Chris Shays (R-CT) to run for U.S. Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:50:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chris Shays (R-CT) to run for U.S. Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Chris Shays (R-CT) to run for U.S. Senate  (Read 3524 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2011, 11:12:59 AM »

Former Rep. Chris Shays (R) will be challenging Linda McMahon for the GOP nomination for U.S. Senate in 2012. Shays survived the 2006 wave despite heavy targeting, but was defeated in 2008 due to strong Presidential-level turnout.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/shays_running_senate_connecticut-208086-1.html
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 11:28:25 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2011, 11:31:26 AM by Vosem »

Mike Castle 2.0

EDIT: Apparently a poll shows Shays only two points behind Murphy (within the margin of error). That probably makes him ahead of Bysiewicz, who generally polls weaker than Murphy (again, within the margin of error). So says Wikipedia on its biographical of Shays, linking to this blog (http://blogs.courant.com/rick_green/2011/07/luntz-poll-the-real-bad-news-i.html).
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 11:53:03 AM »

Excellent news. Assuming McMahon doesn't win the primary, we can put forward a candidate fit for office.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:54:37 AM »

If he's the nominee, it will end up being a 56-44 win for Murphy in the general.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:01:33 PM »

McMahon is running again?!?!!
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:02:23 PM »

If he's the nominee, it will end up being a 56-44 win for Murphy in the general.

I don't think you can seriously argue that Shays would do worse than McMahon.

That is what is being assumed by Connecticut Republicans, yes.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 12:14:31 PM »

If Ned Lamont would of won and Lieberman wasn't a spoiler candidate he would of been the incumbant. Now, we have to defend what should be a safe Democratic seat to another moderate republican. Chris Shays has an even chance or better of winning this seat.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »

That's not really worse than McMahon's number. In a Presidential year, I honestly don't see how he wins. At best, his number would be 54-46.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:31:46 PM »

That's not really worse than McMahon's number. In a Presidential year, I honestly don't see how he wins. At best, his number would be 54-46.
There are many instances that prove Presidential elections don't necessarily reflect Senatorial elections. Maine is a perfect example of this, as well as Nebraska, North Dakota, Montana, Arkansas, New Hampshire, etc.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 01:03:40 PM »

There are many instances that prove Presidential elections don't necessarily reflect Senatorial elections. Maine is a perfect example of this, as well as Nebraska, North Dakota, Montana, Arkansas, New Hampshire, etc.

Maybe so, but I still don't see any compelling argument that Shays will win.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 01:20:33 PM »

If Simmons couldn't survive a primary against a joke like McMahon, then I can't see how an even more moderate/liberal Republican can do it.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 02:25:59 PM »

If Simmons couldn't survive a primary against a joke like McMahon, then I can't see how an even more moderate/liberal Republican can do it.

Money.

Shays district is one of the wealthiest in the country, and he's got a lot of very strong corporate contacts from his time as a congressman. Not saying he'd win a primary, but he's a much stronger candidate than Simmons on most every level—especially seniority and ability to fundraise.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 02:39:12 PM »

Money.

Shays district is one of the wealthiest in the country, and he's got a lot of very strong corporate contacts from his time as a congressman. Not saying he'd win a primary, but he's a much stronger candidate than Simmons on most every level—especially seniority and ability to fundraise.

It probably also hurt that Simmons effectively ended his campaign then resurrected it. What a joke move.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 02:45:22 PM »

Money.

It probably also hurt that Simmons effectively ended his campaign then resurrected it. What a joke move.

He suspended his campaign when he lost the Republican convention, which was expected to be a cakewalk for him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 02:52:06 PM »

Money.

He suspended his campaign when he lost the Republican convention, which was expected to be a cakewalk for him.

That doesn't mean he would have gotten demolished in the primary especially since I believe McMahon was beginning to show her...eh...colorful side more often.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 02:53:37 PM »

Money.

That doesn't mean he would have gotten demolished in the primary especially since I believe McMahon was beginning to show her...eh...colorful side more often.

Republicans were clearly in a mood for colorful candidates last year (Angle, O'Donnel, Buck, etc.).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 03:13:19 PM »

I never said Simmons would have won.  Wink
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 03:23:38 PM »

The Republicans need more people like Chris Shays.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »

I hope he wins, but I'm not hopeful. McMahon has all the money in the world to throw at the race. Shays will beat Simmon's performance for sure, but I assume he'll lose like Castle lost.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 05:48:03 PM »

Shays hasn't actually lived in Connecticut in the past few years. He moved to St. Michaels, Maryland (a town on the Eastern Shore where Dick Cheney also maintains a residence), after he lost.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 06:42:39 PM »

I think his best bet is to form a "Connecticut for Shays" Party.  Sadly, he can't win the primary.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 01:38:58 AM »

Money.

No, no he wasn't.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 02:00:55 AM »

I hope he wins, but I'm not hopeful. McMahon has all the money in the world to throw at the race. Shays will beat Simmon's performance for sure, but I assume he'll lose like Castle lost.

Castle had the full establishment backing, which wont be the case here. Im sure both What's and McMahon would have sizable party support and even without Healy at the helm I expect McMahon's money to win out. Not that it is that significant to put so much effort into losing to Chris Murphy, but you know how it goes.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 06:00:56 AM »

Connecticut, like a number of other states, has a system where candidates for election can be nominated by more than one party.

In 2010, the Democratic nominee for Governor received 540,970 votes on the Democratic line and 26,308 as the Working Families candidate, thereby outpolling the Republican nominee who received 560,874 votes.  Without the votes as the Working Families nominee, the Democratic candidate would NOT have had a plurality!

This circumstance has given the left in Connecticut considerable political clout.

It has been suggested that conservatives in Connecticut may follow a similar path.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 12:22:57 PM »

I for one welcome Senator Murphy.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »