Favorite mainline Protestant church
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:29:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Favorite mainline Protestant church
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Favorite mainline church?
Anglican/Episcopal

Methodist

Lutheran

Presbyterian/Reformed

UCC/Congregationalist

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Favorite mainline Protestant church  (Read 1883 times)
Globus Cruciger
Orb
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2011, 01:41:57 AM »

I'm not asking about particular denominations - so, for instance, rather than worry about ELCA vs. LCMS vs. WELS, just give your opinion of the general Lutheran tradition.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 02:10:38 AM »

Well since the more conservative Lutherans really suck, I'll vote for UCC/Congregationalist.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 05:34:55 AM »

Obviously voted for my own (Episcopal); after that, Congregationalist.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:55:13 AM »

None of the above (or rather, three of the above). My vote is the United Church of Canada which is a mix of Methodism, Presbyterianism and Congregationalist.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 10:05:15 AM »

"Mainline" is a fairly useless label, especially when describing general denominational traditions. It doesn't even work when speaking of longstanding organizations because the ELCA, PCUSA, UCC, and UMC are themselves the results of mergers that took place in the last 50 years.

In an American context it's even less useful because the term "mainline" just means liberal, and a move away from denominational distinctives. This makes them both less mainstream within broader Christianity and less distinct as denominations.

Also I don't know why you didn't include Baptist, as there is a large "mainline" Baptist presence, in the American Baptist Churches (1.3 Million), The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship (around 2,000 churches) and the Alliance of Baptists (65,000).

The Congregationalists and Baptists(more arguably) both flow from the Reformed tradition, but aren't Presbyterians. Even Continental Reformed and Presbyterians have their differences in emphasis and foundational documents. There has always been a large Reformed-evangelical-low church presence in Anglicanism as well.

However, of the options given, I'd say Presbyterian/Reformed, because the Westminster Confession and Catechisms as well as the Three Forms of Unity are pretty close to my doctrinal views (exceptions being baptism and church polity).
Globus Cruciger
Orb
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 11:27:01 AM »

"Mainline" is a fairly useless label, especially when describing general denominational traditions. It doesn't even work when speaking of longstanding organizations because the ELCA, PCUSA, UCC, and UMC are themselves the results of mergers that took place in the last 50 years.

In an American context it's even less useful because the term "mainline" just means liberal, and a move away from denominational distinctives. This makes them both less mainstream within broader Christianity and less distinct as denominations.

Maybe it wasn't quite the best word, I was trying to use "mainline" to contrast the traditional, European-founded, more liturgically-minded churches with the newer American-founded denominations or "nondenominational" Evangelical churches.

Also I don't know why you didn't include Baptist, as there is a large "mainline" Baptist presence, in the American Baptist Churches (1.3 Million), The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship (around 2,000 churches) and the Alliance of Baptists (65,000).

So despite their Anabaptist roots in Europe, it seemed to me that Baptists fitted better with the other category.

Even Continental Reformed and Presbyterians have their differences in emphasis and foundational documents.

Maybe, but I don't think there's any real doctrinal contradiction between the two. And anyhow, in the US, Presbyterians seems to be much more numerous, so I relegate the Reformed to junior partner status. Smiley
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 11:39:12 AM »

I wasn't trying to criticize your poll, except with regards to the exclusion of Baptists; I knew what you meant. It was more of a criticism of popular terminology that results from a general lack of knowledge about church history in the United States. There wasn't really a better way you could have stated it, unfortunately. That was my beef.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 12:14:46 AM »

You left out the Disciples of Christ too.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 04:57:07 PM »

Episcopals are all so cool and British...
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 10:06:28 PM »

Even though I am an episcopal (confirmed) - I like the Australian Uniting Church... which is kind of like Australia's methodists... very calm and reality-based.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 10:27:20 PM »

Even though I am an episcopal (confirmed) - I like the Australian Uniting Church... which is kind of like Australia's methodists... very calm and reality-based.

From the Wikipedia article they sound like a merger of largely the same groups in the United Church of Canada.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 11:10:46 PM »

I voted for my own, UCC.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »

Methodists of course (formerly was one)
I consider Wesleyans a stream of Methodist.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 09:54:44 PM »

The Lutherans around here are a fun bunch, though I imagine they suck elsewhere.  Episcopalians seem to be universally good drinking buddies.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 12:01:25 AM »

The Lutherans around here are a fun bunch, though I imagine they suck elsewhere.

Are they mostly ELCA? If so then it's just the same here. Of course it varies on area, your typical ELCA church in Minneapolis is the type of place where if it became known you plan on voting to ban gay marriage you'd be far far more likely to have people start publicly praying over you and whatnot than if you were openly gay. It's a bit different I imagine in the rural areas where the ELCA churches are everywhere but are exclusively attended by olds and have really boring traditional services. That's why I didn't vote for Lutheranism.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 12:10:18 AM »

The Lutherans around here are a fun bunch, though I imagine they suck elsewhere.

Are they mostly ELCA? If so then it's just the same here. Of course it varies on area, your typical ELCA church in Minneapolis is the type of place where if it became known you plan on voting to ban gay marriage you'd be far far more likely to have people start publicly praying over you and whatnot than if you were openly gay. It's a bit different I imagine in the rural areas where the ELCA churches are everywhere but are exclusively attended by olds and have really boring traditional services. That's why I didn't vote for Lutheranism.

The Lutherans around here fly a gay pride flag and are a cross way from Unitarian.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 12:18:03 AM »
« Edited: August 16, 2011, 12:20:23 AM by I Can't Get There From Here »

The Lutherans around here fly a gay pride flag and are a cross way from Unitarian.

Oh yeah that's definitely ELCA. It's not surprising that outside of their "homeland" in the Midwest they're just a church for generic liberalism, like the Episcopalians or United Church of Christ outside of their traditional areas.

I actually saw an ELCA church around southwest Minneapolis somewhere with a sign that said "WELCOME" with all the letters being different colors of the rainbow. Here's a fun comparison by the way:

http://www.gaychurch.org/Find_a_Church/united_states/us_minnesota.htm (try reading just Minneapolis and St. Paul)

http://www.gaychurch.org/Find_a_Church/united_states/us_north_dakota.htm (the one listed in Bismarck is my parents' church, and they probably still have a majority at any service against gay marriage. They just won't tell anyone they're going to hell for being gay.)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »

Methodists.
John Doe
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 05:56:09 PM »

My father raised me as a Lutheran, and that is what I will die as.

Regards,
John Doe
Globus Cruciger
Orb
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 10:44:40 AM »

The poor Calvinists aren't getting any love. Sad
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: