T-Paw is done
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:30:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  T-Paw is done
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: T-Paw is done  (Read 7688 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2011, 06:32:26 PM »

I think Phil was being sarcastic, brtd

I absolutely wasn't. I've always liked Pawlenty. He was my second choice until Perry got in.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »

T-paw is gunning to be Perry's veep.
milhouse24
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2011, 07:08:59 PM »

I hope he at least made a deal with Romney to be his VP for dropping out this early lol
If he stuck it out, he might be able to get a talk show or a book deal.  
I guess he just wants to stop wasting donors money even if he didn't have any left
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2011, 07:10:48 PM »

Pawlenty made Brownback look like a charismatic and exciting candidate.
I was right. He was Brownback 2.0, as I predicted!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2011, 07:50:55 PM »

I am surprised he quit.  He did respectably enough and came in first in the straw poll of the "establishment" candidates.  Only thing that makes sense is that some of major fundraisers must have set an Ames threshold for him to exceed to continue bothering and he didn't clear it.

I'd think most of his support goes to Perry for now.  As the new kid on the block, Perry is the candidate that it would make sense for the backstreet fundraisers to be insistent that T-Paw shut hs operation down.

$$$$.  It dried up, and when that happens, it's over.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »

I'm not sure why everyone here is surprised by this. He spent everything on this poll and his showing was dreadful. He needed to go. Some of the others should follow suit.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »

I'm not sure why everyone here is surprised by this. He spent everything on this poll and his showing was dreadful. He needed to go. Some of the others should follow suit.

Indeed.  But it's kind of sad.  (Dan) Rather, I think it means just shows how much time has passed already with both this campaign and Obama's rather disappointing Presidency.  I would like to have thought Pawlenty's drop out date would be a different scenario than the Pawthetic joke it ended up being.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »

What did Pawlenty bring to the table that Santorum didn't? I never understood why Pawlenty was treated as a super-serious candidate and Santorum a complete joke.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2011, 09:25:37 PM »

What did Pawlenty bring to the table that Santorum didn't? I never understood why Pawlenty was treated as a super-serious candidate and Santorum a complete joke.

Santorum's defeat will always haunt him.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2011, 09:40:07 PM »

Aren't we smart enough to understand what swing state + moderate opponent with popular father + Republican in 2006 equals?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »

Aren't we smart enough to understand what swing state + moderate opponent with popular father + Republican in 2006 equals?

Akno, you are a hero to sane people everywhere.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2011, 11:57:12 PM »

No, Akno is not a hero.  Rick Santorum, he's the real hero.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2011, 12:12:24 AM »

Absolutely, though the loss will be hard to overcome.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2011, 02:16:05 AM »

Pawlenty won in a swing state in 2006. His opponent also seemed pretty moderate to me although he did lack the popular father.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2011, 03:54:50 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2011, 09:27:01 AM by Rip Marky Mark »

Well I guess this answers my question.

EDIT: Damn it I've been slipping.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2011, 04:03:25 AM »

Santorum is insane.
Pawlenty was just a tool that shamelessly pandered to the unwashed masses that we call "Republican primary electorate".
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2011, 06:06:03 AM »

Cool, now we can quit pretending that he was ever a serious contender.
Angel of Death
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2011, 10:22:08 AM »

The entirety of Pawlenty's modus operandi consisted of trying to get himself equated with Mr. "Generic Republican" in the eyes of the electorate. There was simply nothing else.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2011, 11:10:09 AM »

Santorum is insane.
Pawlenty was just a tool that shamelessly pandered to the unwashed masses that we call "Republican primary electorate".

Santorum clearly showed himself to the left of the field of Ames at the debate by acknowledging the possibility that liberals are also human beings and should be negotiated with instead of fed to wolves.

Pawlenty was probably also very liberal on this issue, but was too busy trying kill Bachmann as a hired assassin of the Romney campaign.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2011, 11:19:19 AM »

Pawlenty won in a swing state in 2006. His opponent also seemed pretty moderate to me although he did lack the popular father.

Pawlenty also did a lot more straying to the left of Republican orthodoxy back in his day than Santorum ... which one would think would work in Santorum's favor.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2011, 02:55:42 AM »

Pawlenty also did a lot more straying to the left of Republican orthodoxy back in his day than Santorum ... which one would think would work in Santorum's favor.

Also Pawlenty was a Governor whereas Santorum was a Senator. Gubernatorial races are as a rule much less partisan than their Senatorial counterparts.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2011, 10:28:06 AM »

T-Paw isn't anti-gay to a radical degree and doesn't have his last name as a dirty word.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2011, 10:41:48 AM »

T-Paw isn't anti-gay to a radical degree and doesn't have his last name as a dirty word.

And positions on gay rights have been a major issue in this campaign since when, exactly?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »

Oh yeah, and remember how he was the least popular incumbent Senator? That probably had something to do with it too.

Purposely miss quoting someone is ban territory, dude. Good move.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2011, 10:50:27 AM »

sh**t, I meant to post that myself as my own reply.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies