before she became the leader of her party? I have no idea.

24 - What's the literal seat of the Lord Speaker? No idea.

IMPOSSIBLE

25 - What part of Westminister Palace was the House of Commons originally? Don't know.

26 - Who was the only Prime Minister not to speak English as a first language? David Lloyd George

27 - What constituency did the leader of the BNP run in and who beat him, in the 2010 election? No idea.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2011, 07:48:07 PM by ObserverIE »

Some questions of my own now...

Easy

1. Which party won the 1959 General Election? Conservatives

2. Who was the first Leader of the Labour Party? Keir Hardie

3. Name the constituencies of the leaders of the three largest parties in the Commons. Witney, Doncaster North, Sheffield Hallam

4. Who is the current Father of the House? Peter Tapsell

Shouldn't be so hard

5. What was the name of the constituency represented by Harold Wilson from 1950 until 1983? Huyton

6. What do Stoke-on-Trent and Bournemouth have in common? All seats in the city won by the same party at every election since year X

7. Who were the following (points for each, I suppose)... Anthony Barber, Dai Grenfell, Cyril Smith, Cecil Parkinson, Billy Wolfe and Tony Crosland.

Barber was Heath's Chancellor of the Exchequer
Grenfell - no idea
Smith - heavyweight Liberal MP for Rochdale
Parkinson - Tory cabinet minister and party chairman who resigned over getting his secretary pregnant
Wolfe - SNP leader?
Crosland - Labour cabinet minister (Foreign Secretary) who died in office

8. What connects T. Dan Smith, Andy Cunningham and Reginald Maulding? Bonus points for knowing who Cunningham was, because most people don't.

Poulson corruption scandal in the 1970s. Cunningham was a Labour party boss whose son was MP for Whitehaven/Copeland.

9. Only one constituency has elected members of four separate political parties since 1945. Name it. Anglesey/Ynys Mon

Maybe slightly trickier. To do with candidates.

10. In which city did the Ted Dexter (captain of the England Cricket Team) unsuccessfully stand for the Conservatives in 1964? Bonus points for naming the constituency and the candidate that beat him. Cardiff South, James Callaghan

11. Which future television playwright was the unsuccessful Labour candidate at East Hertfordshire in the same election? Bonus point for naming the work he wrote based on his experiences as a candidate. Dennis Potter, Vote Vote Vote for Nigel Barton

12. C.B. Fry was a frequent candidate for which major political party during the inter-war period? Liberals

13. Bob Edwards was the leader of the ILP Contingent during the Spanish Civil War and later served as a Labour MP for thirty two years. To which constituency in the Black Country was he first elected for in 1955? Bilston

Fairly hard, I guess.

14. Which sleepy Cathedral City came within 51 votes of electing a Communist MP in 1922? Possible bonus points for a couple of related things. Bath?

15. Name the last Conservative MP for a Manchester constituency. Fred Silvester (Withington, 1983)

16. Who was Austin Donohue in Our Friends in the North based on? Actually this is pretty easy question if you've seen it. T. Dan Smith

17. Which Labour MP had a brief cameo in Edge of Darkness? Again, if you've seen it... Chris Mullin?

18. Who was Sir Herbert Manzoni? Not a clue

19. Which future Prime Minister ordered troops to fire on striking Yorkshire miners? Churchill was South Wales miners, no? I'll try Eden.

20. Who was the MP for Meirionnydd when cult TV classic The Prisoner was filmed in the constituency in the late 1960s? Goronwy Roberts

21. Who represented Hunslet when The Uses of Literacy was first published? Hugh Gaitskell?

Very Important Question

22. Pronounce 'Gala' in the context of the Big Meeting. Gey-lah?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2011, 08:58:49 PM »

Impressive; 24 out of a possible something or other.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2011, 01:54:54 AM »

Like adverts on television, Northern Ireland is not included.

I'm not familiar with those adverts, though.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2011, 08:57:28 AM »

GENERAL

1 - Who is the Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? What party are they from?

David Cameron, Conservatives

2 - Name the two houses of the British Parliament.

Houses of Common and Lords

3 - Who is the current Leader of the Opposition and what party is he from?

Ed Miliband, Labour

4 - What parties make up the current government?

Tories and LibDems

5 - Name 3 parties, which are have MPs, outside of the three largest parties.

SNP, Plaid Cymru, Sinn Fein?

6 - Prior to the current Prime Minister, who was the Prime Minister and from what party was he from?

Gordon Brown, Labour

HISTORICAL

7 - What was the main right-wing party in Scotland until the mid-60s?

Tories?

8 - Which office gives the holder the official residence of 10 Downing Street? [hint: it's not as obvious as you'd think]

First Lord of the Exchequer?

9 - Who was Britain's longest serving Prime Minister?

Hmmn. Thatcher?

10 - Since 1900, which party, under which leader, won the most seats, and, which party did he represent?

Labour, Tony Blair.

11 - What was Labour's official campaign song in the 1997 election?

12 - When did Labour first enter government, under which Prime Minister?

192...3?

13 - Who made up the so-called 'Gang of 4' and what did they do together?

14 - Which Prime Minister had a trademark smoking pipe?

DEVOLUTION

15 - Scotland. Who was the first First Minister of Scotland?

16 - Scotland. Who is the only First Minister to have won a parliamentary majority?

17 - Wales. Who's the current First Minister of Wales?

18 - Northern Ireland. Who's the current Deputy First Minister?

DIFFICULT

19 - What event did Tony Blair say "wasn't a day for sound bites"?

Diana's death?

20 - Name one of the four Communist MPs who were elected.

21 - What are the other names that the Liberal Democrats have taken, in their various forms?

Liberals, SDP.

22 - Who were the five candidates in the last Labour leadership election? [Bonus: Their current offices]

23 - What was Margaret Thatcher most famous (or, you might say, infamous) for before she became the leader of her party?

Milk in schools.

24 - What's the literal seat of the Lord Speaker?

IMPOSSIBLE

25 - What part of Westminister Palace was the House of Commons originally?

Throne room?

26 - Who was the only Prime Minister not to speak English as a first language?

Disraeli?

27 - What constituency did the leader of the BNP run in and who beat him, in the 2010 election?

B...b...Boston?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2011, 11:21:44 AM »

Sending out answers now. Except that I forgot to add who Billy Wolfe was. So I'll put it here instead, he was the leader of the SNP in the 1970s and is generally credited with turning the party into a proper political party, focused on elections. Never actually an MP despite leading the SNP into their best General Election to date (October 1974) as he always ran against Tam Dalyell rather than seek somewhere easier.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2011, 09:21:43 AM »

Bump.

Here are some questions of my own....

PRESENT DAY:

1. In percentage terms, in which constituency did Labour achieve their biggest majority in the 2010 General Election?

2. Name the current leader of the Green Party and the parliamentary constituency she represents.

3. A former Deputy Prime Minister became a peer in 2010. Name him, his party and the government that he served in.

4. Which current Labour MP (in)famously supported George W. Bush's 2004 re-election campaign? A bonus point if you can name his/her constituency.

5. The current leader of the UK Independence Party made headlines when he contested a seat in the 2010 General Election. What happened to him on election day? Also, name the MP who he challenged and his position in the House of Commons. Bonus point if you can name the constituency.

HISTORICAL:

6. Which Labour Party leader made a conference speech during which he said "We will fight, fight and fight again to save the party we love!"? Bonus point for the year.

7. What do Stuart Randall and Peter Griffiths have in common? (Two points for this.)

8. Name the Prime Minister who many suspect was gay.

9. Who are/were the following people?: Philip Snowden, James Prior, Barbara Castle, Desmond Donnelly, Donald Dewar.

10. Which Prime Minister is often misquoted as saying "You've never had it so good"?

11. Which former Home Secretary did Peter Hitchens once accuse of being a "cultural revolutionary"?

12. What was northworthy about Central Dunbartonshire in both of the 1974 General Elections?

Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2011, 12:59:02 PM »

1) David Cameron MP (Conservative)
2) House of Commons and House of Lords
3) Ed Milliband MP (Labour)
4) Conservatives and Liberal Democrats
5) Plaid Cymru, Scottish National Party, Green Party
6) Gordon Brown MP (Labour)
7) Pass
Cool First Lord of the Treasury
9) Pass
10) Liberals, Lloyd George
11) Things can only get better by D:Ream
12) 1929, Ramsay McDonald
13) David Owen, Shirley Williams, William Rodgers, Roy Jenkins (found the SDP)
14) Harold Wilson
15) Donald Dewar MSP
16) Alex Salmond MSP
17) Carwyn Jones AM
18) Martin McGuinness MLA
19) The Good Friday Agreement
20) Pass
21) Liberal Party, Liberal/SDP Alliance, Social and Liberal Democrats
22) Pass
23) Withdrawing free school milk
24) The Woolsack
25) Pass
26) Pass
27) Barking, Margaret Hodge MP
Chancellor of the Duchy of Little Lever and Darcy Lever
andrewteale
Romania

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »

You've reminded me, I had these questions asked to me a few weeks back in the final of a local quiz league competition.  The subject was 'The British General Election of 2010'.

I got 18.

1. Caroline Lucas won the seat of Brighton Pavilion for which party in the 2010 General Election?
2. How many Sinn Fein MPs were elected in the 2010 General Election, although they have yet to take their seats?
3. Who did Gordon Brown refer to as a 'sort of bigoted woman' when caught unawares on air during the 2010 Election campaign?
4. In which city was the second televised debate between the Party leaders in April 2010?
5. Who was the only Independent candidate elected in 2010, winning Down North by more than 14,000 votes?
6. How many MPs formed the new Parliament?
7. In which constituency was Speaker John Bercow elected unopposed by any of the major Parties, as tradition dictates?
8. What was the title of the Conservative Party's 2010 election Manifesto?
9. Which Party Leader escaped serious injury in a 'plane crash on the day of the Election?
10. To within +/-15[%] what was the UK turnout in the 2010 General Election?
11. Which Labour Cabinet Minister held onto his Morley and Outwood Constituency with a much reduced majority?
12. Why was the election in the Thirsk and Malton Constituency postponed until May 27th?
13. Who was the outgoing Labour Chief Secretary to the Treasury who left a note for his successor saying "I am afraid there is no money.  Kind regards and good luck"?
14. Which Major Party's Election Manifesto was entitled "Change that works for you (Building a Fairer Britain)"?
15. How many seats did Labour lose in the 2010 Election?
16. Which multi-millionaire Tory candidate took the Richmond Park seat from the Liberal Democrats?
17. Nick Clegg, Chris Huhne, Danny Alexander, David Laws and which other Liberal Democrat were in the first Coalition Government?
18. Which North East Constituency won the race to make the first declaration in the 2010 General Election?
19. Which 80 year old Labour Conservative MP became the 'Father' of the new House?
20. Which seat did former Labour Home Secretary Jacqui Smith lose in the election?

Answers:

1. Green Party
2. Five
3. Gillian Duffy
4. Bristol
5. Lady Sylvia Hermon
6. 650
7. Buckingham
8. An Invitation to Join the Government of Britain
9. Nigel Farage
10. 65%
11. Ed Balls
12. The UKIP candidate died
13. Liam Byrne
14. Liberal Democrats
15. 94
16. Zac Goldsmith
17. Vince Cable
18. Houghton and Sunderland South
19. Sir Peter Tapsell
20. Redditch
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »

PRESENT DAY:
1. In percentage terms, in which constituency did Labour achieve their biggest majority in the 2010 General Election?
Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath?
2. Name the current leader of the Green Party and the parliamentary constituency she represents.
Caroline Lucas, Brighton Pavilion
3. A former Deputy Prime Minister became a peer in 2010. Name him, his party and the government that he served in.
John Prescott, Labour, Blair Ministry
4. Which current Labour MP (in)famously supported George W. Bush's 2004 re-election campaign? A bonus point if you can name his/her constituency.
?
5. The current leader of the UK Independence Party made headlines when he contested a seat in the 2010 General Election. What happened to him on election day? Also, name the MP who he challenged and his position in the House of Commons. Bonus point if you can name the constituency.
Nigel Farage challenged John Bercow, Speaker and MP for Buckingham. He was in a plane crash on election day

HISTORICAL:
6. Which Labour Party leader made a conference speech during which he said "We will fight, fight and fight again to save the party we love!"? Bonus point for the year.
Kinnock? 1989
7. What do Stuart Randall and Peter Griffiths have in common? (Two points for this.)
?
Ted Heath?
9. Who are/were the following people?: Philip Snowden, James Prior, Barbara Castle, Desmond Donnelly, Donald Dewar.
Jim Prior was a wet minister in the Thatcher ministry - Employment then Northern Ireland I think
Barbara Castle was a Labour Cabinet minister in the 60/70s. She was the transport minister who introduced the breathalyzer.
Donald Dewar was the Labour Secretary of State for Scotland under Blair and the first First Minister for Scotland.

10. Which Prime Minister is often misquoted as saying "You've never had it so good"?
Harold Macmillan
11. Which former Home Secretary did Peter Hitchens once accuse of being a "cultural revolutionary"?
David Blunkett?
12. What was northworthy about Central Dunbartonshire in both of the 1974 General Elections?
Didn't know, so looked it up - surprised that has happened so recently
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2011, 05:08:41 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2011, 05:10:41 PM by Peter »

1. Caroline Lucas won the seat of Brighton Pavilion for which party in the 2010 General Election?
Green Party
2. How many Sinn Fein MPs were elected in the 2010 General Election, although they have yet to take their seats?
3. Who did Gordon Brown refer to as a 'sort of bigoted woman' when caught unawares on air during the 2010 Election campaign?

4. In which city was the second televised debate between the Party leaders in April 2010?
Edinburgh?
5. Who was the only Independent candidate elected in 2010, winning Down North by more than 14,000 votes?
Sylvia Hermon
6. How many MPs formed the new Parliament?
7. In which constituency was Speaker John Bercow elected unopposed by any of the major Parties, as tradition dictates?
Buckingham
8. What was the title of the Conservative Party's 2010 election Manifesto?
Change you believe in
9. Which Party Leader escaped serious injury in a 'plane crash on the day of the Election?
Nigel Farage
10. To within +/-15[%] what was the UK turnout in the 2010 General Election?
59%
11. Which Labour Cabinet Minister held onto his Morley and Outwood Constituency with a much reduced majority?
Ed Balls
12. Why was the election in the Thirsk and Malton Constituency postponed until May 27th?
Death of a candidate
13. Who was the outgoing Labour Chief Secretary to the Treasury who left a note for his successor saying "I am afraid there is no money.  Kind regards and good luck"?
14. Which Major Party's Election Manifesto was entitled "Change that works for you (Building a Fairer Britain)"?
Lib Dems
15. How many seats did Labour lose in the 2010 Election?
16. Which multi-millionaire Tory candidate took the Richmond Park seat from the Liberal Democrats?
Zac Goldsmith
17. Nick Clegg, Chris Huhne, Danny Alexander, David Laws and which other Liberal Democrat were in the first Coalition Government?
Vince Cable
18. Which North East Constituency won the race to make the first declaration in the 2010 General Election?
Sunderland South and Houghton
19. Which 80 year old Labour Conservative MP became the 'Father' of the new House?
Sir Peter Tapsell
20. Which seat did former Labour Home Secretary Jacqui Smith lose in the election?
I want to say Norwich North, but that was Charles Clarke. Urgh, Walsall South?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2011, 05:09:19 PM »

PRESENT DAY:
Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath?
Caroline Lucas, Brighton Pavilion
John Prescott, Labour, Blair Ministry
?
Nigel Farage challenged John Bercow, Speaker and MP for Buckingham. He was in a plane crash on election day

HISTORICAL:
Kinnock? 1989
?
Ted Heath?
Jim Prior was a wet minister in the Thatcher ministry - Employment then Northern Ireland I think
Barbara Castle was a Labour Cabinet minister in the 60/70s. She was the transport minister who introduced the breathalyzer.
Donald Dewar was the Labour Secretary of State for Scotland under Blair and the first First Minister for Scotland.

Harold Macmillan
David Blunkett?
Didn't know, so looked it up - surprised that has happened so recently

9/14, I think.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies